“No interior deadbolt locks!”
Review of Wapiti Lodge

Wapiti Lodge
Ranked #8 of 12 Durango B&B and Inns
Pagosa Springs, Colorado
“No interior deadbolt locks!”
Reviewed December 28, 2013

FYI: Be aware that interior deadbolt locks are not provided in these rooms. Nor are peepholes or "Do Not Disturb" door hangers provided. There is no way to eliminate the possibility of being interrupted by housekeeping or anyone with a key while you shower or are otherwise indisposed, as happened to me, due to a major miscommunication within the office staff. The only interior lock is in the doorknob, the type with a button in the center that you push in. I discussed this with a locksmith afterward and was told it is the type of lock that can easily be picked, or can be opened with a "bump-lock key" from the exterior. Otherwise, the room was very clean.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Marsha B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Hebrew first
Durango, Colorado
Reviewed November 14, 2013

Smaller older property. Parking in front of rooms. Right on highway 160, so if traffic noise bothers you this is not the best choice in Durango. The motel has a lovely lawn in front with big shade trees and even barbecues for guest use. Also playground equipment for kids. Sleeping area of rooms is large. Bathrooms are small. It's clean, comfortable, and a good value. An easy walk to town if you are used to walking. The owners are very nice and accommodating. Having said that, on my stay they put me in a room they had reserved for someone else and asked me to move to another room which was full of gnats as the door had been left open. Also this seems to be a place where oil and gas workers stay and they were not very quiet, slamming doors on rooms and trucks very early in the morning. This motel has been for sale for quite a while, with no takers so there may be some weariness at play in the owners and staff.

Room Tip: There seems to some differences in maintenance levels of the rooms. I would ask to see the room befo...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank KB6CLA
Clinton
Reviewed August 8, 2013

The staff was very accommodating, nice and easy to deal with. The room was clean, comfortable, well maintained and a good value. Also a short walk to downtown. I will certainly stay there in the future.

• Stayed August 2013
Troy, Ohio
Reviewed November 30, 2012

My significant other and I stayed here my last evening in Colorado so I'd be closer to the airport for my 6am flight. The staff was friendly and it was a cute little motel, but there wasn't anything super spectacular about it. The rates were rather high considering the lack of accommodations (no mini-fridge, microwave, limited tv channels, etc) and the walls were quite thin. The room was clean and the beds were rather comfortable. There was no breakfast or coffee offered so if you eat breakfast you'll have to venture down the street to a restaurant. I really liked that the check-out process was as simple as dropping your hotel key through the slot in the office door. The next time I fly into/out of Durango I'd most likely stay here again (assuming of course that nothing cheaper is available).

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BioAnthroNerd11
Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed October 3, 2012 via mobile

Just needed a bed and shower and that is what it lodge offered. Very clean, room bed and bathroom, very clean.
Excellent place to spend a night, free wifi, no frills, drop you key in the slot next
Morning and your checked out.
It's not a resort, was not meant to be.
Just a clean place to stay.

• Stayed September 2012
San Diego, California
Reviewed August 14, 2012

My son and I were traveling with another father/son on a fishing trip. I have stayed in Durango many times and love the town. Most trips we stay at the Strater which is a special experience. On this trip though we were heading out each day with our gear and a motel was in order for the ease of access. We also wanted to do most of our own cooking. The Wapiti filled the bill nicely. The room was very clean and the kitchen met our needs. There is also an outside charcoal grill. What sets this place apart though is a great location (a short walk from the main street in Durango) and its park like setting. There is a beautiful lawn with mature tall trees that form a courtyard. Whether you sat in the courtyard or on the front porch outside your room it was nice respite in the afternoon/early evening and provided the opportunity to meet fellow travelers. If you plan on wine or cocktails will you need your own glasses though. The only provided large tumblers. I drove around town during our stay to check out the other motels and this is clearly the best option. If you want something nicer then go to the Strater but this is by far the best motel. We will return.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jim67_12
Minnesota
Reviewed July 20, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Wapiti Lodge on July 15 for one night. We were in town for my nephews wedding and decided to stay one more night. The Wapiti was recommended to us by a relative who had stayed here and said it was not fancy but clean. That was an appropriate description. The lodge is one level, park in front of your room time of property. Room options are King bed or queen bed or kitchenette rooms. We booked a queen room and paid about $100 for the night; more than I would be willing to pay for a motel of this type, but this is a tourist town - so expect to pay higher prices for lodging! No breakfast offered (as the B&B categorization might suggest). In room wifi worked well. The bed was comfortable. There was a swingset outside our room for kids to play on. Located right off the highway on the southwest side of Durango. We did have an issue getting our room unlocked with the key. The woman working came down with another key (an Actual Key, not an electronic card) and by wiggling the door knob in the right place we were able to enter. She was very kind and my husband enjoyed talking to her about our plans in Durango.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple