“It was okay”

Mongolian Grill
Ranked #60 of 204 Restaurants in Durango
Cuisines: Asian
Reviewed May 22, 2013

I visited with my husband and two sons. It is very close to WalMart so we thought we would check it out. The bar is ok. The experience of picking out your own meats and veggies, etc for them to personally grill for you was neat. But I thought it was a bit pricey for what you get. The service was also not great. We had to actually go up to the counter to ask for additional items. We will not return:-(

Reviewed December 31, 2012

I went with large group of family recently to Mongolian Grill on Sunday afternoon. The restaurant is close to Wal-Mart right off main road coming in/out of Durango. The restaurant offers buffet and menu. We all had the buffet that includes soup, egg rolls and buffet. The buffet has multiple protein choices, veggies, sauces and herbs. You put ingredients in bowl and they cook for you. It is quite tasty. Plus, it is all you can eat.

Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

My family and I were visiting from out if town and looking for a quick place to eat lunch, we came across Mongolian Grill as we were shopping for a few necessities at Wal-Mart. With two small children we opted out of the buffet and ordered lunch, General Taos Chicken and Orange Chicken (not spicy). Service was friendly and fast. The food on the other hand was terrible, just tasted overcooked (or over warmed????) and terrible, I can't even describe it! My kiddos, who love Chinese, were even begging to not have to eat all their meal. Afterwards the whole family spent the next few hours in the bathroom with terrible stomach aches....if you get my drift! Definitely not how we wanted to spend the last day of our weekend outing!!!

Reviewed November 26, 2012

Normally when you see "Grill", you think barbecue and you'd be partially correct. Mongolian Grill does have barbecue, but Chinese style; and, in general, awesome Chinese food throughout their vast menu. The interior is open, airy and bright; the all you eat buffet and grill situated away from the main dining area, so no people crowding near the tables while getting their food. This is a family run establishment and they're all friendly, and attentive to the needs of their guests.

After ordering, condiments and rice are placed on your table. The egg drop soup is light in flavor and taste; the wonton soup's broth is highly seasoned with black pepper and the wontons themselves are out of this world. We wanted to sample all the appetizers, so ordered the Pu Pu Platter for Two (minimum order); it was all outstanding! No one appetizer outshone the others, they were all done very well in taste, flavor and texture.

The Beef Ho Fun is very similar to Cantonese Chow Fun except the noodles are not as wide. Mongolian Grill did an excellent job on this dish with thinly sliced grilled beef and perfectly cooked noodles. It all tasted just as yummy when I reheated the leftovers the next day. The Sizzling 3 Flavor with Vegetables is a House Specialty which contains chicken, beef, shrimp and vegetables in a rich, savory brown sauce. It is presented on a very hot cast iron platter; the food sizzling and steaming; absolutely delicious!

Sadly, we have one complaint about Mongolian Grill; they are not in our own area and we have to travel two hours for the opportunity of enjoying their wonderful atmosphere and, most especially, the food. If you are in Durango and want sumptuous Chinese cuisine, go to Mongolian Grill.

1  Thank Mary C
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We came here twice with friends who had discovered this place while at Walmart (it’s out of Durango off the highway).

There is a fixed priced buffet lunch – which sounds a little dodgy until you realise that the buffet has a selection of fresh (excluding the seafood & processed meat), uncooked ingredients; you take a bowl and fill it full with your choice of ingredients (meat, seafood, vegetables, noodles, sauces etc) then take it to the front of the restaurant where it is cooked over a (massive) hot plate in front of you.

And it’s a buffet – so you can go back for seconds or thirds if you’re still feeling hungry. On both occasions we came here, we opted for smaller servings so that we could have seconds – there are plenty of ingredients and at least 9 different sauces to choose from, so you can make your second dish completely different from the first.

I can’t remember the price now, but I think it was only 8 or 9 USD each, now that’s a fabulous price for unlimited tasty nosh!!

Been to Mongolian Grill? Share your experiences!