“Don't Waste Your $”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Purgatory Resort

Purgatory Resort
Ranked #5 of 64 things to do in Durango
More attraction details
Owner description: Purgatory Resort is a family-friendly, four-season resort offering a variety of activities for all ages. In the winter, enjoy alpine skiing and snowboarding, snow shoeing, horse-drawn sleigh rides, Nordic skiing, snowmobiling and more. Summer and fall offers hiking, mountain biking, Alpine Slide rides, zipline, scenic chairlift, disc golf, bungee trampolines, climbing walls, miniature golf and more.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Don't Waste Your $”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

If you are going strictly for the Purgatory attractions/rides, don't do it. When you buy the ticket for the rides, it is expensive & it is timed. You only have 4 hours to do everything and/or you can pay more to add an hour. Now, in saying that, you look around & think ok, not much to do, I can get all this done in 4 hours, NOPE! We stood in line for 2 1/2 hours for the Alpine Slide, then got on the ski lift & dropped off where you go down the Alpine Slide. It started to drizzle & they closed the slide down. By the time a bus came & took us down, our 4 hours was up. This was at 4pm & the park is only open til 4:45pm. The Manager at the customer service desk said they do not give refunds, only rain checks. I explained to her that I saw/heard her give several people in front of me refunds & I wanted the same. She finally did give me my money back, was very apparently not happy about it! There was approximately 50 ppl in line with the same complaints as mine! From what I see online, this seems to be there daily practice. Too bad I looked after the fact!

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Chris-Kandi K

Bend, Oregon
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Tourist Rip-off!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

My family purchased the TAT 4 hour "adventure" ticket to use the park's alpine slide as the majority of the other activities are children oriented.

Our 4 hour period was spent standing in a line that barely moved. We were able to use the slide once before it was closed due to a slight drizzle (for 3 minutes!) after 3 1/2 hours of waiting.

We have used alpine slides on many occasions, at Bromley in Vermont, at Attittash in New Hampshire and here when it was called Purgatory. NEVER have I seen such inefficiency! What an incredible waste of $135 for 3 people!

You have been warned.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank KindaNastyTraveler
DurangoMtnResort, Public Relations Manager at Purgatory Resort, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. The team at DMR has reviewed your comments and are implementing ways to address the long lines with the Alpine Slide. Thanks again for your comments as we work to make the operation more efficient.
Alvaton, Kentucky
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Durango Mountain Resort”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

Great views on the chair lifts !! Food is good (expensive) at the outdoor restaurants and the resort is great.

1 Thank pennyemmy
Phoenix, Arizona
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Rented a condo - fabulous place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

We rented an Elk Point townhome for a 4 night stay - we were a family of 6 - it could have slept 12. Fully equipped kitchen, walking distance to ski lift and resort amenities, and a deck with a million-dollar view. We hope to return.

Conroe, TX
“Fun.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

The mountain biking in the area was awesome. The bike shop was very helpful at getting me squared away. Lots of activity for kids.

Visited June 2013

Been to Purgatory Resort? Share your experiences!