“Lots of Summer Fun”
Review of Purgatory Resort

Purgatory Resort
Ranked #11 of 77 things to do in Durango
More attraction details
Owner description: Purgatory Resort is a family-friendly, four-season resort offering a variety of activities for all ages. In the winter, enjoy alpine skiing and snowboarding, snow shoeing, horse-drawn sleigh rides, Nordic skiing, snowmobiling and more. Summer and fall offers hiking, mountain biking, Alpine Slide rides, zipline, scenic chairlift, disc golf, bungee trampolines, climbing walls, miniature golf and more.
Reviewed September 5, 2012

I was leery of going here because of previous bad reviews, but my 9 and 11 year old kids had already seen the brochure and were dying to zipline so I couldn't back out. I am so glad we went, we had six hours of non-stop fun. We bought the all-inclusive $50 pass figuring $13.00 is too much to pay for one trip down the alpine slide. The kids loved the bungee jumping and the climbing wall, the mechanical bull was too difficult to ride. Then we lined up for the alpine slide. We never waited in line for more than 20 minutes and the ride down was entirely worth it. The sleds have brakes on them so you can go as fast or slow as you want and the track is curvy so it very exciting. When our four hour pass had expired we went to the zipline station. It was the perfect introduction to ziplining for my kiddos since it was short and not too elevated. We had a wonderful time and would go back in a heartbeat. The staff were all very friendly and welcoming and the zip lining assistants in particular were very safety minded. Definitely worth the time and money!

2  Thank crucesaggie
in 13 reviews
"ski trip"
in 17 reviews

Reviewed September 5, 2012

Stayed three nights in a beautiful 3 story 4bd/3ba (Elkpoint). The kitchen was fully equipped which was nice because there really wasn't anywhere to eat besides Purgy's. The bed in the master suite was very comfortable, however it was a queen and a king was advertised. Master bath was really nice as well with double sinks, a jetted garden tub, and a large walk in shower. The kids enjoyed the variety of board games that they found in the loft, but were less than pleased by the tiny projection televisions in the bedrooms and living room. Also, the wifi was sketchy.
The fitness room had cardio machines and free weights and looked nice. The pool was clean and not crowded; it was the same with the hot tub.
The Total Adventure Tickets are Big Stupid.
The Alpine Slide is by far the most popular, and was soooo much fun. However, I can't say that it's worth $10 a run (which is about what it comes out to with a 4 hour pass and 45 minute lines). The second favorite for my boys was the bungee trampoline. This was more BS because the ticket allows the holder to choose two activites (mechanical bull, rock wall, or bungee trampoline)... but they couldn't choose the bungee twice... only once per ticket. The mechanical bull sat untouched all weekend because it was lame, which left only the rock wall for the second activity "choice". DMR really needs to reconsider the way they are running things with the adventure tickets. Curently, price doesn't equal value.
All in all, the resort is cool and comfortable. The surrounding scenery is beautiful, and there are plenty of activites for all ages... it just seems a bit over-priced.

3  Thank Mark_Mendra
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I have NEVER taken the time to write a review, so you know it must be worthwhile :) I'm going to make this as short as possible. I spent a lot of time finding the right place to go for my birthday, and a place where my family could have a great time together during the summer. I found DMR, and the pictures of the 2 bedroom condo were gorgeous...the kind of rooms we prefer to stay in (clean, updated, warm feel, etc...). When I opened the door to our room, I stood in absolute shock and almost cried. I felt like I went back to 1985 instantly. They falsely advertise their rooms on their website - showing rooms you won't actually get (with no disclaimer saying that the pics shown may not actually be your room). The carpet, matresses, blankets, etc...were all original in the unit. NO updates were made AT ALL, unlike the pictures I saw online. There was also a pubic hair in the master shower. Their "maid service" was a joke - don't fall for the other lie on their site - they merely made the beds and picked up towels. No wiping counters, sweeping floors, etc....and there was no broom available in the room either.

The staff at DMR is clueless. One hand doesn't know what the other is doing. We constantly got different times of various activities/services from different people, and no one knew anything regarding what was going on at the resort. There is so much room for improvement in their staff, that it's mind boggling. It's almost like they pull people off the street, throw a DMR shirt on them and put them to work with no training or education on the resort itself.

One night we ate at Purgy's (the restaurant there) and we left my son's brand new Keens and a top-of-the-line CamelBak on accident (he was exhausted after a day on the mountain and was laying in my lap), and when we went back not even an hour later, 2 people working there said they had them. When they went to retrieve them from behind the bar, they were gone. Vanished. My car keys were also in the backpack, so I had to get a locksmith out to my car (at the airport) when I came home a week later. The items weren't at lost and found, and no one could "imagine" what happened to them. The had my items, then they were gone. You can come up with your own theory. In addition, I was told that someone would call me, but no one ever did - and I kept going back to the office asking for help.

The VP of guest relations lied to me. I can put up with a lot of things, but lying to me isn't one of them. Long story that I won't bore you with, but trust me :)

I would recommend other resorts to spend your time and money - Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Heavenly, etc...are great resorts that know how to treat guests. I was shocked at the lack of cleanliness, falsely advertising their rooms and maid service, and a distrustworthy staff. There are too many other places to go to....I sincerely hope you will take this into consideration before booking here.

12  Thank Sunshine F
Reviewed August 12, 2012

We went here on a Monday thinking that it would not be that crowded. We were there at 8:45 to get the four hour tickets. We got our tickets and went out to the chair lift. We stood in line waiting until 9:30 for them to "dry the track". One would think that they would have the track ready to go when they opened at 9:00. So we got our first ride done by 10:00. Then the real lines came and we waited in line for an average of 40 minutes each time we wanted to ride the Alpine "standing in line" Sled. We ended up getting on 4 rides in our4 hours we were allowed. My recommendation would be to get the one ride ticket and not the 4 hour pass. It is not worth standing in line for so long to ride this and wasting a half of day.

3  Thank ogiaag3