“Our Favorite Part of the Trip”
Review of Rapp Corral

Rapp Corral
More attraction details
Owner description: We offer the absolute best in mountain trail riding and wonderful winter sleigh riding in the San Juan National Forest, just twenty miles north of Durango Colorado! Rapp Corral is an Equal Opportunity Service Provider/Employer and operates under Special Use Permit #COL770 from the USDA Forest Service, San Juan National Forest.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed October 7, 2013

The Rapp Corral met all of our expectations. Our only regret was not taking a longer ride. Ems and Sarah had the horses ready upon our arrival. Sarah led the way, was very knowledgeable of the area, and made the two-hour ride one to remember.

All reviews
in 15 reviews
"beautiful trails"
"trail guide"
in 4 reviews
"the san juan national forest"
in 8 reviews
in 138 reviews
in 21 reviews
in 19 reviews

Reviewed September 10, 2013

I rode with Rapp Corral twice - a three hour ride one day and a two hour ride another. The scenery was spectacular and the wranglers were friendly and knowledgeably about the flora and fauna of the area as well as the history of the area which made for a really interesting ride. The barn, guest area and corral were neat and organized - not easy if you've ever had horses, tack, etc. and the horses clean and obviously cared for.

I road Issac and Charlie Brown - both horses were a pleasure to ride and solid as rocks on some challenging trails. I'm far from petite and was worried there might not be a horse for me to ride but these guys were gems. (Charlie is a famous horse - having appeared in numerous western movies!).

Most important the horses' condition was Top priority. When Issac had a small muscle pull, they didn't hesitate to pull him out of the rotation and gave me Charlie instead. I love that the corral puts their animals' care 1st, followed closely by client safety and enjoyment.

2  Thank Martha T
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Great ride with great people. Our anniversary trip schedule changed in Durango but my wife wanted to got horseback riding. We called Tracy that morning and she agreed to fit us in despite their plans to close early. They are about 20 miles North of Durango right on 550 so we were able to get there easily and a bit early. Tracy was vey professional, efficient and pleasant to ride with. The horses she selected for us were perfect. Charley the horse took my inexperience in stride with good grace and manners. Thanks to all therefor going the extra step to make sure that we had a great experience.

1  Thank Dennis R
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Our family of 5 took the two hour ride and explored the cave. Of the 3 boys, only 1 was comfortable to start. The youngest boy had a bad experience on a horse previously. I told the staff about it & they selected a horse that was perfect for him. The staff spoke to him & assured him throughout the ride. Due to the staff, he had an excellent ride & now feels very differently about horses & horseback riding. The middle boy had never been horseback riding, again the staff spoke to him throughout the ride & ensured he knew how to control the horse. The staff made this a memorable ride for our family! We will definitely be back.

1  Thank Heather D
See more reviews
Reviewed August 24, 2013

During a recent vacation, myself, husband and 11 year old daughter wanted to take a ride, so we stopped in to ask about what their rates/availability were. The young lady we talked to was condescending and told us that they wouldn't take us on a ride longer than 2 hours because of our daughter's age. In fact, my daughter is a very experienced horseman and can handle longer hours in the saddle than myself. I walked back to the truck and went down the road to Buck's. They booked us according to our experience, not according to their guidelines. In short, Buck's treated us like individuals, while Rapp's treated us as though we couldn't possibly know as much about a horse as they did, and they would decide what we could do. Grrrrrr.......I don't much care to be condescended to.....and I certainly don't appreciate it from a snot nosed wet-behind-the-ears kid.

1  Thank Kim H
AnneRapp, Owner at Rapp Corral, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

Thank you for your comments, we all strive hard to help everyone select a ride that is right for them, with out knowing our guests. The wrangler sure could have approached the situation in a different way! We welcome you to come back and ride with us...our three hour trails are now reopened, as they were closed all last week with some bridge repair. We will certainely have a discussion on customer service...because for us Customer service carries the upmost importance. Again, we appreciate your comments...and it is my hopes that this experience will never happen again at Rapp Corral!