Durango and Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad and Museum
Open today: 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Book In Advance
Tours from Durango and Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad and Museum tend to sell out - travelers recommend booking in advance!
Why Book on TripAdvisor?
  • Tour highlights & full itinerary
  • Easy online booking
  • Lowest price guaranteed
More Information

Recommended experiences in and around Durango
from $49.00
from $65.00
from $147.65
from $324.95
5,009 results
All reviews both ways the bus open car open air silver vista presidential car knight sky concession car return trip polar express glass roof parlor car narration car cascade canyon beautiful scenery train trip steam engine
Reviewed July 9, 2006

When creating our itinerary for our Arizona-New Mexico-Colorado-Wyoming "road trip" the
Trip on the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad was a "must do" (based on comments by friends of ours)..

We were certainly not disappointed ! - We purchased the tickets on-line, about 2 months in advance. We wanted to be in the "parlor car" (adults only) - inside - with an attendant to serve us complimentary non-alcoholic drinks and snacks or take our drink order.

We stayed at the Doubletree in Durango the night before (see separate review) - then walked over to catch the 9:00 am departure. After being seated - my husband ordered a Bloody Mary -
I ordered coffee - the attendant served us wonderful breakfast pastries.

The trip itself is really hard to describe. Just wonderful sights to see throughout the entire trip. From the parlor car (last car on the train) you could step out onto the platform on the rear to take pictures. (Rule of only 4 people at a time, for a maximum of 10 minutes) - to prevent "platform hogs" - seemed that everyone in our car had plenty of time outside to take pictures and smell the wonderful mountain air.

Strongly recommend taking the train from Durango to Silverton, with the return trip on the
bus. (option provided at time of ticket purchase)

22  Thank ccliff5
Reviewed June 30, 2006

The train was unbelievable. Better than I expected. The views are incredible.

TIP: Ride the train (on the right side) to Silverton and the bus back. Best way to go.

You board in Durango and ride about 20 or so minutes close to town before you get away from the highway. From there on the best way to describe the train is wonderful. It is a 3.5 hour ride to Silverton. I rode on one of the open air gondolas, which I think is the best choice. I noticed that people from some of the other cars were coming through our car and would stop in ours.

Some other reviews complained about the soot. It is there and but you don’t get covered that bad. Do make sure you have glasses or sun glasses though.

We took the 9:45 train. It was packed out. We bought our tickets about 3 weeks prior to our trip from the website. www.durangotrain.com We received them in about a week. We originally asked for the 9 o’clock train but it was booked up. They emailed me the next day and offered either the later or earlier train. Some of the people on the train bought tickets that morning but I would advise against it. The city seems to be built around the train and skiing.

Silverton is a neat little town of which is really nothing other than souvenir shops and restaurants. We ate at Natalia’s 1912 Restaurant and had the buffet. My wife and I had soft drinks with our meal and paid $26 for the meal total. Food was very good. Staff a little odd though. But I would suggest eating there.
The bus ride back to Durango was also incredible. You get some views that are wonderful. It is a 1.5 hour ride back of some hairy turns, and breathtaking views of many of the mounts that reach 13,000 and 14,000 feet.
Note: The left side of the bus is better. The first ½ mile is a little nerve wrecking if you don’t like heights. But the rest is no problem.

48  Thank Beaux P
Reviewed June 22, 2006

My family took a ride on the Durango-Silverton Train in June 2006. It was great except for the fact the cinders from the train and the cottonwood trees upset my allergies tremendously. I thought I was getting a cold, but it all cleared up after I left the Durango area the next day. The train ride itself was great! The time flies while you are on the train! The river is beautiful.

13  Thank Jonesboro_ARAudrey
Reviewed July 26, 2005

The train ride was great. My granddaughter really enjoyed it. And the views! I agree with some of the other reviews, ride to Silverton on the train and take the narrated bus ride back. You'll learn alot about the area. Also, if you plan to raft or jeep the same day the better plan is to buy the combo package and let those folks take you back to Durango at the end of the day because the rafting/jeep trips usually start from Silverton or Needles.

18  Thank SEHBedford_Texas
Reviewed July 11, 2005

This is a "Can't Miss" when in Durango. We chose to ride in the renovated Parlor Car. The Service we received rates a A+, thanks to Sara, our attendant. The trip itself is a little pricey, but worth every penny. We were gone over 9 hours. It included a 2 hour stop in Silverton for lunch. We will take this trip again whenever we are in Durango. There is no way we could have seen such beautiful scenery such as the waterfalls from a car window.

13  Thank azartist