Durango and Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad and Museum
Book In Advance
More Info
$324.95*
and up
The Upper Animas Silverton Section Full-Day...
Ranked #2 of 47 things to do in Durango
More attraction details
Owner description: Hop aboard a coal-fired, steam-powered locomotive that travels along the same railroad tracks that miners, cowboys and the early settlers of the Old West used over a hundred years ago. The route winds in and out of canyons and past open wilderness affording great views. The price of a ticket also includes admission to the D&SNGRR Museum and the Silverton Freight Yard Museum.
Reviewed June 30, 2006

The train was unbelievable. Better than I expected. The views are incredible.

TIP: Ride the train (on the right side) to Silverton and the bus back. Best way to go.

You board in Durango and ride about 20 or so minutes close to town before you get away from the highway. From there on the best way to describe the train is wonderful. It is a 3.5 hour ride to Silverton. I rode on one of the open air gondolas, which I think is the best choice. I noticed that people from some of the other cars were coming through our car and would stop in ours.

Some other reviews complained about the soot. It is there and but you don’t get covered that bad. Do make sure you have glasses or sun glasses though.

We took the 9:45 train. It was packed out. We bought our tickets about 3 weeks prior to our trip from the website. www.durangotrain.com We received them in about a week. We originally asked for the 9 o’clock train but it was booked up. They emailed me the next day and offered either the later or earlier train. Some of the people on the train bought tickets that morning but I would advise against it. The city seems to be built around the train and skiing.

Silverton is a neat little town of which is really nothing other than souvenir shops and restaurants. We ate at Natalia’s 1912 Restaurant and had the buffet. My wife and I had soft drinks with our meal and paid $26 for the meal total. Food was very good. Staff a little odd though. But I would suggest eating there.
The bus ride back to Durango was also incredible. You get some views that are wonderful. It is a 1.5 hour ride back of some hairy turns, and breathtaking views of many of the mounts that reach 13,000 and 14,000 feet.
Note: The left side of the bus is better. The first ½ mile is a little nerve wrecking if you don’t like heights. But the rest is no problem.

48  Thank Beaux P
Write a ReviewReviews (5,005)
All reviews
in 184 reviews
"steam engine"
in 129 reviews

Reviewed June 22, 2006

My family took a ride on the Durango-Silverton Train in June 2006. It was great except for the fact the cinders from the train and the cottonwood trees upset my allergies tremendously. I thought I was getting a cold, but it all cleared up after I left the Durango area the next day. The train ride itself was great! The time flies while you are on the train! The river is beautiful.

13  Thank Jonesboro_ARAudrey
Reviewed July 26, 2005

The train ride was great. My granddaughter really enjoyed it. And the views! I agree with some of the other reviews, ride to Silverton on the train and take the narrated bus ride back. You'll learn alot about the area. Also, if you plan to raft or jeep the same day the better plan is to buy the combo package and let those folks take you back to Durango at the end of the day because the rafting/jeep trips usually start from Silverton or Needles.

18  Thank SEHBedford_Texas
Reviewed July 11, 2005

This is a "Can't Miss" when in Durango. We chose to ride in the renovated Parlor Car. The Service we received rates a A+, thanks to Sara, our attendant. The trip itself is a little pricey, but worth every penny. We were gone over 9 hours. It included a 2 hour stop in Silverton for lunch. We will take this trip again whenever we are in Durango. There is no way we could have seen such beautiful scenery such as the waterfalls from a car window.

13  Thank azartist
See more reviews
Reviewed July 8, 2005

We took this train ride on June 14, 2005. Upon the recommendation of reviewers on TripAdvisor, we rode the bus back and I am glad we did. The train ride is fun, the views are beautiful, and we took roll after roll of pictures, but I couldn't imagine spending all day on the train. Besides, on the bus ride, the driver narrates the drive. Plus, you get to see vistas you wouldn't have otherwise seen. The amount of time you get to spend in Silverton is just about right. You can grab some lunch and take some pictures. Since it is surrounded by mountains, the photo ops in Silverton are amazing. The people in the shops were very pleasant. We had lunch at the Bent Elbow. We suggest you try their pies. The pianist in the restaurant was a nice touch, not to mention the fact that he was very good. Take the train one way, the bus back, bring lots of film, and you will have a great time!

22  Thank Pioneer1504