“FUN Train themes for kids - Scenic in the summer or Winter (TIP Included)”

Durango and Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad and Museum
and up
Full-Day Trails and Rails Tour in Durango and Silverton CO
Ranked #1 of 71 things to do in Durango
More attraction details
Owner description: Hop aboard a coal-fired, steam-powered locomotive that travels along the same railroad tracks that miners, cowboys and the early settlers of the Old West used over a hundred years ago. The route winds in and out of canyons and past open wilderness affording great views. The price of a ticket also includes admission to the D&SNGRR Museum and the Silverton Freight Yard Museum.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
295 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 620 helpful votes
“FUN Train themes for kids - Scenic in the summer or Winter (TIP Included)”
Reviewed February 8, 2014

Start with the TIP......when riding in the summer avoid the open air car for too long, you'll find yourself covered in soot.

Check the website, they have many special events. We took Thomas the Train when my son was young and it was awesome, it is a Thomas Wonderland full of all the favorites including Percy and Sir Tophat. They also do a Polar Express around the holidays, totally cool with the entire family. They take a train ride up into the mountain pass and eventually to "the North Pole". The tell the story on the train ride there and the entire family gets cookies and hot chocolate. At the end each kid gets a bell on a string, like in the story. Truly Magical! A MUST DO!

Visited December 2013
2 Thank bruce p

wichita falls, texas
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“was a really neat trip up into the mountains”
Reviewed February 6, 2014

We loved the train and the day trip to Silverton. Found some great food and the scenery was wonderful.

Visited August 2013
Midland, Canada
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 181 helpful votes
“A train ride of a lifetime- The Durango- Silverton”
Reviewed January 30, 2014

I was really looking forward to the train ride- Since first stepping on Coloradan soil I dreamed of going on the legendary LINK TO NARROW GAUGE. After somewhat overcoming my fear of heights I just had to get on that steam engine. I adore train and boat rides and always thoroughly enjoy myself. When visiting any city, the first thing I check out is if there are any bus, boat or train tours.
The Durango Silverton ride is a real thrill- I chose to rode in the sky train - it was $100.00 dollars. Not cheap but well worth it. There are other options that are less expensive- some people sat in an outdoor car. We were greeted by a friendly host, water and a free carry bag- which came in hand immediately as I was trying to get all my cameras set up for the ride. We started right out of downtown and got a chance to see some of the less palatable living conditions. Soon enough we started to see mountain peaks and prairie dogs- The garrulous Parisian fellow behind me asked me what I was excited about and when I replied prairie dog he seemed rather disappointed and remained subdued for the better part of the journey.
The train does move slowly- which is a good thing considering how close we were to the edge of the mountain cliff. There are points when you can touch the rock.
One note- we sat right up at the front which was great because we had extra leg room. However, the access to the outdoor platform was right in by our seats. It was very cold and passengers were very busy going in and out - Choose a seat farther back.
We stopped at the Animus River in the San Juan forest- many passengers ate their lunch at the picnic benches by the river. I wish that I had brought a picnic. There is no place to buy food at the stop - so come prepared with your own food. The concession car did not have much to offer - the guide suggested the pull pork. I declined that - she had delivered free cinnamon donuts earlier. All non alcoholic beverages are free and I had one of the best Bloody Mary cocktails I have ever tasted.
We had the chance to stroll around the area and watch the engineer blow off the steam- extremely noisy but great fun. The ride home was peaceful and there were lots of opportunities for great photos of the stunning landscape.
I highly recommend this trip. I loved Durango and this train ride is a must do attraction.

Visited January 2014
4 Thank Elizabeth P
Texas
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Winter trip was great! ”
Reviewed January 23, 2014 via mobile

The scenery was gorgeous. The service was impeccable. The attendant was very knowledgeable along the route.

The pavilion had a nice fire upon arrival to the halfway point (The "wye" turnaround point). Very relaxing... the train will rock you to sleep on the way back :-)

We paid $106 per person to ride in the first class car. I recommend making the trip. Everyone we spoke to said the winter trip is better than the summer trip.

1 Thank PilotFlyer
Centennial, Colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Durango and Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad”
Reviewed January 23, 2014

This was my birthday weekend get-away, so we booked the train ride - 5 hr winter ride. There was snow on the ground and parts of the river were frozen over, but the views were spectacular. And the train personnel were very knowledgeable about the area and things that have gone on, movies, famous visitors, etc. We ordered the sandwich from the website and it was very small for the price we paid. If we do it again, we will take our own lunch. The pavillion at Cascade Canyon was very nice and it was good to walk out along the river for a bit. The pictures we took were awesome. Yes, we would do it again, and maybe even in the fall to see all the fall colors, as we were told they go through a grove a aspens that are just georgous.

Visited January 2014