Durango and Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad and Museum
Book In Advance
More Info
$324.95*
and up
The Upper Animas Silverton Section Full-Day...
Ranked #2 of 78 things to do in Durango
More attraction details
Owner description: Hop aboard a coal-fired, steam-powered locomotive that travels along the same railroad tracks that miners, cowboys and the early settlers of the Old West used over a hundred years ago. The route winds in and out of canyons and past open wilderness affording great views. The price of a ticket also includes admission to the D&SNGRR Museum and the Silverton Freight Yard Museum.
Reviewed September 25, 2012

really enjoyed this museum , would highly recommend visiting ! Incredible amount of items and the exhibits are very well done and really interesting. The train exhibit is wonderful and great place for kids as well!

Write a ReviewReviews (4,726)
All reviews
in 172 reviews
"narrow gauge"
in 98 reviews

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Ok, So I was 17 when I came here and came with my father. We spent the night at the double tree hotel then woke up early and went to pick up our tickets. When picked up our tickets we want to mcdonalds to grab a bite, I suggest this lol. So afterwards we got on the train and it was lovely we rode the prospector.
So the first part of the trip was amazing!! and the lady was amazing try the apple cider! when we went to silverton it was kind of boring. The second part was amazing. I suggest this to anyone that loves secnary!!! just amazing! I will be coming back again and this time doing the glass train.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Our family - 19 of us, 4 generations - rode the Durango-Silverton Train for our 5oth anniversary. It was all planned by our sons. We had anniversary shirts - red for the Oklahoma bunch, blue for Arizona and orange for Maryland. Everyone on the train was very friendly and congratulated us on our wonderful family and occasion. The ride through the Colorado mountains was beautiful, scenic and relaxing. The kids were so excited to ride and gawk and I took WAY too many pictures! There were deer in river, snow on the mountains, waterfalls and of course my family. I even have pictures of them napping on the way home in the afternoon. I could ride this train once a week and never get tired of the ride, the people or the scenery.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

This is a very nice experience of the old west. Beautiful scenery. I would recommend getting on the train up the mountain at one of the later stops, then going on to Silverton one way. Check what is available. A couple of hours is plenty of time if you can arrange it.

See more reviews
Reviewed September 23, 2012

The Durango-Silverton Train is GREAT. You have several options for this 3.5 hr oneway trip...
Open air car, vintage car, or fancy....all have access to a food car, but BEWARE...this IS a steam train, so they recommend wearing protective eye gear due to possible soot. The trip is slow and delightful... I choose to ride oneway, and take the bus back....scenic either way....and the stay in Silverton is short (2 hrs), but long enough for lunch and a stroll about town.

I found even the open air car price steep (2012 $83.00RT), but had a great time. The train does not run year-round, so check their website! I did buy the guidebook so I could read the history and know the sites along the way....

The only reason, I didn't mark this as excellent was due the price.