“Protect your eyes!”

and up
Full-Day Trails and Rails Tour in Durango and Silverton CO
Ranked #1 of 71 things to do in Durango
More attraction details
Owner description: Hop aboard a coal-fired, steam-powered locomotive that travels along the same railroad tracks that miners, cowboys and the early settlers of the Old West used over a hundred years ago. The route winds in and out of canyons and past open wilderness affording great views. The price of a ticket also includes admission to the D&SNGRR Museum and the Silverton Freight Yard Museum.
Rocky Mount, Virginia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Protect your eyes!”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

If riding the train and you book outside car, wear sunglasses! The soot from the train gets all over you. Wear older clothes also, they will also get black from the soot. Prepare for a long day if you are traveling both ways, and take something to do for kids. The "whos and ahhhs" wear off fast. This is my second time on the train and I loved both times, just got super tired. Food and drinks are expensive if you buy on train.

Visited July 2012
2 Thank Ann O

Alpharetta, Georgia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Durango-Silverton train trip”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Riding the train was a great experiene with wonderful views from the open gondola car. Yes, you'll get a light dusting of dirt on your clothes, but we wore dark clothing and it easily brushed off; worth it to be in the open air. We rode the train up, had lunch in Silverton, and rode the bus back. I think that's the best way to go, as riding the train both ways would probably get boring after a while. Plus, our bus driver provided a narration the whole way back to Durango and it was quite enjoyable to hear about the surrounding area.

2 Thank 427BB
san antonio
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Breath Taking Scenery!”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We rode in a van to Silverton(with Mild to Wild) and came back via the train! We had several hours to explore and shop in the town of Silverton. So quaint and beautiful! Also had lunch at the HandleBar which I will also recommend highly! The train ride itself rides along the upper Animas River and it is just breath taking! We must have taken 100 pictures. Every inch offered something new and beautiful. We rode in an open air car and were comfortable temperature wise. Some people got a little cool so a light jacket is recommended even in August. You will also want to be aware of cinders that can fly back but again, it was not an issue for us. I did buy some $5 glasses for my son at the concession stand aboard the train. You can also purchase snacks, beverages, etc! All ages will enjoy this. I personally think riding up via bus, van and then doing the train down. The gals at Mild to Wild booked us a seat with a great view. We were especially pleased with that. Take some time and enjoy the view aboard the Silverton Train!

Richmond, Virginia
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 105 helpful votes
“Train lovers will rejoice in this historic ride”
Reviewed August 19, 2012

I was working on a project in southwestern Colorado - about 40 miles from Durango - and knew that if I had the time, a ride on the Durango and Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad was a must. Not only am I a history buff, I love railroads, so the combination of interests made this too hard to pass up.

When I knew that I had some available weekends to make the trip (a full day is needed), I used their website to research both the details and - especially - the type of class I wanted to ride in during the trip. Knowing that their would likely be a lot of families, that I was riding in the summer on a hot day, and knowing that I wanted to be sure to take a lot of pictures, I opted to spend the extra money for a seat in their Cinco Animas car (the Presidential Class), which is only available to those 21 years and older.

The Presidential Class turned out to be a fantastic choice. It was an enclosed car (the windows could be opened), so blocked out much of the soot and dust that might be cause for allergy or similar issues. There was some level of privacy to the car, as the other classes were not allowed to come back into the car to loiter, and the car had its own bathroom and snack/beverage service. Also, it had a large observation platform - being the last car in the train - so you could stand up, walk out/around comfortably and without inconveniencing others, and get some great panoramic pictures. The car is comfortable, and perhaps a little quieter, given the fare and over-21 restriction means a different type of clientele riding in the car. The railroad takes pictures of each guest in the car, and affordable packages are available for purchase that are ready by the time you return to Durango. Additionally, the fare for the Presidential Class includes a complimentary tote bag and discounts on a couple items found in the gift shop at the depot.

The porter in the car demonstrated outstanding customer service and attention to detail to each and every guest in the Cinco Animas car. Coffee, water, and mimosas were provided before the train even left the depot at Durango. He ensured throughout both legs of the trip that we were all well-hydrated (even though it is an enclosed car, it does get hot later in the day because of the outside temperature), up to and including providing a couple extra bottles of water to take during our stopover in Silverton. Also, throughout the course of the trip, he made sure to point out interesting and/or historical sights along the route, and offered to take pictures so that those of us taking pictures had photos with us in them (if we wanted). This level of service only enhanced the entire experience.

If there was any drawback to the trip, it is that a round-trip ride on the train doesn't allow for a lot of time in Silverton. Fortunately, the town and businesses are ready for the trains to come in, so you can grab a quick lunch everywhere, allowing enough time to also visit a few of the shops (many of which are of the usual "tourist-trap" variety that provide the same type of trinkets you see everywhere else). You can see enough of the town in the stopover provided you are mobile and organized. However, if you want to do any of the mine tours or other attractions outside of Silverton, you won't be able to do it during the stopover. Frankly, though, having driven up to Silverton on a separate trip, I thought it somewhat debatable as to whether or not a great deal of time was needed up there.

The railroad does offer packages where guests can opt to ride a bus for one leg and the train for the other. Some who rode in the Cinco Animas car with me only rode up to Silverton, then took the bus back. A couple of others didn't ride with us on the way up, but rode with us on the return to Durango. I suppose it is really personal preference as to whether or not you choose to ride the bus on either leg. Yes, you beat the train into Silverton, and you may beat the train by a little bit getting back to Durango. But in my mind, if you've come for the railroad, it's likely your only time doing it, so why not do the round trip on a historic train?

If you arrive early in the morning before your train departs, you will also get a chance to check out their museum. It doesn't take long to stroll through, and it's a fun diversion before you hop on board. A highlight for me in the museum was seeing one of the rail cars used in "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" (in which the Durango & Silverton line was used extensively).

All in all, this was a terrific experience, particularly if you are a fan of the railroad. If you are a rail fan, it should be on your "bucket list", but even if you're not and happen to be in or near Durango, it's well worth the time. Due to its popularity, you should plan ahead to make sure there is availability for the days you will be in Durango; do not expect to simply walk up on the morning of departure and buy a ticket. From an admission standpoint, it is a little expensive, particularly if you are traveling with kids or a larger group, but it is worth the investment. Also, if you are over 21 years old and can afford it, it is well worth the extra money to splurge on the Presidential Class. I know that from my description, it sounds like a terribly elitist way to ride. But I do think that it enhances the overall experience, the level of customer service is outstanding, and the amenities are most welcome on a busy, hot summer day.

Visited September 2011
7 Thank Generic90
ofallon mo
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Durango-Silverton train trip. Fantastic”
Reviewed August 18, 2012

The Durango-Siverton train trip is your choice if deciding between the Royal Gorge trip. We chose the Silver Vista train car which has a viewing dome, large souvenir bags for each passenger, and personal service/ guide stories. We were fortunate to have Mr. Bob as our star guide and was First Class. The railroad company employees educated people like retired teachers to represent them
At three crossings, we were blessed with good fortune by Linda, a Ute Indian,who 's life mission to bless people with good fortune and safe journey on the train. On our trip return, Linda greated us at the end blessing our safe continued travels. The vistas were breathtaking and unavailable to any other mode of travel to Silverton. You will need a jacket at times and a safety goggles or some form of eye protection is required. The coal fired engine emits soot and an occasional cinder. Another reason to book the silver vista or the presidential car(however this car is completely enclosed). Water, coffee, hot chocolate is complimentary. Adult beverages are available for a reasonable cost. The restrooms between each car are the size of an airplane and flush the same
Recommend to wear slacks/jeans and closed toe shoes
Silverton retains its architecture of years past but definitely a tourist town. We ate at Grumpy's,a restaurant in a hotel. The food was adequate but service and ambiance great
The 3.5 return trip (same as the trip up) afforded different vistas although the same route. Remember the silver vista with Mr Bob

1 Thank binlady