“Great family ride with fun, kid-friendly guides” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hole in the Wall Stables

Hole in the Wall Stables
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Great family ride with fun, kid-friendly guides”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2014 via mobile

Called on Sunday and booked a ride for that afternoon with kids ages 10,6, and 4. Tom and D were wonderful with the kids and us adults! Horses were gentle and loving, and looked happy to work! Ride was beautiful and guides were knowledgeable about the area, animals, plants, etc. They were extremely safe while giving kids confidence riding their own horses (our 4 year old rode with me which was perfect). Awesome experience!!

1 Thank 3weekids

Hong Kong, China
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 96 helpful votes
“Perfect for kids, very relaxing ride”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2014

This was the ideal, slow ride for my 10 year old daughters who had limited horse riding experience. Tom and Ben were very attentive to the entire group (9 in total) and Ben took extra care to make sure my girls were comfortable and safe. The scenery is gorgeous with plenty of photo opps to make it a memorable occasion. Ben was full of interesting factoids about the area and each horses' personality. I was very satisfied with the experience and my girls delighted. The actual ride was a full two hours.

Experienced riders looking for a faster ride might not find it here, although I'm sure if asked Tom would make arrangements. The location is slightly tricky to find but if you have Tom's cell he will always answer and provide a few extra directions to help you find your way. It's less than 30 minutes from the main Durango district so all-in-all very convenient. Make sure you call in advance. Tom accommodated us with less than 24 hours notice. Highly recommended!

1 Thank dim-sum-mum
Dixon, California
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“Beautiful trail, good guide, but low budget operation.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

This ride offers families with little to no horseback riding experience a slow walking ride through very pretty scenery. Our guide, Ben, was very attentive to the young riders and did a great job organizing photo ops. This is not a ride for intermediate or experienced riders, just way too slow -- slowest walk ever experienced on a horse. It's a pretty low budget operation and horses could have much better care of their feet. Good luck finding the place too, it's just a horse trailer and bare corral area unmarked on the road.

2 Thank Blacktieranch
Hingham, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Extremely accommodating, family friendly business with gentle horses- don't book a trail ride anywhere else!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

My husband, daughter (10), two sons (7 and 4), and I went on a two hour trail ride today with Tom and his ranch hand, Ben. I searched high and low to find a stable that would allow a four-year-old to ride a horse on a trail, and Hole in the Wall Stables was the only place in Durango (and many other nearby towns) that would do so. Tom was super friendly and extremely accommodating. He and Ben helped everyone in our party (9 total) saddle up, and then they led us on a wonderful 2 hour excursion through a beautiful 30 acre ranch- gorgeous wooded areas, small ponds, mountain views--- it was an amazing experience!! Tom and Ben were excellent in regards to making sure everyone was safe, and they were super friendly and patient with the kids! My youngest (4) rode right behind Ben, who held onto his horse the entire time. The horses walked nice and slowly, and my children were extremely comfortable within minutes even though they had NEVER ridden a horse before!! I was so impressed, and I HIGHLY recommend this establishment if you are looking to take your family on a horseback riding excursion. Tom and Ben also offered us the chance to take family picture in several areas - so this trip will never be forgotten!! Thank you very much Hole in the Wall Stables- you were definitely one of the best highlights in our 2 week vacation to Colorado:)

3 Thank Nasreen D
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A great experience for kids and adults alike”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2014

Tom led our party of 5 on a one-hour ride through absolutely beautiful countryside. Tom was great with the kids, a 6 year old and a 9 year old who had never ridden before, and we all emerged with smiles on our faces. We would have loved to have gone for the extra hour.

1 Thank Zolbrod