“Unsanitary RV Park”
Review of United Campground

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Durango
United Campground
Ranked #11 of 21 Specialty Lodging in Durango
Reviewed May 20, 2009

We just spent two nights at the United Campground in Durango, CO. This was not a good experience.

The sewer hookup in my site was about a foot below ground level in a small concrete "meter box" type of thing.

It was absolutely impossible to have an airtight fitting, which is required by law. I went to the office and talked to the owner's wife about this situation. She informed me I could go to Walmart in town and buy whatever I thought I needed. I told her I just paid $42.00 per night for full hookups and did not feel I should have to purchase any hardware to make her park useable. Then she told me I was welcome to go to the dump station. Again I told her I paid good money for full hookups and that includes a sewer at my site.

With an attitude like that from the owner, I would NEVER go to that park again.

Also, I called the county health department and informed them that this park was not in compliance with the requirements for airtight sewer fittings.

Also, the swimming pool looked like a frog pond and did not appear to be useable.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
5  Thank bigjimbonevada
There are newer reviews for United Campground

Reviewed July 23, 2008

I agree with previous positive reviewers. We took a 2 week motor home trip from So Cal to Wyoming and saw quite a few RV parks along the way. I have to say this place was among the best we stayed. Clean restrooms and the water pressure in the showers was amazing! The laundry rooms were clean. Didn't have a chance to really look in the store but I'm sure it was fine. Our
RV spot was not huge but certainly not as small as we have been in. The neighbors from Texas were very friendly and we has a great experience. We had a front row view of the train several times a day. The surrounding mountains were beautiful. Durango is a must in the '1000 places to go before you die'
(AKA bucket list)

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank Gigi_CA
Reviewed September 10, 2005

I'm not entirely sure what the previous reviewer was thinking/expecting of a campsite that takes reservations and has an online presence. But rest assured, that if you're looking for something akin to a KOA (CLEAN showers/bathrooms, well groomed tent sites, and full RV hookups), then United Campground should suit you well.

While some of the tent sites looked like they could be somewhat crowded (5' to the next site), we had at LEAST 50' between our tent and the next closest person. There are large trees spaced about every 5 sites or so, and the ground covered in lush grass with few irregularities to ruin a good nights sleep. If you're going over a holiday weekend (the only times they're booked out according to the folks I spoke with), then you need to make a reservation early and expect some close company.

If you want primative camping (no showers, most likely no running water, pit toliets and the ability to have a campfire), then there are Lots of National Forest Land sites in the area. Our tent/gear is Plenty muddy from spending 4 nights at 4 different NF Land sites prior to arriving at United.

We were mostly happy with what was provided, the only complaint being the rather Expensive cost for a site. I know Durango is a Tourist mecca, but I've rented hotel rooms within 50 miles for just a few dollars more... that's the sole reason for the 4/5 rating. If we weren't at the end of a week of camping (and in Desperate desire for showers), I doubt the money would have been spent for the campground.

• Stayed: September 2005
3  Thank Brian M
A TripAdvisor Member
Indian Head Park, Il.
Reviewed June 29, 2004

If your idea of camping is sleeping a foot away from your neighbors tent, then this is the place for you! And did I mention no campfires allowed?!
Planning a 2 week camping trip to this area with a stop in Durango for our kids to see Thomas the Train I thouroughly researched the campgrounds online and made the appropriate reservations. Well, I guess websites can be deceiving. The place was basically a football field with hardly any trees. Absolutely no privacy from your neighbor. I should have looked before handing over my credit card for our 4 night stay. After being handed a brochure with their rules I went to our site. After about a 1/2 hour of staring in disbelief at what would be our home for the next four nights, and finding in our little book of rules no campfires(what's camping without a campfire? Also, nowhere in their website is it stated that no campfires are allowed) I marched back up to the office and tried to be as diplomatic as possible and told them we were not staying and may I please have my money back. Not only were they rude but they kept my full $40.00 deposit I had mailed to them and kept 10% of the balance I had put on my credit card not even a half hour earlier!!! They said they needed 48 hours notice of cancellation to get my deposit back (we arrived early and I was giving them 24 hours notice) They said they had to keep 10% of my credit charge for handling. I'm sure they could have just voided it out! So I would not recommend this so called campground to anyone. Bad atmosphere with even worse customer relations.

14  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 31, 2002

This is a really great place to camp in Durango, especially if you are a fan of the narrow gauge Durango & Silverton Railroad.

The campsites are clean and well maintained, and there are excellent facilities with clean bathrooms, showers and laundry facilities.

They offer a small convenience store with the basics and even have a swimming pool on the grounds!

The RV section of the campground is in the front (West), and the tent area is is in the rear, with several well-established trees for shade.

The railroad right-of-way goes right through the campground, separating the RV section from the tent area. If you're a fan of the steam trains, this makes for great photo opportunities!

Lastly, the rates are reasonable and the campground is only a 5-minute drive from the downtown area.

21  Thank A TripAdvisor Member