All reviews train runs level sites clean restrooms rv spaces the durango silverton train full hookups close to town trolley stop travel trailer great wifi nice rv park bath house trolley service laundry facility enjoyed our stay worked fine animas river
Reviewed October 8, 2014

Although there was considerable open grass space, tent campers were crammed together - each site within a few feet of another. Bathrooms a long way off - longest distance a football field away and then doors had push buttons locks on them.

Also very windy as the wind at times roars down the valley, blowing over tents.

Owner not very friendly.

Date of stay: July 2014
Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank nebraskan70005
Reviewed October 3, 2014

We first stayed at this campground in 1976. It is very well maintained with quite a few large, level sites that will accommodate larger rigs. The last time we stayed here (that would have been the 3rd time we stayed), probably in the late 80s, we were in a pickup with a camper on it. This time we were in a 32' travel trailer which was nicely accommodated in a large pull through site with full hookups and free cable TV. We had big, beautiful shade trees and a grassy area with a table at our site, and a great view of the Durango & Silverton train tracks. The trains (two of them) come through in the morning during the 8 o'clock hour, and they return in the afternoon during the 5 o'clock hour. I have never gotten over the thrill of watching those trains come through the campground and of getting to wave to the passengers.

The views of the valley from the campground and of the rocky, red cliffs beyond are stunning. Our welcome and check-in was fine and we even got a personal greeting from the resident cat, Jack. We were there late in September so the pool was closed and I didn't need to use the restrooms or the showers. I did look in the laundry and it was very clean with several machines. This has become a point with me due to having stayed at a campground in Gunnison where the maintenance in general, and the laundry facilities in particular, left way too much to be desired.

I didn't think the prices here were higher than most private campgrounds. They all seem to be expensive. But this campground is special - not only because of the train but because of the overall cleanliness and beauty, the amenity of the swimming pool, and the free trolley into town. I hope we can return to the Durango area very soon and when we do there is no question that we will stay here.

Date of stay: September 2014
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank Gr8Accountant
Reviewed August 14, 2014

We stayed here for 4 nights. We had a wonderful spot just up the hill from the train tracks. Our boys loved watching the trains to by everyday. The showers/bathrooms were clean. The laundry room was huge and the machines worked great. We used the trolley our last night there with no issues. Can't wait to go back!

Date of stay: August 2014
Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank dmcinaz
Reviewed August 12, 2014

We are new to RV'ing and this was our first RV park visit. The place itself is nice, clean, off the road and pretty quiet. It isn't very big which is also nice, but the spots are pretty tight and very close to each other. We had to maneuver our travel trailer so that it would fit between the trailer next to us and a tree which resulted in us not being able to extend our awning as the tree was too close. The trolley into town was very convenient and we used it once.

Date of stay: May 2014
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 4, 2014

I did a review for Lightner, comparing it with United. Both have showers, pool and store. I loved Lightner, but my family prefers United for camping in Durango. I do love that you pitch your tent on a soft lawn. We went again beginning of August. More crowded than the weekends we usually go in June but I don't think you will ever have a problem finding a spot, even late in the day. Many are using this for one night on their way, while even locals come here for a nice weekend. Another advantage is that there's a trolley stop three times an hour for free ride to downtown and back with long hours. The trains run right through it. In the tent area, there's a road loop and I prefer to get the sites off the loop closest to and towards the river. They are larger, actually double sites, so you can spread out more. Cottonwoods supply shade in spots. The pool was very refreshing. My only complaint is that both days they were cleaning the upper showers just when I wanted to take the kids. The upper showers are a bit larger and I think a bit cleaner. Even with "crowd", it was quiet at night, shortly after dark. Rickety picnic tables are showing age and the water spigot below was turned off. But water available at sink near laundry room. This may have been our 7th time. We love Durango.

Date of stay: August 2014