“enjoyed the veterans day parade”

Historic Downtown Durango
Ranked #3 of 67 things to do in Durango
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Historic Downtown Durango is the heart of the community. Filled with over 200 unique shops, stores and restaurants, Downtown Durango has something for everyone. The Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad is located in Downtown, and has daily excursions plus a FREE museum. The Strater Hotel is also in Downtown and has been in operation since the 1800's. We have wonderful restaurants, from fast food to fine dining and everything in between. Plus there are amazing shops with unique items, including nearly a dozen world class art galleries. To learn more about Historic Downtown Durango, visit our website, and use the FREE wifi Downtown at Durango WiFi. Thanks for visiting!
Vacaville, California
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“enjoyed the veterans day parade”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Durango is a great city. Just beware of some of the shops downtown selling Native American jewelry. This area does not have the three days to make a return law. I purchased an expensive piece of native American jewelry at a shop near the train station called Cowboys and Cowgirls. It was a small squash blossom necklace I had been wanting for a long time. After I left the shop, the next day, I found someone had purchased a very similar one as a gift for me. So, I tried to return the necklace, and it was a very expensive piece. They would not accept the piece. They would only allow me to trade for another piece. The only other thing I was interested in the store would have required me to spend several hundred dollars more to do the trade. So, I walked out, very angry. I had been planning on participating in the stores wholesale program for turquoise beads, etc. But hat is not going to happen now. Rude staff, and pretty much ruined my time in downtown, since shopping is what its all about. On future visits to Durango, will not venture downtown. I buy a lot of native American jewelry. I advise you to look for a native owned shop and purchase from them. They love what they do and for the most part stand behind what they make. My mistake for purchasing in a place like that.

Visited November 2013

• Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Cottage Grove, Minnesota
129 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 185 helpful votes
“Changing face of Durango”
Reviewed November 9, 2013

We hadn't been to Durango in about 15 years and were anxious to see what had changed. Some of the same restaurants were there and many new ones had sprung up. The last time we were in town, there were more shops catering to people interested in finer examples of Native American art. Now there are more shops catering to the cheaper end of this type of art and many of the shops seemed to be selling the same items. Toh-Atin gallery, I am happy to report is still in business and still, in my opinion, offers the finest examples of Native American art by the most famous artists. They are not only the best in Durango, they are the best in the southwest area. We were also disappointed in how many young, high people were walking and standing around on Friday and Saturday nights. We were going to try a restaurant a half block off of Main but there were so many guys standing around that were obviously high, my wife felt uncomfortable and we headed in the opposite direction. A better police presence would be nice for the tourists.
We did appreciate the new restaurants and felt they made Durango much more of a destination than it used to be.

Aurora, CO
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Many interesting shops and eateries”
Reviewed November 7, 2013

Every night we would walk downtown or the path next to the river. Great exercise and fun to window shop.

Gwynn, Virginia
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“A little disappointed”
Reviewed November 7, 2013

Coming from the east coast, Durango always seemed to be the ultimate old west town. It's much bigger than I expected, and it doesn't seem to have that old west feel. Probably my expectations. I understand the mountain biking in the area is fantastic. I would recommend Silverton, though, for those of us who are looking for the old west.

Visited August 2013
Riverside, California
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Historic downtown Durango”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

We enjoyed the walking around and the ambiance. I prefer a western style and appreciated Durango. It was quiet yet interesting. Riding my Harley downtown in October at 10:00 P.M. at 49 degrees in a T-shirt was interesting. But not the same as a horse!

Visited October 2013

Been to Historic Downtown Durango? Share your experiences!