“Fun for whole family”

Historic Downtown Durango
Ranked #3 of 71 things to do in Durango
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Historic Downtown Durango is the heart of the community. Filled with over 200 unique shops, stores and restaurants, Downtown Durango has something for everyone. The Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad is located in Downtown, and has daily excursions plus a FREE museum. The Strater Hotel is also in Downtown and has been in operation since the 1800's. We have wonderful restaurants, from fast food to fine dining and everything in between. Plus there are amazing shops with unique items, including nearly a dozen world class art galleries. To learn more about Historic Downtown Durango, visit our website, and use the FREE wifi Downtown at Durango WiFi. Thanks for visiting!
Cortez, Colorado
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Fun for whole family”
Reviewed February 23, 2012

An old area that has been restored but kept quaint. LOTS of shops that sell quality merchandise. Great restaurants, we have been to many. Train service is within walking distance. Take a picnic to the park by the river. You will love Duango.

1 Thank Ann69982

• Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, California, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Gorgeous!”
Reviewed February 21, 2012

Came to Durango for 5 weeks to do a show at the Arts Center. I have absolutely fallen in love with Durango as well as its people. Everyone was so nice! The food seriously rocks! I was very happy to see such support for all areas of the arts! I can't wait to go back!

Visited January 2012
1 Thank Lee M
Utah
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Beautiful place”
Reviewed February 19, 2012

Beautiful place. I love just walking down the street and watching the trains. Great restaurants as well.

Visited December 2011
1 Thank someone1185
Aztec, New Mexico
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Fun to look around and dog friendly”
Reviewed February 19, 2012

lots of shops, resturants and very dog friendly. Parking is a pain, lots of photo ops.

1 Thank kian22
Encinitas, CA
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“Don't expect hustle and bustle and you won't be disappointed”
Reviewed February 7, 2012

Don't get me wrong, it's a LOVELY town and a really authentic, old-fashioned downtown. I was here back in November 2006 and remembered it to be a bit more lively at that time (week of Thanksgiving). On my second visit (Dec 2011), it was after Christmas and cold, so there weren't a whole lot of people walking around. We were walking up and down Main street, and although it was after 10am, it felt like we were there before any of the shops were opened yet. They were open, but there just wasn't a lot of foot traffic.

My friends who live 10 minutes from there and own a business located downtown told me that that's pretty typical. So my advice is to not expect a "busy" downtown and just go there to appreciate learning the history of this authentic western town. You'll enjoy it much more I think! :o)

Visited December 2011

Been to Historic Downtown Durango? Share your experiences!