“Doesn't get any better”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Durango
Country Sunshine Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 12 Durango B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 8, 2009

If you're in the Durango area, you simply must try the Country Sunshine B&B. Fabulous hosts, great rooms, gorgeous grounds. This B&B is designed to bring guests together whether it is in the great room for evening dessert and conversation or around the firepit on the grounds. Breakfast is served on a spacious deck overlooking the back yard. Warm, freshly baked cookies are scrumptious. Our hosts were very helpful with information about the area and went out of their way to help you make your stay a pleasant one. The entire house exceptionally clean. We look forward to visiting again soon.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Elphaba

Reviewed January 5, 2009

If you are thinking about staying at the Country Sunshine B & B you need to read our story. There are a group of us that ski some place new each year and we booked our stay with Jodi & Walter for two nights, December 29 and 30, to begin this year’s four-day ski vacation. (We were staying in Pagosa Springs the last two nights.) We weren’t able to check in at the normal times, from 4:00 to 6:00, because we were driving from California. Yet Walter saved desert for us (chocolate mousse…oh my, I hope you are able to taste this!) at our late 9:00pm arrival, and they treated us like family the moment we entered their home. The next morning Jennifer, my wife, broke her ankle on the mountain. After treatment in urgent care we brought her back to Country Sunshine. We were set to check out the next morning and Jennifer did not want the rest of us to miss skiing for the remainder of the time and insisted that we go without her. Jodi and Walter did an amazing thing by allowing Jennifer to stay there at their home the entire day. In addition, Walter served her breakfast in bed and handed her a walkie-talkie insisting that if she needed anything at all to call him. Jennifer didn’t need this because Walker and Jodi checked in on her about every hour to make sure she was OK. When it came time to leave I tried to pay Jodi for the additional time that Jennifer spent at their B & B, but she adamantly refused to accept anything extra.

In addition to this amazing hospitality, let me tell you about the accommodations. Their home is a delight. You feel as if you belong there the moment you walk in. The living room/dining room (some would call it the “great room”) is spacious and has a grand piano, some guitars, a table with maps and books, a rocking chair, another table with deserts, a self-serving area that includes coffee, tea, hot chocolate just to name a few, their dining room table, and a view facing the sunrise that is spectacular. (There is more there, but I’ve already given too much detail.) I watched one guest look out in the morning and I thought she was going to hyperventilate from the beauty that she saw. The guest bedrooms are down stairs and there is a common area divided into two sections: one with a table, a refrigerator, small self-serving area, and a sofa, love seat, and chairs around a wood-burning fireplace. The refrigerator is stocked with beer and soda and, when we returned from skiing, Walter opened it and insisted that we help ourselves. There is also wine available there. The other common area has a television and a huge supply of movies. The bedrooms are spacious and comfortable.

Walter does the cooking and all of us couldn’t believe how good this was. The two breakfasts that we were to enjoy left us staring at each other wondering how in the world this could be so good. Walter also makes desert for the guests in the evening. I already mentioned the chocolate mousse, and our desert for the second night was some sort of cheese cake. I don’t like cheese cake, but I didn’t want to offend Walter so I had some. I must say that if I knew that we were the only ones eating the cheese cake that evening I would have had four or five pieces. I don’t know what ingredients he used, but that cheese cake was the closest thing to ecstasy without being illegal that one can get.

The group of us that ski together try to go somewhere new every year. But we are seriously considering repeating this year’s trip mainly because of the great experience we had at Country Sunshine.

• Stayed: December 2008
1  Thank cperrymoore
Reviewed November 21, 2008

WOW WOW WOW. this place is a little heaven on earth stayed for two nights in July. It made our brilliant holiday even better. from the moment we arrived it felt like we were with family. lovely rooms, lovely location, fantastic host. very very clean we can not fault a thing. Each night Walter our host told us to save a little room for dessert and what a lovely surprise he made us a special dessert each night wonderful touch. breakfast was special too. we sat around firepit and watched the sunset, it was like living a dream. My father-in-law was very interested in the bird life there and walter even gave him a CD with the pictures he had of the wildlife.
They have a wonderful place and we were very jealous we would love to live there. can not praise it enough make a detour if you have to, but if your in the area stay here, its the best place we have ever been too.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank sandalan
Reviewed November 17, 2008

My boyfriend has not stopped talking about "Walter's Place" since we left there over two months ago! Walter and Jodie are wonderful hosts. Our room was great, and we loved the hot tub (Walter even turned the patio lights off for us one night so we could see the stars better).

You are not right in town here -- that's a good thing! And I've saved the best for last, the breakfasts are INCREDIBLE! My boyfriend has insisted on making fresh fruit parfaits ever since our stay. :)

The only bad thing we encountered is that Country Sunshine was too full for us to add an extra night on the fly, so don't wait until the last minute to reserve your stay or you might miss out!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Heather E
Reviewed November 8, 2008

I stayed at the Country Sunshine B&B for 4 nights in september 2008. I enjoyed my stay here, it was the best B&B I stayed in during my 4 week trip to the States.
The breakfasts are very good & the owners are very hospitable. The rooms are very clean.They allowed me to do my laundry for free, which was very welcomed.There is a communal fridge that is always full of goodies for guests like drinks.Every evening around 9 the owners offer free deserts to all the guests.
The only gripe I had about this place was I stayed in the room called The Writer's Den & because it was directly below the kitchen, it was very noisy from 6 AM onwards, so I was woken early every morning. If you are an early riser I guess this wont be a problem. Regardless of this, if i was staying in Durango I would stay at this B&B again.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank flixflyer
Reviewed October 24, 2008

Walter and Jodie at Country Sunshine are the perfect hosts.
We spent 3 very comfortable nights here during a 3 week tour in the States.

The 'extras' offered by Country made this part of our tour the best possible. Not only was there tea, coffee and chocolate available all day long, there was a large fridge stocked full of local beer, soda and water.
This was also available to us and you were made to feel very welcome and you never felt like an outsider sneaking into the fridge!!!
Walter also made us all wonderful desserts in the evening. So after eating dinner out in town it was lovely to come back to one of his special desserts and an evening around the fire with the other guests.

The rooms were very clean, spacious and comfy and the breakfasts superb.

We always read trip advisor reports before heading off to a hotel and I can assure you this is very genuine and if we return to the area we will definately be returning.
A wonderful stay.

Stayed: October 2008
1  Thank Sandiefairy
Reviewed October 20, 2008

I have read other comments about how Country Sunshine made guests feel so much at home, I have to disagree. We felt nothing like we were at home where we are busy with chores, cooking, cleaning… at Country Sunshine we were COMPLETELY PAMPERED !! A pure haven tucked away among the billowing trees on the outskirts of beautiful Durango.

We have stayed at many B&B’s, and Country Sunshine tops them all. TEN STARS plus. We can’t say enough positive things about our stay – thank you, thank you, thank you for helping us make special memories for our anniversary weekend!

My husband and I arrived for our weekend getaway in the early afternoon. Walter graciously showed us around the grounds and home, making sure we knew where everything was located (our room, refrigerator with complimentary drinks, movies, teas, Jacuzzi, towels, even bathing suits if you happen to forget yours – as I did) and how things worked. He was quick to answer all of our many questions on where to eat, what to see, which trails for hiking, provided us maps and directions and a large selection of menus for local restaurants.

After dinner, we returned to be greeted by the other friendly guests preparing for one of Walter’s heavenly gourmet desserts. He made the very best Cream Brule I have ever had – just magnificent! One evening Walter and Jodi had all of their guests gather comfortably around the roaring fire downstairs and prepared the most impressive Banana’s Fosters! What a show!

The breakfasts were delicious (pancakes/French toast, bacon, yogurt topped fruit with walnuts), definitely nothing diet about them! All the coffee or tea you’d like, with fresh orange juice and the most pleasant visiting time with the other guests. Breakfast is served anytime between 8 and 10, but it seemed like most guests enjoyed gathering together and would meet at the table around 9 each morning.

We enjoyed the Jacuzzi many times, sitting outside under the beautiful trees. We even had a romantic picnic dinner on the back, far deck that lines the yard, overlooking the valley and watched the sunset. The grounds are well kept and the scenery is gorgeous.

As the many other reviewers mentioned, the rooms are quite clean (I am picky) and comfortable with every amenity needed; large bed and soft sheets, along with the luxurious soft, fresh smelling towels, all needed toiletries, well diversified lighting and even an overhead fan if needed. More than adequate space for luggage and closet room with hangers.

Walter and Jodi have created a warm, comfortable atmosphere in their home which is conducive to meeting and enjoying other guests (however, if you would like more privacy, you are more than able to enjoy your stay). We connected so well with the other guests (one couple was from England), we feel like we have made new friends.

Country Sunshine is just lovely! Perfectly welcoming and pleasant heaven. We too have stayed at the Apple Orchard B&B, which was very nice, but our stay with Jodi and Walter can’t be topped, we will be visiting AGAIN for next year’s anniversary!

As our children use to say when they were little and wanted more, “Again, Again, Again” !!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple