New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Silverpick Lodge

Silverpick Lodge
Ranked #12 of 22 Specialty Lodging in Durango
Oro Valley, Arizona
“great townhouse stay there”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

all pine or aspen log furniture. Really comfortable beds, all pillow top. Huge flat screens in everyroom. We stayed in Townhouse #103 "woodmans rest". Best stocked kitchen with black granite for any condo type lodging we have ever stayied. The deck has aBBQ and is great to sit and look at the mountains. We ate outside when it was not raining. 3 bathrooms so everyone had their own. Wonderfully comfortable to just hang out and relax. Trails right from our door. Bar/resteraunt within walking distance if you did not want to cook. We ARE going to stay there again. Had a real mountain feel. No pool buta nice hot tub

Room Tip: get townhouse #103. Owner really keeps the place perfect, use fan at night keeps room nice in the s...
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Falmouth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

The place is very laid back and oh so well located. The restaurant, the Sow's Ear was delicious and perfect for the wedding reception. George, the head chef and owner of the restaurant is awesome to work with. The Lodge was roomy and the condos were perfect! We loved our week long visit and would highly recommend it to any couple and their families and friends. The wedding in the meadow on the grounds was the perfect spot to get married. The maintenance people were so helpful. It was a quiet, beautiful place to have a wedding right in the middle of the mountains. There is a great room available to have the rehearsal dinner and the lodge provides bagels and coffee each morning to all of the lodge guests. This is a homey place to have destination wedding!

Room Tip: We loved the condos on Enterprise Lane.
Flower Mound TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

I am writing this while sitting in the Grand Turk room in the lodge on our last night here. Chose this on a whim based on some other reviews. We could not have been happier with the Silverpick. Great location away from the downtown Durango tourist traps and nonsense...but not too far. Awesome views, and Chris the owner.............well he was awesome as well! We stayed in the Grand Turk room in the lodge and it was very nice. 3 queen size beds, adequate furniture for gathering, and a very generously sized bathroom. Coin laundry, game room, 2 hot tubs, sauna & steam room were available to us while staying in the lodge. Cannot speak for the condos. The lodge was great, Chris was just wonderful and we will be back without question. I am a single dad and was traveling with my 17 year old son, 7 year old daughter and my son's 17 year old friend from school. We all loved it. Cannot wait to come back and stay again. Tip: there is an awesome summer freebie down the road; go to the Durango Mountain Ski Resort and take the road to Hermosa Park. Breathtaking drive through the mountains on a single track forestry road. Not to be missed.

Room Tip: The Grand Turk lacks a patio or balcony, but it is VERY spacious. Better than a lot of loft or studi...
1 Thank jph4564
Tyler, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

We loved the Silverpick Lodge. They were very accommodating and made a change which we requested without a problem. The condos were very clean and very comfortable. We did not try the restaurant because they were closed during our stay. The staff at the lodge and the maintenance people who we encountered were very friendly and helpful. There was wood provided for the fireplace which was very handy and enjoyable. The location is perfect. It is halfway between Durango / Silverton. The mountains behind the condos are spectacular. I will definitely stay at Silverpick Lodge again!!
Elaine M.
Tyler, Texas

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Elaine M
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

The perfect place if you want to be near Durango but actually stay right in the mountains. Great views, good place to see rainbows after summer evening rains. Clean, well kept, up-to-date, friendly. Excellent restaurant (separately owned) on site, several others close by. I had the misfortune of falling ill about the time I arrived, and Chris and his staff did everything possible to see to my well-being. I can't imagine getting that kind of help and concern from a chain hotel. I will be back!

Room Tip: Condos are a much better value than the lodge rooms even at the higher price. Further from the road...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank h3305
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

As an avid outdoorsman and mountain biker, the Silverpick is an outstanding place to stay. It's centrally located in for quick access to hiking and biking trails yet close enough to the city for convenience. The townhome accomodations are excellent for large groups and the Silverpick staff is great to work with. We love the quiet peacefullness of the area and being surrounded by mountains and quaking aspens.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Amarillo, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2011

I booked a condo for 10 guests. After driving about 11 hrs, we arrived about 6 PM only to find that no one was available to give us a key to condo. There was a phone outside in the weather with a number to call. I made several calls and got the same recording each time. I left messages but never got a response. I talked to the manager in the Sow's Ear. He explained he was not affiliated with the Lodge. However they did attempt to contact the person on duty but to no avail. About 11 PM, the brides mother offered us a room with 3 beds that had reserved for family who would not arrive until the next day. The rest of my party went to bed. I stayed up to greet my nephew from NY about 1AM. Shortly after the person who should have answered my calls arrived to turn out unnecessary lights. He denied receiving the calls but then looked at his phone and said, "Oh, there they are!" He asked if I wanted condo then. This is 7 hrs after we arrived. The next day he was extremely rude. He said we wouldn't be charged for the room we slept in. He refused to attempt to make amends. He made rude sexists and age related remarks. I asked for a refund which he gave and we went into town and rented at the Comfort Inn, lower price, excellent accommodations. We were removed from the rest of the wedding party but we stayed with polite, helpful staff. I would not consider a return to a place that tolerates such inadequate customer service.
The Sow's Ear served an excellent dinner for the reception. Their service was also excellent. I understand why they said several times that they were not affiliated with the lodge just renting space.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank fablwb
DurangoDude, Owner at Silverpick Lodge, responded to this review, February 9, 2011
I remember fablwb well. Although she arrived after check in time and the front desk was closed, she is entirely correct when she asserts that I did not get or respond to her messages. I have since switched cell carriers and remedied that situation. After this point our recollection of events diverge, but only in the details. Upon learning her situation, I apologized and immediately offered to check her into her condo. She declined the offer (!) but was in a feisty mood and wanted to know what I was going to do for her. As it was very late and she had a bed for the night I suggested that we put of further discussion until the morning. At that time it turned out that 3 parties were planning to share the condo and one of them had backed out leaving the expense to those left. Fablwb no longer needed the larger space she'd booked nor wanted to pay for it. Since I'd already discounted the condo I could not lower the price further. So I offered her a full refund which she took. Although fablwb left unsatisfied, the bride and groom and both sets of parents as well as several of the remaining guests thanked me for a wonderful time at Silverpick and all I'd done to help to make it that way.