“Tamarron -- Best views in Durango area” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Lodge at Tamarron

The Lodge at Tamarron
Ranked #17 of 21 Specialty Lodging in Durango
Lincoln, Illinois
“Tamarron -- Best views in Durango area”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2007

If you are visiting the Durango area and are willing to drive a bit to get into town for shopping, eating and the railroad trip, check into the Durango Mountain Resort's Inn at Tamarron.

It is located approximately 16 miles north of Durango on US 550 in the most spectacular San Jaun foothill setting. Our oversized room overlooked the golf course. Westward facing rooms could gaze at the majestic Hermosa cliffs.

Tamarron was undergoing renovation during our stay. I'm sure all the decor will be spectacular when complete.

The indoor/outdoor pool, hot tubs and spa area were phenomenal. Kids will enjoy their time in this area.

Onsite food choices are pricey. Gourmet dinners are the norm at the adjacent Chop House. Service at the cafe is slow and food is overpriced. We prepared breakfast in our room (equipped with fridge, stove, microwave and dishes) and then drove into Durango for dinner 3 of our 4 nights.

We booked our lodging and rail trip through Durango Central Reservations and saved quite a bit on the room.

• Liked — the Views
  • Disliked — Distance away from Durango
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank Mizzougrad

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2007

I went with a group of about 80 people from Feb 28 to March 3th and we all stayed at Tamarron Resort. First I will say that the rooms are big and have a nice view. The rooms come with a kitchenet, microwave and frige. The water is very hard and makes it difficult to wash when taking a shower. I had the room next to the hot water heater and did not have a problem with hot water, but I did hear of others having no hot water durning there shower.

As for the resort itself, major renovation going on. Extention cords running down the wallways powering tools and lights. People were staining the wood in the halls. It was not a major problem just annoing.

The staff was friendly and nice. My wife and I took a trip into Durango from Tamarron using the hotel transportation and It cost us $40 for two people roundtrip. It would be very wise to rent a car if you plan on going anywhere. The free shuttle runs every hour starting at 8:00am and stop at 4:00pm, but it only runs to the ski village and back.

As I mentioned in the header you should stop in town and bring your own food to the resort. The only place to eat around the resort is the Chop House Resturant. Very expensive menu and the food was not that great. They open around 5p and close about 10p. If you do go I would suggest that you call and make reservations. There is also a cafe next to the lobby that opens at 7:30a and closes at 2:30p. It also was OK.

This was our first time to Durango and it was OK, I would go back if the price was right. I now know what to expect for the next time.

• Liked — Room size and view.
  • Disliked — No internet connection, and lack of food options
  • Stayed March 2007
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank djksuavee

Travelers are raving about these Durango hotels

Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2007

We stayed at Tamarron with a group of 6 in a logge room from Jan. 1 -Jan. 6, 2007. The room was great, the view was awesome, and the staff was was very accomodating. Everything we needed was attended to quickly. The pool and hot tub facilities were terrific, Access to ski facilities was 10 min. away, and the town was about 20 minutes. We drove to town to eat twice, and cooked in the room twice. We ate one night at the hotel restaurant- excellent ,but expensive. Overall, our experience was terrific. There are alot of negative reviews about Tamarron. Not enough people bother to comment on a positive experience.
We will definitely come back again.

• Liked — Pool and hottub facility
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank Danarobi
Tucson
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2006

One of our stops during our vacation was Durango. We were in Durango, Co. on July 20 & 21, 2006. Twenty years ago(Dec. 15, 1986, my wife and I spent our honeymoon at Tamarron Resort. The facility was outstanding especially during the skiing season. Prior to 1986 I had stayed at Tamarron to go skiing at Purgatory. It was the place to stay and enjoy the skiing season. You could not ask for more when you stayed at Tamarron during that time of the 1980's. When I was planning our vacation this month(July, 2006), I read several negative comments in your reviews of Tamarron. I still did not believe what the negative comments were saying. I had to physically go to the Tamarron Resort facilty. I was very sad to see that Tamarron Resort was not the facility I had enjoyed for so many years of skiing and our honeymoon. I was fortunate enough to get to talk to the front desk employee who answered my many questions about the resort. I would not pay $139.00 per night to stay at Tamarron. Your website is doing a dis-service to travelers in posting positive indications about Tamarron. I wish it wasn't so of what I saw of Tamarron. I loved the area and the resort so much during all those years. I am heart broken. I hope this helps you in promoting or not promoting the resort.

Thanks

Stayed June 2006
15 Thank Africawest
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2006

I wrote a review a couple of days ago and I still stand by it. It was awful at this resort. We didn't get the correct room, no hot water, air conditioner broke in the middle of the night, we were there for 3 days and did not receive house keeping for any of our duration. We complained and complained and was told by the staff --when I tell my manager how bad it was, you will get your money back. Since we have been home--the same said staff member informed us that we were not getting our money back. We still pursued it because I feel they owe us money for having to put up with the place for 3 days and nights instead of us having to pay for it. Finally we did reach the top brass of the resort and I have to tell everyone he was professional, nice, helpful and YES he did refund all of our money.
So everyone has the correct information of this place--I still would not go back there again but if you have problems --persevere and see the manager.

• Stayed June 2006
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2006

After reserving a lodge executive suite for four nights, we stayed two nights and cancelled the remaining two nights, preferring to stay in our travel trailer with two small children. From the time we arrived the service was very poor and the staff attitudes were worse.

The driving directions provided on the confirmation letter from Durango Mountain Resorts were incorrect, advising you to turn at a sign on the property that apparantly has not existed for many years. Finding ourselves entering into the club area, we asked a security guard for directions and were treated like criminals. When we found the front desk and I pointed out the error in their directions he couldn't have cared less.

This very expensive room was average at best, with no information about the Tamarron Durango Mountain Resort or the area. The beds had only one flat sheet (no fitted sheet) and a blanket, and many of the lights were burned out or broken. The large jetted tub took nearly twenty minutes to fill up with only three inches of water - it would have been over an hour to get to the height of the jets, and probably half a day for a full bath.

The housekeeping service changed one rack of towels, left the dirty towels on the floor and did not touch our beds, although the check in information said beds would be made every day. The kitchen had one coffee bag and four packets of sugar, none of which were refilled the following day.

We called the front desk twice during our stay to ask about pool hours and check out time and were treated very rudely. When we asked to use the bell cart to move our luggage out, we were told that the one near the front desk needed to stay there and we would have to go look for one "somewhere else". We asked if the newspapers near the front desk were complimentary and were told that they were "only for owners".

There is a button on phone labeled Room Service and since there was no information in the room regarding any amenities or restaurants we dialed Room Service to get a menu. The phone rang and rang so we called the front desk to check on room service hours. Again, we were rudely told, "we don't have Room Service here!" Why the room service button and a phone line that rings? - I'm not sure.

We did enjoy the Hamilton Chop House restaurant - great food and great service.

We would not return to Tamarron and certainly would recommend paying for an upgraded suite.

• Stayed July 2006
12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2006

The photos on the internet are very misleading! The hotel is dated and the only place they have to eat in the hotel is a little dumpy cafe with no selection. The rooms are dreary and the personal at the front desk couldn't be more rude. The family ahead of us checked in with three small children at 10:00 p.m. after driving 16 hours. They unloaded their car and went up to their room only to find it dirty. The maid hadn't even cleaned it! We were given a cheaper room that was not what we paid for. The family behind us was upset about something, and the desk clerk threw the list of rooms at them telling them that nothing was available. This hotel is VERY overrated. To overbook and not care is unexceptable. It's in a beautiful area, that's it!

• Stayed July 2006