Tamarron Lodging
$167
Best Western Durango Inn & Suites(Durango)(Great Value!)
$160
Comfort Inn and Suites Durango(Durango)(Great Value!)
$161
$152
ComfortInn
$165
$161
HolidayInn.com
DoubleTree by Hilton Durango(Durango)(Great Value!)
$227
$206
Doubletree.com
Best Western Mountain Shadows(Durango)(Great Value!)
$139
$132
BestWestern.com
Hampton Inn Durango(Durango)(Great Value!)
$208
$189
Strater Hotel(Durango)(Great Value!)
$197
General Palmer Hotel(Durango)(Great Value!)
$200
Hotels.com
$270
$229
All reviewsski resortfull kitchenupstairs loftpresidential suitetop floorpool and hot tubunitkitchenetteskiingpurgatorystovefireplace
Reviewed July 28, 2005

I should have gotten some idea of how something was run by the confusion I found on the internet when I was trying to find this place. I stayed here about 8 years ago and wanted to go back primarily for the beauty of the golf course. I have traveled extensively across the southern part of the US and have played most of the top courses and remembered this one as one of the prettiest I had played. What I didn't realize was that this resort had sold these individual units as condos and now there is an association running it. The golf course was sold off and a new club house was built about a mile from this lodge and it is a private club. If you stay in this lodge you can get the right to play the course, but be sure you talk to one of the golf pros because the communication between the lodge and golf course is lacking. Don't expect much from the quality of the lodge....I think it is primarily a winter resort for Skiers that shuttle down the road to purgatory and the lodge is pretty worn. If the staff is not smoking something, I am not sure how uninformed and lost they could be for any other reason. It is well located between Durango and Silverton if you want to ride the train and play golf, but there is no other reason you would want to stay here. I will say the restaurant downstairs is extremely good...pricey, but well worth the money. Probably the best fried Calamari I have ever had and their grilled elk might be worth the drive back up there to stay at what might be as nice as a motel 6.

• Stayed: July 2005
10  Thank rebroker
Reviewed February 2, 2004

We stayed at the tamarron lodge in their 2 queen room 12/27-1/2/04.

We made the reservations late and got an excellent room. Had refrig, sink, 2 burner stove, microwave, utensils, etc. We were there to ski at durango, and it was very close to the mountain.

They had good shuttle service, the staff was very friendly, everything was good.

Except food. The staff informed me that the cafe, grill and restaurants were run by a different company and boy did it show.

For breakfast only the cafe was open, which is a deli that makes bagels, burritos, etc, all very good, but they only staff it with one person (sometimes two) and it takes forever to get in and get out.

Why can't they have a self serve quick skier breakfast. I couldn't even depend on ordering something fast like a bagel & cream cheese, as they run out.

Lunch - options were non-existent or only sometimes. The grill was susposed to serve lunch and dinner, but frequently would only serve "bar food----a set menu of a few fried things, and a couple of salads...good, but by day two you've had it.

Dinner - The grill was susposed to be open again...only bar food the whole time we were there.

The Restaurant was only open sometimes and the food was extremely excellent and expensive, but well worth it.

New year's eve we had asked if the restaurant would be open and if we needed to make reservations...they said no, both grill and restaurant would be open for dinner menus.

Guess again. This is about the 3rd time I had been told one of two facilities would be able to serve us a regular meal...not!

I called again at 6pm to check on the menu and was told only the one restaurant was open and they were only by reservations, and were full.

I asked them what was I susposed to eat today? Again they said ...bar food.

If they could work out this food business I'd recommend this resort highly. However without it, I don't like to cook or just eat at the deli shop...I think I'd skip it next time and stay at the resort.

If you're staying at one of the condos and going to cook for yourself, this is a great place.

• Stayed: December 2004
17  Thank itsmejj
A TripAdvisor Member
Prescott,Arizona
Reviewed August 31, 2003

Thanks for the opportunity to tell about this great place. My wife and I have stayed there on two occasions and thought it was great. The rooms, dinning, hotel staff and atmosphere were outstanding. We have only visited in the winter but found it to be truely enjoyable

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 21, 2003

Just returned from 2 week vacation in the Southwest. 1st week was at the Tammaron resort in Durango. Had no clue the resort was undergoing a $70M renovation - nothing on the web site, etc. Needless to say golf course was closed as well as 80% of all their amenities: basketball, lake, horseback riding, etc. At least the pool was good. Service here was the worst I have ever experienced. We had to call every day to make sure the air conditioning unit stayed on all night - they shut it down every evening (temp was 100). Furthermore, our unit's refigerator broke one night and they told us to bring our food to them and we could get it whenever we wanted. No cooler could be found.

Even with the completion of their renovation - this resort has a long way to go to become a premiere resort location (something they claim to be).

• Stayed: July 2003
29  Thank EJR316
A TripAdvisor Member
Austin, TX
Reviewed June 20, 2003

We spent our honeymoon at Tamarron in August, 1990 and we are organizing a family reunion there, for 2004! We have nothing negative to say at all abut the resort. Food, rooms, service, amenities, all were first class. We played golf, fished, hiked, dined in and dined out, and the staff did everythin to make our stay wonderful. We caught mountain trout and brought them to the resort's restaurant and the chef prepared them to our exact specifications! The golf course is one of a kind, with its pristine mountain surroundings. Its like having the best of city and solitude all rolled into one ! We cannot wait to return!

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member