“Magical”
Review of Dunton Hot Springs

Dunton Hot Springs
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Dolores
Reviewed January 15, 2013

We spent a "magical" 3 days in rustic luxury. It was snowing our first day in and this added to the adventure we found. The inclusive resort had amazing food, great places to hike and a hot springs under the stars! The staff was so wonderful and took care of all of our needs. The cabin was comfortable from the linens, sunken tub with a view of the stars, to the heated floors. This is my new favorite place to visit and stay!

Room Tip: From what I could see, there are no rooms better than others. I would love to stay in the cabin with...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 3, 2013

This is one of my favorite spots for a getaway! The staff is extremely attentive, but not overly in your face. They will help you as much or as little as you'd like during your stay. The manager and his wife are especially great and welcoming.The hot springs pool is so unique and relaxing! The cabins are also very unique and I love the decor interesting cool rugs, art, fixtures, etc. I love the tin water bottles that they give you upon arrival too. It was great that Dunton was dog friendly too, our pup was in heaven and didn't want to leave! Last, but certainly not least the food is out of this world!!! Totally worth the price tag!!

FYI, we stayed in March of 2011, but I couldn't back date my review that far and just joined TA.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 18, 2012

Peaceful, isolated beauty in snow covered mountains. Incredible hot springs in and outside...We stayed in Echo cabin a small rustic comfortable cabin next to bathhouse..
We were greeted by very attentive Eric whom was very helpful and sweet. Bruce our server, concierge,soon friend was excellent kind and attentive, and funny!
Excellent gourmet meals were prepared by exquisite chef Carrie..on one occasion , another chef was less conscious creative or attentive Shane (disappointing) and last day Daniel was very nice in the kitchen.
It was a wonderful (costly but worth it) treat to stay at Dunton and we recommend it for relaxing, romance and beauty.
We were a bit surprised and disappointed by the subtle rudeness of the general manager Eduardo whom came upon us on last evening there but did not greet us nor enquire about our stay. Surprisingly, neither the person whom we spoke with on the phone, Cherrie whom looked at me once but did not greet me. This was done daily by Bruce, Eric and Carrie.
We met lovely guests and had opportunity to do a wine tasting with a very friendly kind supplier/vineyard owner, Mr Sutcliff. Also we met briefly the owner on Dunton whom was visiting, a most kind spirit...
So, yes it was expensive but beautiful, the hot springs spectacular and most of all relaxing, peaceful and a great treat.

Room Tip: They are all very nice.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 17, 2012

We just recently rented out the whole town for our wedding. I had been there and knew it was pretty amazing but it was way better than I expected. The cabins are amazing/beautifully decorated and the beds are so comfortable. The food is so good. The staff is so nice, helpful, flexible - wanting to make the whole experience personal and amazing. Even in the details all the kids had really nice stuffed animals in all their cabins which they loved and toted around the whole weekend. The bath house and outdoor hot springs are absolutely amazing! The whole wedding weekend was so much fun and relaxing!! Probably not many people can say their wedding was relaxing!! But the staff at dunton took care of all the details - leaving me with not much to do/worry about. Many of our guests mentioned it was "the best wedding ever" and we all are anxious to return to dunton!!!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Dunton Springs is a magical place, where you can just relax and do nothing, or fill your days with activities. My husband and I went to celebrate an anniversary and stayed for 4 nights in the Echo cabin. Echo has an outdoor shower, which was kind of an issue with the cold temperatures, but fortunately the bath house is very close and you can make use of the 2 person steam shower, which was fabulous! The bed in Echo was so comfortable, and our request for extra pillows was taken care of in a snap.

Dunton also allows you to be as connected to the outside world as you want. There is wifi, but no cell service so it is up to you if you want to be available or not. There is a TV, but it is off in a secluded area, so you are never forced to watch or listen to it.

The food was great- all three chefs did an amazing job, and I'm sad that nobody in the "real world" will make me 2 three-course meals a day, plus whatever I want for breakfast. They try to use as much local food as possible, and everything is fresh and tasty.

The hot springs are nice and relaxing, with three different choices of temperature an environment. There is nothing like looking out into the starlit sky while basking in the warm waters of the outdoor spring. Be warned, don't wear a light colored bathing suit or it may get discolored (and I don't know if it would completely wash out as I brought old suits that I left at the end of our stay).

The activities they organized were all perfect, and they have a lovely spa.

Finally, one of the great things about Dunton is the service. There is always someone there to get you whatever you need, whether that is extra pillows or a glass of champagne. The staff is friendly and warm, but never obtrusive.

I would definitely recommend a trip to Dunton if you want to relax and disconnect from the every day.

Room Tip: Echo is a great little cabin. The outdoor shower would be lovely in warmer temperatures, and access...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kylie R
Reviewed November 12, 2012

My husband and I just got married at Dunton. We rented out the entire town for our closest family and friends to celebrate with us. The whole weekend far exceeded my expectations, and I expected a lot. Our guests were blown away, even though we asked them to travel many hundreds of miles to join us.

Our priority for the wedding was to be able to hang out with our guests for an entire weekend, rather than just a few hours on our wedding night. We initially looked at Dunton immediately after we got engaged, but were deterred because of the price. We spent a few months looking at other options in Telluride, Aspen and the surrounding areas, only to realize that the cost of house rentals, caterers, tents, music, decorations, etc. was adding up to be much more than what Dunton would cost and not as awesome. We ended up booking our wedding in November and risked the possibility of having some snow (which would have been fine, although it turned out to be in the high 50s every day).

Having our wedding at Dunton was one of the best decisions we have ever made. The management and staff were so professional, attentive and kind. They accommodated all of our requests. We have stayed at many top-rated hotels (The Allison, Post Ranch Inn, Meadowood, Broadmoor, etc.) and can honestly say that the service and attention to detail at Dunton exceeds them all. Also, it was so nice to make one payment and not have to worry about the cost of each cocktail.

I would highly recommend Dunton for weddings if you:
- enjoy the outdoors, but also like luxury accommodations
- are able to keep your guest list smallish. We were worried about this at first, but when we told our not-invited friends and extended family that we were having a very small wedding with immediate family and our closest friends, people seemed to understand.
- do not have a lot of elderly guests. The Dunton staff was great about transporting people in their golf carts that needed assistance, but unless you live nearby, there is a lot of travel time required to get to Dunton.

We will definitely be back. We just hope that one of our friends gets married there so we can have another amazing weekend!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Well House to have access to the private hot spring, but I also really liked Christ...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank explore30
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Our daughter and son-in-law were married there last weekend. It was perfect: "5-Star Rustic" accommodations, spectacular food, friendly and attentive staff that catered to our every need, great weather, and best of all the opportunity to spend an entire weekend with family and close friends witnessing the marriage of two very special people. I highly recommend the spa and the hot springs. I also heard the fishing and hiking were top-notch! The beds were great! We flew into Denver and then drove the rest of the way to Dunton. It made a long day of travel. I would recommend flying into a closer airport.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Sherry H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dolores
Mountain Lodge Telluride
#8 of 11 in Telluride
Madeline Hotel and Residences
Madeline Hotel and Residences
#2 of 7 in Mountain Village

Been to Dunton Hot Springs? Share your experiences!