“Not worth the price”
Review of Dunton Hot Springs

Dunton Hot Springs
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Dolores
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Where do I start? First of all, despite the many conversations I had with the reservations person, we spent over 45 minutes driving out of our way because the directions we were given were not correct. We live in CO and are used to mileage directions, not "well, when you think you've not gone far enough, you know, you go a little farther." This was the actual response from the reservations person. I was SO excited as my husband has two jobs and I thought this would be the treat of a lifetime. After we finally got there, someone came to the car and I handed them the directions we printed off the website. No greeting, no name. There were UHauls all over the place and I wondered what we'd gotten into. The cabin we requested was not the one we were given. We had been "upgraded" to the "most requested cabin." It had a tub right in the middle of it. No desk, no table. I said I didn't want that cabin and we picked Major Ross. I also needed an internet connection and to my surprise, all of them had a connection. The reservations person had "no idea". I have to say, they ARE extremely well built and care as been taken to make each one unique. Before dinner, we went for some wine and because of another review, I asked for a cheese plate. Lovely Taylor from the kitchen prepared it for us. The meal was not exceptional which surprised me - underdone elk chops and crunchy baby carrots. The veggies were the same for the lunch the next day and the dinner that day as well. I thought perhaps we would have some variety. The chef seemed extremely tense. And the 2nd night, BJ the activities person asked why we didn't partake in any of the activities. What activities? We didn't know there were any. This was mid May and it had just snowed which added to the beauty of the place but made hiking and other things impossible.

The 2nd night, Eduardo and his wife joined us along with a couple who were celebrating their anniversary with a dine and soak. They kept asking what the price was to stay and everyone looked uncomfortable and I guess it was the high price. I have NEVER paid $850 a night and never will again. I still shudder when I think of the high prices. And one reviewer is right - Trip Advisor says $250. I have to say, the remoteness of the place and the work done to make an old mining town into plush cabins is commendable but it's simply not work the price. Eduardo does try and I think he means well. The hot springs are so/so. The one outside has no place to sit if you want to be submerged. And the indoor hot pool is too deep for a short person. Again, it's a once in a lifetime experience, just too rich for our blood.

Room Tip: Major Ross cabin is awesome
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank misha_lover
There are newer reviews for Dunton Hot Springs

Reviewed October 31, 2012

First, our sincere appreciation - to Eduardo, Eric, Chad, and especially the ever-polite and effervescent Bruce - who are all living proof that courtesy is not dead in America! Our thanks also to the team of Chefs who made us appreciate meals so much! When they rang that dinner bell, my mouth started to water - talk about a Pavlovian response ...

We will not mention which cabin we were in, because we don't want others reserving it! This "living ghost town" is remarkable - the comfortable cabins, the informal communal table with congenial company, the decent local wines, the all-inclusive price - so unlike anything we have ever encountered except, perhaps, the old Club Med. It's cliche to say, but the pictures really don't do it justice, particularly the Bath-house for a long hot-spring soak with a view of the mountains. The view down the valley has the same appeal as one of our favourites - the first view of the Tetons- and removes any need to drive out to the many interesting archeological sites in the area. Besides, who wants to miss a nice hot lunch, with wine?

There are only a few things that could be done to improve this place. First, please put a restroom in the Library - so that we don't have to leave it until mealtime. What a great collection of interesting books. Also, slippers are not supplied - so bring your flipflops for heading to the bath-house, as the road is gravel. For lowlanders like us, breathing took more effort than usual because of the altitude - somewhere near 9,000 feet, according to our map. But the nights are dead quiet - a perfect getaway from city life. For adults, that is. People should take their children elsewhere. This place is for grown-ups.

We will do our best to return! Hope that new truck suits you, Bruce ...

Room Tip: Each cabin is unique and any should suit you. Firewood seems unlimited. All cabins are far enough ap...
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We flew into Durango and were picked up by the folks at Dunton. Everyone at the resort is so friendly and professional and the setting is truly unique. (How many people can say they've stayed in a perfectly restored "Ghost-Town"?) We had two spa treatments (both of which were excellent), spent time everyday in one of several hot springs, did some hiking and exploring with our own private guide (Kate), and spent a morning fly fishing. Every meal was thoughtfully prepared and delicious. We enjoyed the communal eating arrangements and met some very fun people. This is a place to go if you want to totally relax in a comfortable, "one-of-a-kind"; low-key; high-end setting.

1  Thank jameslclarke
Reviewed October 21, 2012

My husband and I had our Dream Wedding at Dunton in May. We could have not picked a more picturesque venue for our 1920's themed wedding and the staff went out of their way to make sure the weekend was absolutely perfect! We rented out the whole town and our friends and family enjoyed staying at the beautiful cabins and enjoyed the amazing meals cooked by Chef Carrie and her kitchen staff. Melanie & Edouardo took care of every little detail of the arrangements for the weekend and were such a pleasure to work with. Bruce was so welcoming and attentive and Eric went above and beyond by bringing our guests drinks in the hot springs and making us late night food. I would highly recommend Dunton for anyone wanting a romantic weekend getaway or as a destination to host your dream wedding!!!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 17, 2012

we flew into cortez and drove up to dunton in no time whatsoever.
the food was perfect. we really enjoyed the hot springs and went for a few very long walks.
just great. couldn't be nicer and better. thanks very much for a memorable stay.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank fvsgroup1
Reviewed October 16, 2012

We recently had the absolute pleasure of hosting our daughter's wedding at Dunton Hot Springs. Everything about the experience was top notch and first class. The food was remarkable and the service was the absolute best. The staff went out of their way to accommodate our every need. The cabins are unique and charming. I would highly recommend this facility to anyone whether it be for an intimate group or simply someone looking to get away for a peaceful retreat.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank jmom42
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We travel domestically and overseas extensively but have never experienced such a great combination of sense of place, serenity, staff competence and hospitality as at Dunton Hot Springs. From the arrival experience with Chad, the food quality and presentation by Chef Daniel, the professional but personal attention from Bruce and Eric, the impeccable condition of our "tent" to the spectacular surroundings, everything was magical! What a great team!

1  Thank Hans L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dolores
Circle K Guest Ranch
#1 of 11 in Telluride
Madeline Hotel and Residences
Madeline Hotel and Residences
#2 of 7 in Mountain Village

Been to Dunton Hot Springs? Share your experiences!