“A Honeymoon Above and Beyond Any Expectations”
Review of Dunton Hot Springs

Dunton Hot Springs
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Dolores
Reviewed July 28, 2011

From the initial welcoming cocktail at the saloon we knew we were going to be in good hands. Within the first hour of meeting some of the other guests, the idea that the world is small place was reaffirmed. The beauty of Dunton Hot Springs, and what sets it apart from any other place, is the balance between utter privacy yet true communal bonding. After taking a walk through some of the most serene nature around, you swap stories with the other guests at one communal table savoring some of the most incredible food.
While we were there on our honeymoon we enjoyed everything from lavender french toast with fresh berries in the morning to a BBQ at night of meat that had been smoked and slow cooked all day. On our last night, we even met the resident Winemaker John Sutcliffe and sat for 4 hours enjoying his company. Priceless.
It is hard to do justice to the special interactions you have with the guests and staff alike or really describe the utter rustic luxury that Dunton exudes.
We are already planning another trip back and can't stop talking about our special, incredible 2 days there. The post cards of Dunton are hanging on our fridge as a constant reminder.

Room Tip: we stayed in the General Store - cabin which has it's own small hot spring. It blew away expecta...
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Adam L

Reviewed July 5, 2011

We recently celebrated our wedding at Dunton Hot Springs. I can honestly say that I could not have pictured it any more perfectly. We had never been there before, booked it online and are very glad that we did. We invited ~40 of our closest friends and family to share a few days at Dunton and I wish it could have been longer! The scenic drive to Dunton is stunning. We started our weekend with a fantastic outdoor (gourmet) BBQ and the food didn't stop all weekend long. Chef Dave and his team were outstanding. From a massive cold seafood platter to fois gras stuffed elk burgers, every meal was delicious and decadent. Dave even built us a "wedding cake" out of wheels of cheese! Ed and his team of staff went above and beyond to make sure all of our needs were met. They arranged for the wedding flowers to be stored before our arrival, ordered some special out-of-state beer and made sure our wedding was truly fantastic. Bojo and her trusty pup led us on countless adventures (swimming through frozen stream!); there was horseback riding, rock climbing and wonderful fly fishing in the freshly stocked river! After all this excitement we even enjoyed relaxing spa treatments. The cabins look rustic, weathered and historic from the outside but are immaculate, luxurious and yet very cozy on the inside. The hot springs were probably the hit of the weekend; so many to choose from, the different temperatures and locations around the town add some nice variety. Just be careful, they can be a bit slippery (especially after a few drinks ;). The wonderful bartenders kept the drinks flowing and even made us late-nighters a midnight snack of grilled cheese sandwiches and heirloom tomato salad, yum!
All of our guests have commented on what a wonderful weekend and wedding it was. Every little detail has been attended to at Dunton, even wifi in this very remote town for those who need to stay in touch.
I can't wait to go back! One year anniversary maybe?!!

Room Tip: All of the cabins are amazing. I like Well House!
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 30, 2011

My wife, son and I recently had the opportunity to stay at Dunton Hot Springs in connection with a close friend's family celebration weekend. While it was our first visit, it will most certainly not be our last. If the true measure of a place is trying to figure out the next time you will return before you've even left, then there is no place better. We have traveled extensively around the world, but there is something about Dunton that is truly special. From the wonderfully appointed luxury cabins and the extraordinary food and personalized service, to the peaceful and beautiful surroundings, Dunton is truly a place to escape and appreciate the things that are most important in life. Thanks to Eduardo and the ENTIRE staff, who are tremendously responsive, while at the same time providing space for you to enjoy every moment of your stay.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank RCC99
Reviewed June 20, 2011

We have just returned home after an amazing few days at Dunton Hot Springs. We did not want to leave! We rented the entire "town" for an incredible family celebration spanning ages 2 to 72! The location is spectacular.. nestled in the mountains in a beautiful valley. I sat in my own private hot springs looking out at the meadows filled with wild flowers, running horses, and snowcapped mountain peaks. It could not have been more beautiful! The service was impeccable. I could actually enjoy the event because the general manager Eduardo took care of every detail and one of the staff members Bojo planned innovative and personalized events for the children .. scavenger hunts, skits, creative crafts, and games! The food was also unbelievable! 5 star gourmet food in a luxurious rustic setting! All of our family and friends were simply blown away by the pristine beauty of this site. It would also be a perfect place for a romantic escape ...in fact my husband and I are already planning to return in the winter for snowshoeing and ice skating! I cannot speak highly enough of this incredibly unique and breathtaking hotel!

Room Tip: Use website to pick cabin that suits you best!
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed March 9, 2011

I needed to get away and had no idea where to go. I just know it had to be someplace fabulous where I could clear my mind. I started fumbling through tripadvisor and came across Dunton. After some research and some emails with the staff I had convinced myself this was the vacation for me. I'm a middle class gal and this was an expensive vacation for me but it was worth every penny and then some.

The entire staff was excellent. They arranged everything but my airfare. No request is too small for the Dunton staff. They not only catered to my needs but every guest was special to them. It started even before me getting there when my driver got lost. She called Dunton and I could hear Melanie giving her directions on how to get there from our exact location. When I finally arrived, I received a warm welcome from Eduardo who is the property manager. He took me on a tour of the resort and showed me where all the important places are-mainly the Saloon (which is the heart of Dunton), the Bath House and of course my cabin, Major Ross.

My cabin was simply beautiful. Every nook and corner has a fascinating detail and every day I would see something different. I loved hanging out in my cabin. I could have spent the entire trip reading in my cabin and watching the snow fall but I was always out and about. I spent 5 full days at Dunton and walking around the property I always found things to take pictures of. I took close to 400 pictures! I would go out on my own and venture the trail or walk the grounds and I felt like I was on a movie set. It was truly unbelievable. I live in New Jersey and I had done some light back packing in the past and enjoyed some of the scenery in New Jersey. We have beautiful landscapes but the peace and quiet I heard at Dunton was amazing. The whole place is just magical.

The meals at Dunton are fabulous and Chef Dennis and Sous Chef John aim to please and they always hit the mark. No request is too small and they will match your dietary needs. The wonderful staff didn’t end with Eduardo, Dennis and John. Eric and Melanie are basically silent ninjas serving people in the Saloon but they also heartily participate with guests giving them directions or partaking in the banter. Eric even helped me with my snow shoes one day and he made me my breakfast sandwich on the morning I had to leave. Shari worked tirelessly scheduling guest activities. Bojo, the activities director, is this wild ball of energy and I loved it. We went snow shoeing one day with her dog, O’Malley, and it was great time. The maintence and house keeping staff were just as amazing. Even though I came alone, the staff always made me feel welcome and like I was part of the Dunton family.

I hate posting this wonderful review because I am worried I’ll never be able to get back but I will find a way to get back. I can’t wait to go back!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank katerina1976t
Reviewed February 26, 2011

For travelers who like a little luxury with their outdoors, Dunton is the gold standard. My wife and I spent five nights in Major Ross over the New Year's holiday and have not stopped raving since we returned home. Everything about Dunton is carefully thought out and perfectly executed: the rustic elegance of the cabins, the lovingly restored library, the fireplace in the bath house, the exquisite bar, and the peerless menus prepared with local ingredients. The staff genuinely cares about this place, and it shows -- the energy that went into the New Year's Eve dinner, for example, was not only tremendous but heartfelt. The activities coordinator spent hours each day building an ice rink by hand, and the rest of the day devising activities for the resort's only child in residence. And the setting is incomparable; it takes hours to get to, but that's precisely what makes it so special. We cross-country skied each morning of our stay (on brand new equipment from Dunton's barn), ate a hearty lunch with a local microbrew, and whiled away the afternoons in the bathhouse and with books by the woodstove in our cabin. And when there was a college bowl game we just couldn't miss, there was satellite TV in the lodge, not to mention wireless Internet. We would not change a thing -- and we hope they never do.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sfhotels
Reviewed February 17, 2011

We stayed here during thanksgiving 2010, not an easy place to get to, but once we finally arrived it was worth it, our cabin was super comfy, the staff was amazing and the food was so great. The hot springs are nothing you have ever experienced, they has a few outdoor hot springs porting over to the main enclosed fancy hot spring. This is pretty much the perfect winter getaway. I am sure it equally amazing in summer. I will be back here soon.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank djoslin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dolores
Circle K Guest Ranch
#3 of 7 in Mountain Village
Dunton Town House
Dunton Town House
#8 of 11 in Telluride

Been to Dunton Hot Springs? Share your experiences!