“BEST BED AND BREAKFAST IN COLORADO”

Rio Grande Southern Hotel B&B
Ranked #3 of 4 Dolores B&B and Inns
Cow Island, LA
“BEST BED AND BREAKFAST IN COLORADO”
Reviewed May 4, 2013

I read the previous reviews and was somewhat leary to stay here but the charm called me in! I travel often and was sooo impressed with this bed and breakfast...WARNING: DON'T EXPECT Don't expect a brand new, evrything in place, perfect chain type hotel. It was true to life, an old place with a laid back feeling to it. There was an older woman their named Barbara (everybody calls her MOM) that was helping out (reminded me of my Gramma). She seemed to be everybodies favorite! WE WERE TREATED LIKE THEY REALLY ENJOYED HAVING US. This experience brought us back in time when you all you had to do on vacation was sit back and enjoy what you have and don't JUDGE, BE NEGATIVE AND JUST LOOK FOR BAD THINGS TO SEE BECAUSE THERE IS NO PERFECT PLACE EXCEPT HEAVEN AND THIS WAS THE CLOSEST TO HEAVEN I HAD EVER BEEN! (INCLUDING THE ANGEL, BARBARA) If you are in Delores you need to stay at the RIO GRANDE SOUTHERN HOTEL AND RELAX AND ENJOY!!!

Room Tip: Every room had its own personalty! Not like the same old every room the same chain hotels!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Brodney331

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
san diego
Reviewed August 3, 2012

As I'm sitting on the bed in my room at the Rio Grande Southern B & B, I decided to go ahead and rate this property...upon arrival, we were greeted warmly, and checked in. The room was as promised, super large en-suite bathroom and very comfortable bed. The owner Suzi is a hard-working woman, obviously loves what she does, and goes out of her way to make sure you are comfortable. She has worked hard on fixing up/cleaning up what the old owners left her, and she will eventually turn this place into a top-notch B& B...there are a few things left to do, such as hang a few pictures, and other sprucing up. Overall, we had a great experience here, the food was excellent, plentiful, and prepared to order. I'm not a fish eater, and she happily fixed something different for me on the Friday night fish fry...super accommodating...will we be back here? Heck yes!! Very nice people, who go out of their way to make sure your stay is all you hoped it would be....

Room Tip: We stayed in room #4
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank stilltravellin
Naples, Florida
Reviewed August 2, 2012

I loved staying here for two weeks this past summer.Suze the owner so caring,her main concern that all guests are truly comfortable,don't find this in a lot of motels.My room small yet so very clean & comfortable.The restaurant below served excellent food.When staying here Friday night fish fry & Saturday's German meal a must,thanks Rita so enjoyed your food.Thanks Suze for every thing your the best ever.Lorie & Alley.

Room Tip: haven't a tip since all rooms are cozy & comfortable
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank lorie w
Evergreen, Colorado
Reviewed June 25, 2012

It was my birthday and we stayed at this lovely B£B. Susie, the lovely owner, had a rose waiting for me. The room was grorgously decorated and I felt like a princess staying there. Had our own bathroom with wonderful shampoos and nice smelling lotions. We had a yummy German dinner there too. Really enjoyed the small town feel of Dolores - great local grocery store with homemmade pastries, and great microbrews at brewery too.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank julievida
Englewood, Colorado, United States
Reviewed May 20, 2012

I was hesitant because there wasn't much info about the Rio Grande Southern on-line but my son lives in Mancos and he said the locals highly recommend it. It was the perfect place for me to stay and the prices were reasonable. The restaurant was wonderful. They are becoming known for their Friday night fish frys.Breakfast was awesome as well. If you are looking for the luxury of a Ritz Carlton, this is not it. But if you are looking for something with more character that is clean and comfortable, I highly recommend the Rio Grande Southern Hotel B&B.
Kathy

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Kathy S
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed August 7, 2011

We had reservations but after seeing their less than clean and tidy restroom and viewing the lobby/living area with two large dogs and an abundance of dog hair everywhere we opted to cancel our reservations (without hassle which we appreciated) and go on to Rico. We had been looking forward to our stay and were shocked at the condition in light of the website presentation. Considering that there is a restaurant we were amazed that the health authorities allow the state of uncleanliness we observed.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Desertsand12282
anthem
Reviewed June 12, 2011

Rio Grande Southern Hotel Bed & Breakfast is the second oldest building in Dolores, Colorado. The accomodating couple running the B&B are terrific - - clean rooms, awesome food (restaurant downstairs), totally historic - - everything you could ask for in a B&B! We'll be back any time we're in Colorado. Don't stay at a national chain hotel in Cortez - - drive the 10 min up to Dolores and enjoy the finest Colorado has to offer. We weren't sorry we did - - it made all the difference in our trip.

Room Tip: Ask for the Teddy Roosevelt room - -
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank anthembiker
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dolores
Circle K Guest Ranch
Circle K Guest Ranch
#2 of 2 in Dolores
Retro Inn at Mesa Verde
Best Western Turquoise Inn & Suites
Hampton Inn Mesa Verde / Cortez
Baymont Inn & Suites Cortez
Dolores River Campground and Cabins

Been to Rio Grande Southern Hotel B&B? Share your experiences!