“Excellent tour and facility!”

Colorado Wolf and Wildlife Center
Ranked #1 of 5 things to do in Divide
Reviewed July 8, 2011

Wanting to do something different, we booked a tour and photo opportunity at the Colorado Wolf and Wildlife Center. This is a beautiful facility with staff that truly care about the animals in their care. They ask for a minimum donation of $10 for the tour ( a tremendous bargain for the tour that you get) which lasts almost an hour. The tour was very informative about the animals (both wolves and foxes) and their conservation efforts. It was a hot day and frankly I was not expecting to see much of the animals. I was wrong!! Most of the wolves came to the entrance of their enclosure when the tour group arrived anticipating the treats they would get from the tour guide. We spent the extra money to go into one of the enclosures and have our pictures taken with the wolves! It was well worth our time and money and I love that my money is going towards a worthy cause.

1  Thank Laurie S
in 8 reviews
"animal lovers"
"once in a lifetime"
in 12 reviews
"wolf and wildlife center"
in 19 reviews
"love animals"
"amazing experience"
in 13 reviews
"tour guides are"

Reviewed July 6, 2011

As a surprise for my wife, I took her to the Colorado Wolf and Wildlife Center in June 2011. We started with the standard tour with a large group of people. Great value. Learned a lot about the wolves and foxes. But, as is often the case when visiting zoos or wildlife centers, it is hard to get that million dollar photo from behind a fence, and we really wanted a more immersive experience.

Fortunately, I had added the VIP tour to our experience, which resulted in us spending 30 minutes (two 15 minute sessions in different enclosures) with the wolves, inside their habitats. The wolf kisses were frequent and intense. They really go for it, as licking your face and mouth is apparently how wolves check you out! The wolves also love to play, and my wife ended up playing hide-and-seek with Kekoa, one of the friendly, happy wolves....very, very cool. There were 2 employees with us at all times and we never felt scared or intimidated by the wolves. We got some amazing photos and videos that our friends cannot believe.

OK, so the VIP tour is expensive ($150 total for the 2 of us), but these people are doing a good thing in rescuing, and educating the public about, these wolves. So I felt good about spending the money. Plus, how often does one get to play with and be kissed by a wolf?

Highly, highly recommended!

4  Thank snipesmorris
Reviewed July 6, 2011

A friend highly recommended this attraction. I made reservations by telephone (the only method in which they take reservations) one month in advance. I was required to purchase the tickets at that time and was told that if we didn't show up for the tour, the amount would be used as a donation. We paid a total of $40.
We live 2 1/2 hours away and had reservations to camp in the same area. Two weeks prior to leaving on our trip, we reserved information from the Park Services that, due to extremely high fire risk, no burning of wood, coals, butane or anything of that nature would be allowed. We easily canceled our camp reservations which required a small non-refund reservation fee. When I called to cancel our tour, I was told that since we "weren't showing up", there would be no refund. I told her that I was canceling two weeks in advance, rather than just "not showing up". She offered to send me a receipt for the "donation". I told her that they needed to be much more clear when defining "not showing up". In other words, NO CANCELLATIONS ALLOWED!!

8  Thank Wdy731
Reviewed June 20, 2011

We went to the Colorado Wolf and Wildlife Center. We did the regular tour which was awesome. It wasn't much walking and Darlene told us wonderful stories about each animal in the sanctuary. We got to take pictures and at the end of the informative tour we had a group howl followed by a chorus of Wolf howls echoing ours. It was incredible!

After the regular tour we went on the VIP Tour. Sitting on the ground inside one of the large beautiful enclosures and watching one of the huge male wolves walk up to our daughter was awesome and seeing her face was priceless. She is wolf crazy and this was a dream of her's. After petting him for awhile he rolled over and let her rub his belly, closing his eyes contentedly. I think he would have let her rub his tummy all afternoon.

After spending time in that enclosure we went into the "pups" quarters. The pups range in age from 18 months to over 2 years of age. Darlene took beautiful pictures of all three of us interacting with these beautiful animals. Na'vi a huge black wolf was our favorite. I sit my camera down for a second and he took off with it. We got to chase and play with him for quite a long while before getting my camera back unhurt! It was a wonderfully fun experience.

We are very thankful people like Darlene exist in this world, to care for these magnificent animals. We learned so much and even further increased our daughter's love of these beautiful animals. She is working hard now to spread the word of how mistreated and misrepresented these awe inspiring animals have been in the past and even now.

Thank you to the wonderful staff and to Darlene for a life changing experience!

2  Thank okfarmfamily