“Worth the wait?”

Dining options: Lunch
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Worth the wait?”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I have driven past this place countless times and it's either closed or I'm hauling a trailer and you simply can't park in their parking lot with a trailer. This time I was in Divide on business so my hubby and I decided to finally give it a try.

Sadly, being a windy, cold day, we couldn't sit outside and had to sit at one of the limited number of stools at tables around the wall. If we had eaten outside, it may have made a huge difference to our experience. Put three people indoors at once and it sounds like a crowded bar!

I'll get on to the food in a minute, but the owners, who seem to read these reviews (good for them for caring :) ) need some feedback about customer service. The woman, who I presume was an/the owner, and the young lady working the day we visited were very friendly. However...... one of the big faults I have is not being acknowledged when I go into a place to eat. A simple "hello" or nod of the head is enough to let you know they know you are there. Maybe it's just me, but I think it's a nice touch. There was another customer in there who had obviously just got his takeout. He took up the very limited counterspace and kept talking even though he knew we were waiting. It would have been appropriate for the owner to maybe have stepped around the counter and away so other customers could get close and maybe hear what was being said to them. The second nice touch would have been to let us know the procedures. Okay, we did figure out that you ordered at the counter. We weren't, however, told where menus were and when, on collecting our order from the counter, that we were to help ourselves to the drink that was supposed to come with lunch. I get from reading the reviews that most of the clientele are locals or at least regulars and they know how things work, as a new customer, I didn't feel like we much mattered.

I am not an expert on American bbq, far from it. Aussie bbq's are hugely different and we don't have restaurants like these in Australia. Anyway..... hubby and I both ordered the lunch special of bbq pork sandwich, baked beans, slaw and a drink. I thought the lunch was okay, definitely filling. Hubby wasn't thrilled. These are the reasons. We were asked if we wanted our sandwiches "mild" or "spicy". Hubby ordered spicy. He said it wasn't spicy at all. Both of our sandwiches were on soggy buns, I mean really soggy and the pork was cold. I just hope that it was an "off" day. To me, the beans and slaw were pretty good, the slaw being particularly crunchy although the slaw dressing was kind of watery.

We both will give it another try one day. We do drive by several times a month so on a nice day when we can sit outside, we might again, and if it is better, I will definitely give an update. :)

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank DesertKoala

Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Incredible BBQ”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

My husband and I were in Divide, CO last week, it was lunch time and we were hungry - happened upon The Smokin' Q and are we glad we did. It's a wonderfully cute, funky, very small place, there are a counter and some stools inside and a few picnic tables outside. We decided upon the lunch special, a pulled pork slider with sides of coleslaw and baked beans. We both chose the mild sauce which was about the best BBQ sauce I've ever had, and I've had plenty.

When you enter the small cabin which houses the restaurant you're greeted by the wonderful smells of barbequed/smoked meat, sauce and the most amazingly good baked beans. Just the aroma was enough to tell you that you were in for a treat.

The slider turned out to be a large pile of pulled pork on a hamburger bun, so it wasn't small. The baked beans were every bit as good as they smelled and the coleslaw was awesome - all the flavors blended together into a very pleasing meal. And, it was only $4.99, which also included a drink - you just can't beat that deal!

While we were there some other customers got a smoked trout burrito. I don't like fish and that burrito looked wonderful. Filled with so much, it was huge - enough for two. Even though I don't like fish, I have to admit that the fresh smoked trout smelled wonderful. I believe the trout burrito was called the "Kenny." The couple eating it were enjoying it - they'd made a special trip just for that. Judging from their happy faces and smiles I'd say the smoked trout burrito is a winner too.

The woman behind the counter was friendly and very nice, the service was excellent. Oh, and there is a very clean, nice bathroom for customer use.

So, if you find yourself in Divide, CO and it's meal time, stop by The Smokin' Q.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Christie B
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Good local BBQ”
Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

This is a roadside joint. It small, the menu is limited but that's ok because it's mostly just a barbecue sandwich place. Their barbecue is outstanding and it is way better than Rudy's. I haven't noticed any political talk when I was there and never engage in that type of conversation myself. This is a good local place for barbecue.

2 Thank Connoisseur1_11
Canyon Lake, Texas
“Amazing Smoked Trout”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We tried the smoked trout breakfast taco and the pulled pork breakfast taco, both were fresh and a very large portion for a great price. The trout was fresh and had a lot of flavor. It was worth the wait. The owner was the only one working and she was making your order as you were making it so it took a little bit for us all to get our food but I don't like to judge a place on service, one say it may be bad and the next great. The quality of food is where I decide on a place, and this place has great food. known for their smoked trout, it is a must try.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank TheLoftins
TX
“The Real Deal”
Reviewed December 5, 2012

We're BBQ snobs, I won't say where from. We think this is a great place!
Good value, good portions, good quality.

Visited August 2012