“Its Chuck E Cheese with beer”
Review of Dillon Dam Brewery

Dillon Dam Brewery
Ranked #2 of 34 Restaurants in Dillon
Cuisines: American, Brew Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: We are an American-style restaurant serving lunch, dinner, and a kids' menu. Regionally sourced meats and produce anchor our large menu. We weave beer into our recipes and design our food to pair with our brews. We try to offer something for everyone. That's why we have such a large menu and brew beers from the very pale to the very dark. And we do give a Dam about dietary restrictions - so we offer gluten friendly and vegetarian options.
Reviewed March 10, 2013

A good brew pub serves up a hoppy IPA, a meal a bit better than bar food, and offers a nice place to sit and relax. The Dam Brewery delivers none of these.

Nowadays, IPAs are de rigeur in all brew pubs. But not here. That should have been my first hint of what was to come. Shortly after being seated upstairs next to the billiard tables, the floor show started. A dozen pre-pubescent children regaled us patrons with whooping and hollering around the billiards table. Nothing beats having a pint of watery pilsner like the syncopation of 10 billiard cues stomped in unison against the floor.

The parents were AWOL, having retreated to a corner of the bar, only too happy to escape from their little darlings. The staff played ignorant to the cacophony, inured by the sounds of the inbred mountain locals that make up their daily patronage. (A night out for the mountain women offers a chance to display their finest North Face jackets, purchased with the money they saved by boycotting make-up). At one point, I got the attention of one of the workers–the Jerry Garcia-looking wannabe in a tie-dyed shirt– to prevail upon the kids to keep the roar to a minimum. A seance with the real Jerry Garcia would have been more productive.

Clearly the place is a destination for tired parents to dump the kids after a rough day of schussing. But why not “drop the kids at the pool” down the street at McDonalds, where banshee behavior is expected?

As to the food and service... salads are usually served before the entree, not with it. The warm spinach salad featured tired mushrooms, with too much dressing. The only breakfast item was huevos rancheros, which I figured could not come out of the kitchen too cocked up. Its just eggs and beans. And that’s what I got–eggs and beans on a tortilla. My wife’s French dip sandwich was served on ciabatta bread, a nice touch. I stole some of her fries, which were wooden and over-cooked.

All in all, I expect better in Colorado–but not in Dillon. The food is unimaginative, the ambiance torture, and the lack of an IPA inexcusable for a brew pub. The place is conflicted between being a bar and a daycare operation. My suggestion–tell the staff that if the parents abandon their sugar-enriched kids for an hour, Mickey Dees is just down the street. And Mr. Brew Master-- find the recipe for an IPA.

There are newer reviews for Dillon Dam Brewery

Reviewed February 25, 2013

We were told there was a 20 minute wait. After ordering our 2nd drink at the bar (anticipating being seated very soon, and being able to skip the drink ordering at the table), we finally went to ask about when we would be seated. They apparently had skipped us on the list.....not intentionally of course, but our 20 minute wait turned out to be around 40 minutes. Once seated, we were waited on right away, however after our food was served, our waiter was quite slow to check back with us and we had empty drink glasses on the table until we asked him for water refills. The food was quite good, except the chicken fried chicken. It was a small fried chicken breast, cut in half, and was very dry. The trout, beef medallions and French dip were all very good. One of us ordered onion rings, but was served French fries. Another of us ordered the gravy for the potatoes to be on the side and it wasn't. The waiter apologized but did not offer to replate the meal properly with gravy on the side. We ordered dessert - Granny Apple Crisp and Monster brownie. Both were enormous and very good!

Reviewed February 25, 2013

place was busy even at 5:30 on a weekday night. We were pleasantly surprised that we didn't have to wait too long. My boys ordered raviolis that they enjoyed. I ordered a shimp and pasta dish. My only complaint is the shrimp still had the tails on. The fish soup was delicious. Ordered one of their dark brews. Tasted similar to a Guiness. Despite the hustle and bustle of this place, still received good and attentive service. There were no spots left to park in so I parked in the bank lot higher than the restaurant.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Dillon Dam Brewery is a very popular spot for locals and visitors. We had several good dishes here, but everyone agreed the buffalo burgers were the best we had ever had anywhere.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

We sampled many of their beers. My favorite was the Bock. My friend loved the Stout. Their food was unexpectedly delicious for pub food. I had half a rack of St. Louis ribs dripping in sauce and it fell off the bones.