“South Pearl Street's Best”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Black Pearl - CLOSED

Black Pearl
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Between Iowa and Florida on South Pearl
Transit: Near the Louisiana Lightrail station.
Denver
“South Pearl Street's Best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

South Pearl Street has a two block stretch with a half dozen of Denver's best eating establishments. We vote for Black Pearl as the best of these best! The menu is creative, exciting, appetizing, and dynamic. There is always something new that calls to be savored. Imagine "De-Constructed Clam Chowder," for instance. The wine list is awesome! The staff is professional, knowledgeable, with keen palates and great taste. Parking can be challenging on occasion, so take your bikes, or walk over from the light rail stop. You will be glad you did!

Visited January 2013

Billings, Montana
“Excellent staff and food, warm ambience.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

I have dined at this restaurant probably 7 times over the past few years and it is always consistently very good. The staff is accommodating, helpful, and appropriately engaging. The last visit I was alone and was going to sit at the very nice bar to eat, so as not to take up a table for a couple. The very astute manager sensed I would rather eat in the dining area and made me feel very welcome and quickly showed me to a lovely table. I had the "specia"l (skirt steak with a current reduction) and was not disappointed. The wine suggestion from my server was perfect...if not a bit expensive when I got my check. I would say this is a pricey restaurant for a middle of the week dinner, however you could order small plates and get by maybe under $30 (with a glass of wine). I have been here for their brunch as well which is excellent, well-known and well attended.

• Visited January 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best dining experience I had in Denver”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

My husband and I visited Denver recently, and dined at several different restaurants. Nothing compared to our experience at the Black Pearl. Chef Mitch is an up and comer for sure. He has a very bright future. The duck liver mousse and the short ribs are not to be missed. The gnocchi was exceptional as well. We love the decor of the place and look forward to going back again when we visit in the spring to experience the outdoor dining space. Also we look forward to visiting Chef Mitch's next restaurant which is to open sometime in 2013. I'm sure it's going to be great.

1 Thank 40Park
Evergreen, Colorado
“Nice atmosphere, but the food left us disappointed...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

We went to celebrate a friend's birthday and we had reservations on a Saturday evening. It was crowded. The restaurant itself is beautiful and the service was also excellent. Everyone else was alright with their meal, but I pushed mine around on my plate to make it look like I had eaten some of it. The grilled romaine salad was so over-dressed I couldn't eat it. It was saturated. It was a Cesar dressing which had a VERY strong anchovy flavor. Too much dressing and too strong a flavor. The menu is very limited. I chose the Yak because the server said it was delicious and VERY tender. It had very good flavor, but it was so tough and gristly I couldn't eat more than a few very selected bites. I tried my best to cut around the bad areas, but it pretty much was a bad cut of meat. I know it sounds like I may have chosen poorly, but everything on the menu is somewhat unusually prepared. My husband had the lamb and he thought it was delicious, but a little undercooked (seared and almost raw and he asked for it medium). He didn't feel well from it the next day. Not sure I would recommend the Black Pearl or go back there.

• Visited October 2012
“Not worth it”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

I live in the neighborhood. I've tried the pearl several times and have never been treated well. I must not look rich enough to garner good service. I always feel as though we don't belong.