Review of Black Pearl - CLOSED

Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Between Iowa and Florida on South Pearl
Transit: Near the Louisiana Lightrail station.
Reviewed January 19, 2012

If you like salt, this is the place for you. The dishes are pretty small and overseasoned with salt.

Reviewed September 21, 2011

Went for lunch with a friend. The server was very pleasant, the seating outside was lovely. The food was another thing. I ordered a grilled chicken breast on a ciabatta roll. I can't tell you how old the roll was. The size of the sandwich was so small, I left hungry. It was not a chicken breast, it was a PIECE of. Chicken breast. With tip it cost me $15.00 for lunch. my friend ordered the cauliflower soup, which had such a pepper kick, it was awful. Now I understand why the restaurant was empty

Reviewed August 21, 2011

I give this restaurant four stars for ambience, if you sit on the
patio. I give it two stars for food. Particulars: The peach soup
appetizer was too sweet. It might have worked as dessert but even at
that, it was too rich. The corn chowder was described as sweet, which
it was, in an appropriate kind of way (unlike the peach soup), but be
forewarned, it is also very spicey/hot and the tamales that came with
it were dry and tasteless. My husband says the oysters were the best
part of the meal. The calamari was soaked in teriyaki sauce. If you
love teriyaki, I suppose you might love the calamari. Regarding
entrees, the duck was really good and I don't even particularly love
duck. It doesn't come with any sides to speak of. The medium rare
steak was served raw. The crab cake, a mixture of crayfish and crab,
was inedible. The gnocchi was cooked to perfection. Portions, other than the calamari, were
generous but everything was too salty. The patio was lovely inspite
of the noise coming from the bar just behind it and the outdoor
ambience on one of the most beautiful evenings of the summer was worth
the less than mediocre food. However, there are many other
restaurants in Denver with awesome patios AND awesome food, so the
Black Pearl is not one I will be returning to.

Reviewed July 5, 2011

This was a great restaurant and all the servers were excellent. We had one server helping ours, so our service was excellent! The goat cheese flan was excellent, and the mussels were perfect. I loved the homemade s'more for dessert. It was nice to see the beers on the menu were only Colorado, and everything within reason was locally grown/produced.

We had a table right next to the large open window, so we were able to watch people walking down Pearl.

A bit pricey, but you get excellent quality and service and it's worth it!

Reviewed November 15, 2010

What a pleasure to eat fine food, prepared as if the chef loves to cook. Our table afforded us a view of the kitchen and we watched the busy staff work happily together preparing the food. It's nice to see and hear a pleasant atmosphere.

We just as the restaurant was starting to fill and insisted on being seated at a table for four even though the hostess was lining parties of two against one wall like books on a shelf. Those tables were so close that women's purses would have been kissing on the floor. If I'm eating a multi-course dinner, I'm spreading out.

The wines are very nice and there is a wide variety of prices to choose from.

We started with a cheese plate, something we should see more often, and we let Eric choose the cheeses, all excellent but the pedestrian Haystack goat. The applesauce jam was an unexpected pleasure. I then chose the tasting menu and he the steak. Each of us were absolutely pleased. The chef prepared so well we didn't need to season anything.

The food came out perfected and European slow, allowing us to linger over each course and talk about our week and then plan the deck addition,and even the vacation to watch the whales. Our only frustration, easily fixed once we asked, was that the music was too loud.

The décor of this small restaurant works well with the brick and wood. While our server knew the menu and was the epitome of grace and friendliness, we had to insist that he pull some empty plates as things got busy. They must have been short a bus person.

Other front staff could have filled in, but apparently they don't when things get busy. We ended up abandoning our table so they could clear it and standing by the register to get our bill paid so they could seat other patrons. Without this, the excellent chef and superior food would have me rating this 5-star all the way.

I'm indicating "dressy" as the dress code in lieu of casual as this is not sweats or jeans. It's more business casual, if you know what I mean, to club attire.