“What a dinner! Beer "pairings" with our meal!”
Review of The Cheeky Monk - CLOSED

The Cheeky Monk
Cuisines: Belgian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Capitol Hill
Reviewed January 17, 2013

We come to Denver each time at the same year for work and stay at the Ramada just down the street on Colfax. We always passed by this place as it looks like just another neighborhood pub (and there's so many great ones in the area!) we always just walked by.

We finally decided to check it out!

We ended up having one of the best meals we've ever had in all the years in Denver. Mike was our waiter (he looks alot like Hugh Laurie aka "Dr. House!" and we all had alot of fun with it!) and he was extraordinary. There were so many incredible beers (and yes, some of them are pricey) but you'll never find anything like this! We couldn't decide so Mike suggested two different flights of beer...each containing 4 samples of various Belgians.

Mmmmm....it was better than wine tasting. With each one, Mike would give us little snippets of the history and complexity of the beers and how each would be good with various types of food.

We settled on about four that were a cut above, but believe me, in any other situation, all of the other beers would have been excellent. It was like they were 10's and some were 11's! (And I'm NOT a big beer drinker!)

We started dinner with the garlic infused shoe-string fries then I had their French onion soup. My wife had their seafood chowder (really uniquely delicious!) and perfect for a cold Denver evening in the city.

For dinner, we went with the Bangers and Mash...real home made saurkraut, creamy mashed potatoes and two huge apple sausages served with their mustard dipping sauce. Mike suggested the mussels steamed in curry for my wife served with fries and bread for dipping.

With each "course" Mike made various suggestions of beer that were perfectly paired for each item. He was on the mark with each. Each Belgian was completely different and unlike anything I've ever had.

We left with happy tummies and a great evening to remember. We'll be back. Ask for Mike! Sometimes he works behind the bar. I think next time, we'll just sit at the bar and hang with him as we eat. He's a kick! This as as good as any white-table cloth place we've eaten downtown with stuffy waiters! In fact, this was probably better! I'd rather eat at the Cheeky Monk!

Reviewed January 7, 2013

We went to this pub in downtown Denver on New Year's day. Since this entire trip to Denver revolved around seeing family, drinking beer, and staying warm (not necessarily in that order), we were looking for unique places to try. This place definitely fit the bill. Some beers were expensive (but not much more than at Argonauts down the street); I settled for a 4-beer flight which was all I needed for the meal. And a great way to try different Belgian beers on draft. Service was excellent, the fried pickles were good but different (an entire spear?), and the food was great. One had bangers and mash, I had the Monte Cristo. Both were very good, filling, and well crafted and done. A warm and inviting place on a cold night, and an excellent choice.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

Best Belgian Beer pub in Denver. Period. Staples on tap and a never-ending barrage of rotators that keep you coming back to see what's next! A friendly and extremely knowledgeable staff, if they can't help you find a beer you like, well, then you don't like beer.

Food is good with the mussels and frites being the menu highlight what with their wide array of sauces and aiolis to choose from!

Oh, and lest I forget... best beer HH in town. From 11-2 everyday, you can get the vast majority of their beers on tap for 1/2 off.

Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

Stopped by for a quick dinner and a couple of beers before a show at the bluebird. Had some interesting specials but I sued it safe with the French dip. It was good but not memorable and my table mates would all say the same. Go for the beers. They have a large selection of Belgium beers that you probably have never had. My meal And two beers with tip was $30.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

Mediocre service, medium to poor food, beers priced like fine wine. Now maybe you don't mind paying $10- for an 8 or 10 oz. pour of beer, but when the food doesn't match the high value beer, where do you go. You can only eat so many garlic fries, although they're good. Sadly the food must shine first. Anyone can sell beers from around the world, but the kitchen has to at least compete.