“ok stay but not up to "Ritz" standards”

The Ritz-Carlton, Denver
Ranked #8 of 157 Hotels in Denver
atlanta, GA
“ok stay but not up to "Ritz" standards”
Reviewed May 25, 2011

The finishes in the hotel were very nice. The room had a lot of problems that added up over my 5 night stay. First when I checked in no one helped me to my room with my bags, the hair dryer was broken and the replaced it when asked but a pain in the morning when trying to get ready. They left both the broken one in the room which I brought down to the front desk after using it again and realizing it was the broken one. The mirror in the shower steams up so it is pointless..Why have it if you can't use it? No soap was in my shower which I of course discovered while taking my shower - who checks for this stuff or should have to at the Ritz? Lights did not work in my room so it was always dark the bathroom lighting was terrible. I listened to the whole conversation of the person staying next door and the person he was on the phone with because the walls were so thin. When I ate at Elways for a salad my chicken was so tough I asked the bartender for a steak knife to cut it and he gladly obliged but why should I need a steak knife to cut my chicken? Service was just so lacking it seemed. I went to the gym and the signage to the gym and in the gym was terrible. No one to direct you just a little sign in clip board...and the hours were terrible - not open long enough which limited my ability to work out 50% of my trip. When I left I wanted to weigh my luggage and asked if the bell stand had a scale to which 3 employees replied there is a scale in your room. There was no scale in my room. I looked. Just minor things but they really added up to a poor stay at an expensive hotel. Maybe others have had a better experience. I talked at length to the manager and he just said he would make sure to address it. I for one won't be spending the extra money for a stay here...just not worth it...

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Highland Beach, Florida
Reviewed May 23, 2011

we made a reservation for a luxury suite (almost 2500sf according to their web site) and checked in as Mr and Mrs. Something should have signalled to the hotel that there would be 2 people in the room so two sets of towels, 2 robes.. 2 sets of bath amenities!
Although a simple call and small tip to housekeeping resolved the issue quickly.. i think the hotel shold have been better prepared. The suite was spacious enough but in my humble opinion poorly designed. When you reserve a suite on a high floor you are really paying for the view, which in this case was less than stellar. In two of the main rooms - the living and dining room the view was blocked almost entirely by support beams which ran on a 45 degree angle across the window!! I must say that i have never seen this before ! The bathroom had no view despite the photo shown on the web site that shows a bath with a spectactular view over the city. The room also lacked up to date info on Denver.. the magazines and info on the city dated back more than three months to February issues. Does this mean that the room had not be occupied since then? or that each guest since February kept the magazines as a souvenir ?? Again a phone call to the concierge brought several destination magazines.
We went to the Club lounge three or four times over the weekend and found the staff were incredibly attentive and genuinely helpful.We asked several questions about shopping, the location of our meeting, the location of an event we were attending and dining. The staff in the lounge are truly first rate!
We dined at Elways twice.. we enjoyed dining there the first time so much that we dined there again on the second night of our stay. We dined on some delicious sushi, some good wines and great truffle fries. The staff were friendly and courteous.
We will return to Denver again for another event later this year and would not hesitate to return to the Ritz although not in a luxury suite... in this case the luxury suite is a contradiction in terms....

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Atherstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 1, 2011

Everything about this hotel was perfect. The bed was amazing, huge and unbelievably comfortable. The room was absolutely spotless and I mean spotless. We are very fussy when it comes to cleanliness and we could not fault this place. The room was well equiped with a large flat screen TV and X Box, a large sideboard which contained the mini bar and a lovely coffee machine with a range of coffees to choose from. The shower was really big and a joy in the mornings with nice quality toiletries. There was also a large bowl of fruit when we arrived and room service, even at night, was brilliant - try the mac and cheese and the philly cheese steak. Vallet parking is excellent. The whole hotel had the ameneties of a large establishment but with the friendly helpfulness of a small, family run hotel. The staff were always excellent and extremely helpful. We had a room at the back of the hotel which gave us a view of the sunset and the Colorado Rockies stadium so we watched the fireworks at the end of the game from the window.

Room Tip: Go to Snooze for breakfast, best in the world!
  • Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed April 8, 2011

We stay at a lot of the RC hotels mostly because they are consistent in service and cleanliness and, for the most part, this hotel fit that category. Spa service was excellent, but the spa itself was very basic. The jacuzzi was a thumbprint and the steam room not that much bigger. Clean yes, but the difference between the spa at Bachelor Gulch and this one in Denver is staggering. I've seen local rec centers with better facilities. However, the spa treatment itself was excellent, as expected..

Club level was very lacking compared to other Club Levels. No top shelf alcohol, cheap liquor, and no actual bar. Food offerings were just that, and pitiful. They even had the exact same selection two days in a row...did we get leftovers?? The in room dining (breakfast) was awful. the coffee tasted burnt, the potatoes were fatty and looked several hours old. I would suggest eating off site, there are plenty of good restaurants within walking distance or a short car ride (which the Ritz do provide.)

The bed extended the mattress a good 6 inches. It's very easy to stub your toe. We filled out the survey they emailed us and invited the hotel to contact us directly, they didn't. This is a shame, as I actually used to work for RC many moons ago and every comment by a client was taken seriously and addressed. This is the second time in 2 years I have had some negative feedback ( the other was during a stay at RC Marina Del rey where the spa was filthy) and they didn't bother then either. I would still stay at a RC but something has happened with customer follow up...i.e. it died.

The price was non-ritz like too, which is a plus! It was extremely good value for the price and for that, we would ignore the imperfections and stay again. Howvever, if their prices increased to match other RC hotels, we would probably skip this hotel

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank colotravet
Vail, Colorado
Reviewed March 23, 2011

This is not my first time at the Ritz Carlton, Denver - but it is my most favorite visit! We stayed 3 nights in the club level. We haven't stayed in a non-club level room so I can't compare. This visit was flawless. Valet and bell staff remembered us from last year. Tim, the manager, also remembered us and honored our request to be on the 12th floor and near an elevator. There are new club lounge attendents from our visit last year....Doug, Angela and Molly. Wow. These folks work tirelessly to accomodate your every need. They are always on the move and we've never felt more spoiled. Doug has worked in the Ritz family going on 27 years! I can't begin to tell you the special touches we encountered...for instance, while riding in the elevator a staff member asked if we were having a nice stay. I told her it was exceptional and how thrilled we were that Bvlgari products were brought back (at this time only club level receives these upgraded bath products) as last year's stay they had phased them out. I gushed how much I LOVE the line and she laughed as she could smell the lotion in the elevator! Upon returning to our room later, we found a small bag of a few extra Bvlgari products and a hand written note from Kisha - the staff member we had encountered in the elevator! The fact that she took the time to 1) find out who we were 2) write a lovely note and 3) leave a few extra of my most favorite bath products ....is an example of the amazing steps this staff will take to make you feel welcome. Additionally, our club attendent Doug (have I mentioned FABULOUS?) introduced us to his fiance, Karen, who also works at the Ritz in member services for the destination club. Although not her role, she went out of her way to make us feel special as well. In a nutshell - this place is amazing. Ritz Carltons worldwide have the plush bedding, amazing ambience and luxurious amenities and Denver Ritz Carlton is no different. What we love about this specific Ritz Carlton above all others is the staff....they truly make a difference in our stay. From Reggie the bellman, to Mark at guest relations to management with Tim - and all the smiling faces in between - they will make your stay incredible. If you plan on staying in the downtown Denver hotel - don't look elsewhere. We've stayed at them all; Hotel Monaco, Magnolia, Brown, Hyatt, etc., etc. - spend a bit more and experience amazing luxury at the Denver Ritz Carlton!!!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Ottawa
Reviewed March 22, 2011

We stayed here for 1 night before travelling on to Steamboat Springs for a ski trip. It's a beautiful hotel and the rooms are really big. The bathroom was huge. We had breakfast at the restaurant which was very good too. Everyone at the hotel was very helpful and the service was excellent. We booked a package which included parking and breakfast and it's actually less expensive to take the package than it would be to pay for parking and breakfast separately. It's within walking distance of Larimer Square and 16th Street Mall which was perfect for us as these were two areas we wanted to explore. We would definitely stay here again and may book it again for 1 night before flying home.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed March 22, 2011

Quick overnight stay to celebrate an event. Stayed in a King Deluxe room that was very nice (10th floor), good view, and great bed - only minor complaint was room on smaller side. Ate at Elway's restaurant in the hotel - very friendly staff, good food - a bit loud but it was Saturday night. 2 blocks to the 16th Street Mall, beautiful night to walk around, plenty of night life, looking for a more upscale nightclub (piano bar) and did not locate. Overall terrific stay, just wished the room would have been a bit larger.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple