“A Traditional French Bistro”
Review of Cafe Marmotte

Cafe Marmotte
Reserve a Table
Tue, 5/21
8:00 PM
Ranked #181 of 3,553 Restaurants in Denver
Description: Cafe Marmotte proudly serves contemporary French cuisine in an intimate location close to Washington Park in Denver. Cafe Marmotte prepares the freshest of ingredients with the classic techniques to create our signature cuisine.
Reviewed February 13, 2019

The atmosphere is cozy and nice. The food is very good; the traditional escargot is excellent. The wine list is varied and reasonably priced. If you want a French bistro experience in a quiet neighborhood, this is the place for you.

Date of visit: January 2019

Reviewed January 29, 2019

This is a charming and exquisite restaurant. Food and service are excellent. A lovely setting and one we would recommend to several friends (and we have!). Delicious food and wine selection.

Date of visit: December 2018
Reviewed January 11, 2019 via mobile

While my wife had been here before and loved it, it was my first time. It was one of the best meals in months!! The food was creative and awesome! The waiter Matt was exceptional, friendly and attentive. We weren’t sure about which wine to choose, and he didn’t hesitate to bring us some samples so we could decide. Bravo! The Filet special was excellent, and the lobster and crab special also went very quickly! The lobster bisque soup had chunks of lobster and was just the right size before the main course.

I was a little worried it would be loud with the traffic outside, but the place is soundproof! The seating is spacious and setting is quaint.

Don’t forget to end the evening with the Beignets!! Wonderful!!

Date of visit: January 2019
1  Thank 82SteveS
Reviewed January 3, 2019

I have had the pleasure of eating here several times for business and personal. The food at this lovely restaurant rivals any French restaurant I have eaten at. The personal and intimate setting only adds to the overall experience. The seafood is fresh and you really have to try the Octopus appetizer it is amazing. I had a friend from Greece with me and she couldn't believe how good it was. The wine list is excellent and the service is attentive without being overbearing.

Date of visit: September 2018
1  Thank tucker0210
Reviewed December 24, 2018

The "Groundhog" (English for "Marmotte") was clearly still hibernating when we visited Cafe Marmotte. I had high hopes when we first stepped in. The place looked cozy and inviting, with the white linens and little candles on each table. I had certain expectations based on the raving reviews and the fact that this restaurant was supposed to be authentically French, Fancy and Pricey.
My husband and I always go out together on Christmas Eve eve, whether for a nice lunch or dinner, and we were excited to try something new. We had never heard of Cafe Marmotte, and found out about it reading the Denver Post last week. Once I looked at their menu and the reviews on line, I decided to surprise my husband and made reservations.
Because the restaurant itself only has a dozen tables, the wait people do it all. There is no host / hostess, sommelier, or waiter / waitress for each table. I think there were 3 servers that night greeting you at the door, taking orders, mixing drinks, and running food from the kitchen. Our waitress was attentive and sweet, and tried very hard to "fix" my lavendar cocktail by offering me more lavendar and even more simple syrup to mix in to it. It was truly terrible. No taste of lavendar, bitter and blah. My husband's "La Lumière" drink wasn't much better. They really need a person behind the bar who knows what they are doing. They shouldn't be offering artisanal cocktails that sound lovely and taste terrible. Thankfully, my (French) husband knew what to order from the wine list and we had a nice bottle of Bordeaux. My husband, who is loathe to ever make anyone feel uncomfortable or criticize anything, raved over the escargots (the sauce was good!), and I somehow got through my caramelized goat and onion tart with carrot sauce. I would say it was more like a quiche than a French tart. The onions were NOT caramelized and the entire concoction was under seasoned and lukewarm. Truly a fail. I ate it because I was starving and looking for that redemptive bite that never came. Backtrack to the bread basket. Come on people, even the bread wasn't French! Order some from Trompeau Bakery! It was crusty from being reheated from frozen, and the butter.... Why??? Why would you serve that whipped butter mess in a fancy French restaurant??? Give me some good bread and butter or go home!!! The "herbed" butter was (finally) where I tasted the lavender... though they must have mixed in some honey as well, because it tasted a bit sweet. Another note: Our candle kept going out, and the glass holding the candle was chipped. Also, note to cleaning staff: Yes, wiping down the wash basin and toilet is important, but don't forget to clean the areas around them too! There was only one towel left for me to use in the bathroom. Disappointed when it came to cleanliness. And there was no clear path to the restrooms as the tables were so close together that one had to squeeze around the other guests and chairs. Back to the food: My husband had the veal for the entree and enjoyed it and the "au jus." The mashed potatoes were lackluster and under-seasoned. The grilled asparagus was tasty. I had the mushroom ravioli. The ravioli itself was good, but it was served with far too many diced beets on top of it and far too few of the described "with pine nuts." I only found a few pieces swimming around in the sauce. There was supposed to be Parmesan cheese on it too, but I didn't taste it and they didn't offer any to me when they brought out the plate, which I found odd. We did have to ask for salt and pepper. For dessert, upon the waitress's recommendation, we tried the Whiskey Caramel Cake, and did enjoy that... A little more of that yummy caramel sauce would have been lovely. All in all, an OK meal, but certainly not worth the $$$ price tag. We had a nice time because we enjoy each other's company. Had we been there solely for the food, we would have been incredibly disappointed. Cafe Marmotte, we won't be back. Désolée!

Date of visit: December 2018