“My Doubletree Nightmare”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Orange, California
“My Doubletree Nightmare”
Reviewed August 19, 2012

In their defense, I did not choose to stay here. I booked a hotel and car, using American Airlines Advantage miles through AA Vacations. I was moving my daughter to Boulder and the closest hotel available with miles was in Westminster (about 14 miles from Boulder) - it was a Doubletree. After a long day of moving, I went to check in (I had the address of the hotel and map from my original booking on AA Travel) and they couldn't find my reservation. The reception clerk told me I was at the wrong hotel and began showing me on a map, directions back towards the airport ("about a 25 minute drive"). They told me there was nothing they could do and "can I help you with anything else"? I asked them to call the other hotel and transfer my reservation - I did not book it there and had never seen the "Quebec Street" address. They called, Quebec refused. They offered me a cookie and water. I phoned AA Travel and they said it was prepaid and needed 48 hours notice to change it. Great. So, I sucked it up and drove back to Denver to this Doubletree and explained my EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING day to the pleasant gal at checkin. She offered me a cookie too. She was nice, apologetic and then proceeded to give me THE ABSOLUTE CRAPPIEST ROOM in the hotel - second floor - looking at the back of the sign and all of the HVAC equipment and vents. I was so exhausted I decided just to deal with it. THEN I went to use the bathroom ... when I tried to open the door to get out, it was warped on the top AND I COULDN'T OPEN IT FOR OVER 10 MINUTES. I yanked and pulled, but it was stuck in the upper left corner. I didn't have my phone with me either. At this point I finally lost it and burst into tears. I took my suitcase and room keys back to the same gal at the counter - repeated all of the crap that had happened that day and said "I am out of here". I never once lost my temper, did not yell, was not disrespectful, I was sad and frustrated ... this girl didn't do anything except make a very poor choice in giving me such a crappy room. However, she did not offer me a different room, did not offer to get a manager, did not offer to call American Airlines ... I think she did offer me another cookie though. The cookies were good. No one made any attempt at either Doubletree Hotel to try to help me. I did call American Airlines again and when I told the gal about the wrong hotel, the crappy room, locked in the bathroom, her response was "Really? That's a 4 star hotel. I'm surprised you didn't like it." So, bottom line, this is not just about the Doubletree hotel "Quebec Street",Denver, it is also about Doubletree "Westminster",Denver and American Airlines Vacations. Beware when you book using miles, you may end up being sent to a different hotel than you thought and you just might get the crappiest room and a hotel staff that really doesn't give a rip. I've always like Doubletree, but I will never stay in another one again. And, no wonder AA is about to go belly up.

Room Tip: Sorry, I don't have anything good to say - just refuse a room on the 2nd floor unless you want a...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Newportbeachmom
Allen_Paty, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Denver, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Dear Newport Beach Mom -

I had hoped to chat with you about your poor stay in Denver and hope to still touch base in the near future. Your trip seemed to be a "perfect storm" of mischance on several fronts and I truly regret our part in your day. We take pride in being the one thing our guests can count on in a hectic day so I sincerely apologize. Please be assured I have worked with our Director of Engineering extensively on the sticking-door issue. As well, we are in the process of renovating our guest rooms but due to the busy summer months, the project is on hold for a few more weeks. I realize our DoubleTree is a little out of your way for your visits to Colorado, but I would be delighted to demonstrate to you the true hospitality and excellent lodging we offer. Please let me know if I can be of any assistance on your next trip to Denver.

Allen Paty, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
  • Polish first
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We were expecting more from this hotel. The front desk failed to give us the breakfast passes when we checked in, so we had to get them in the morning when we were all hungry. The walls in our room were paper thin and we could hear the guests' television on all night. The restaurant was not kept very clean. The floors were sticky in front of the bread station and we had a terrible waiter the first and third days. The waitress on the second day was good, but she wasn't available on the third day. The hallway light in our room was out, and the bathroom door got stuck. And there were no shower caps in the bathroom. We will not go back to this hotel and we definitely don't recommend it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank cadenza62
Allen_Paty, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Denver, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
Dear Canela62 -

On behalf of the staff and management, I sincerely apologize for the poor experience you had with us. We take pride in providing the best in lodging and service so our lapses during your visit are being taken very seriously. Please be assured I am speaking to the managers of those areas to fix these issues immediately and to ensure they don’t recur. I would be delighted to speak with you directly if you would like to call or email me at (303) 329-5200 or allen.paty@hilton.com. Our goal is to Make It Right with every guest every time.

South Carolina
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Everything was great - front desk, housekeeping, room service, restaurant, etc. The housekeeping staff knew me by name on the second day and if they saw me later in the day asked me if everything was acceptable.

Suite 940 is about the size of a small country...it would be excellent for a large family rather than getting two or three rooms. The shuttles to local shopping and dining are awesome as well as the airport shuttle.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank ChrisInSC
Allen_Paty, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Denver, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Dear Chris -

I was delighted to read your great review of the DoubleTree by Hilton Denver! We are especially proud of our friendly staff and inviting hotel rooms as well as the complimentary shuttle service to DIA and Northfield Shopping. I will certainly pass along your comments to our housekeepers on the 9th floor - they're among our longest-term staff and enjoy welcoming our guests as family. I hope you visit us again soon.

Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed August 7, 2012

We chose this hotel for it's proximity to the airport since we were leaving the next day. It's about a 20 minute drive to the airport and they do offer a free hotel shuttle. We had a rental car so the free parking was a plus. The hotel location is a good middle point, between downtown and the airport. The Denver Zoo and nature museum are close by. There is a shopping area across the street that offers the usual fair; Panera, Chili's, Starbucks, Noodles and Co., Walgreens, etc.
Our room was a bit dated and worn but clean. Beds were comfortable. A/C unit was a bit noisy and air blew onto the bed, causing a constant breeze. This is a big, 1980s style hotel on a strip with other old hotels in this area of town. It could use a makeover, but, it still had all the amenities a traveler would need. The indoor pool area is quite large, and outside there is a large patio with hot tub. The hotel lobby has a bar, restaurant, Starbucks and an Avis car rental desk.

Buffet breakfast in the restaurant was okay. Maybe ordering off the menu would be better. The staff at the hotel were very friendly, and quick to help with directions or suggestions for food or entertainment. There is a concierge. Wall St. Journals are available in the lobby.

Over all this hotel is a good value and should be considered if you are looking for a clean room near the airport and zoo.

Room Tip: This is a very large hotel, so if you don't want to walk very far ask for a room near the elevat...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mbh-travels
Dear Visitor From Virginia -

Thank you for your review following your stay with us at the DoubleTree by Hilton Denver. I was pleased, that in spite of your short stay, you were able to take advantage of the close-by sights Denver has to offer as well as our immediate neighborhood's offerings. We are a great choice as a base to visit Denver and the Rocky Mountains with everything the business or leisure traveller needs right at your fingertips. While we hold off on major renovation projects during the busy summer months, we are in the planning stages for several renovation projects starting in just a few months so I hope you come back to see our improvements. On your next trip to Denver, let us welcome you with our friendly staff and warm chocolate chip cookie!

Overland Park, Kansas
Reviewed August 4, 2012 via mobile

Had a very enjoyable three night stay for a business meeting at this Doubletree. Thought the service everywhere was vey good. That included the front desk, restaurant, and housekeeping. The rooms appeared to be recently updated but the rest of the hotel was dated. But not to the point that it was much of a big deal. Parking can get a little squeezed as the night goes on so be wary of the fact that you'll likely be forced to the back of the hotel on level one or two. Again, not that big of a deal. Just a minor inconvenience. The fitness facility could stand some improvement.

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank MattArmb9
Allen_Paty, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Denver, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
Dear MattArmb9 -

I appreciate your review of the DoubleTree by Hilton Denver and your feedback. Hearing from our guests is how we make the all-important decisions on improvements from year to year. Updating is most certainly in progress but we tend to hold off on our biggest projects when it's busy in the hotel - so the fitness center and various other areas are in the planning stages as we speak. I was pleased you enjoyed the warm hospitality from our staff - one of the hallmarks of DoubleTree by Hilton and our property in Denver. I hope we see you again soon on your travels - whether business or pleasure.

Canada
Reviewed July 31, 2012

This was a pleasant enough place to spend a night before our morning flight home. Having an Avis rental car counter right in the hotel made it super-easy to return our car, and we simply took the airport shuttle the next day.

We had been given a mountain-view room, and the view would have been nice if the windows were clean. It may sound picky, but if a hotel advertises a room as having a view but the windows are dirty, it's a turnoff. Our other negative experience was the food. We chose to eat at the hotel for dinner because it was convenient, and it was easily the worst hotel food we've eaten in a long time. I generally have low expectations for hotel food, and I really don't mind bland, but both of the entrees we ordered at the Cafe were unpleasant.

I wouldn't say we made a mistake in staying here because of the proximity to the airport and the ease of returning the rental car, but I'd advise you to limit your stay to one night and to eat elsewhere.

Room Tip: Mountain view rooms are not worth requesting because of the dirty windows.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Allen_Paty, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Denver, responded to this review, August 3, 2012
Dear Canadian Guest -

Thank you for your review following your stay with us. I always appreciate getting feedback from our guests, especially when there are areas my management team and I need to address. I apologize for the poor experience you had and want to assure you we are discussing the items you mentioned. On the other hand, I'm glad to hear you were able to take advantage of our complimentary airport shuttle service - the most extensive in the city - and the convenience of the Avis car rental on site. The DoubleTree by Hilton Denver is centrally located to Downtown Denver, Cherry Creek and Northfield shopping areas, and makes an ideal base for day trips to the Rocky Mountains. I hope you will come back for a longer visit and give us a chance to prove our commitment to providing the best in lodging and service.

Vermillion, South Dakota
Reviewed July 29, 2012

I enjoyed my 4 night stay here. Upon arrival the young lady at the front desk was friendly and helpful. The room was clean upon arrival, and tended to nicely each morning. The hotel was near the location of my seminar, very convenient. I did not have an opportunity to swim, but the hotel offered a nice sized pool and hot tub. Also, a decent sized shopping area with multiple dining options was right across the street. I did not utilize the shuttle, but saw that many guests did.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank JDS09
Allen_Paty, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Denver, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Dear South Dakota Visitor -

Thank you so much for your positive review following your stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton Denver. We take pride in providing friendly, comfortable surroundings so our guests are free to focus on their business in Denver. I hope you'll come back soon for pleasure this time and enjoy the many attractions close by. As you noted, we have a very busy hotel shuttle operation - the largest in the area - and provide free shuttle service to and from the Denver International Airport in the event your next visit is by air. We look forward to being your lodging base in Denver again in the near future!

Allen, Paty, General Manager