“Excellent Value, Friendly Service, Good Location”

Ramada Denver Downtown
Ranked #106 of 157 Hotels in Denver
Hartford, Connecticut
“Excellent Value, Friendly Service, Good Location”
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Before booking this property I read many negative comments on Trip Advisor about this property and was a bit apprehensive. But I decided that I was going to try it anyway. In checking rates in the area, I could not find reasonable accommodations under $125.00 a night.

I stayed at this property for three nights, Wed-Sat. It's located 3 miles from the Colorado Convention Center, which was where I was attending a conference. The hotel looked to be built in the mid 80's. The lobby was very spacious, offering many seating options and a large flat screen TV. Ample brochures on tourist attractions were available, something I always like to check out. The tile floor and cowboy themed pictures and lighting fixtures gave the place a bit of a rustic feeling. There is an outdoor courtyard offering a pool and hot tub. It was landscaped very nice.

I was checked in by a very informative man. My reservation was in order and I proceeded to my room at about midnight. For $79.00 a night I had the largest room I have had in recent memory. It was absolutely wonderful. The king size bed had wonderful, comfortable & clean linens. The furnishings were nice and the room well lit. The A/C was a window style unit and I did notice that when in the bathroom, the cooling effect of the unit was not as what it should be, however it was not awful. I would recommend that the window unit itself needs to be upgraded to a much larger BTU unit for proper cooling. There was a refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker also in the room and all in working condition. The room itself, as are the hotel hallways, are a bit dated. Dark colored chair rails, some nicks in the paint etc.... However It did not bother me as at some point all hotels need touching up. Everything seem to be in a cowboy, mountain theme and it all worked very well considering it is Denver. The most important thing to me was that the room was CLEAN! The rug was vacuumed daily and the bathroom floor cleaned each day. I opted for fresh bed linens each day and they were changed without issue. The bathroom amenities package was absolutely wonderful! It was packed with wonderful soaps, shampoos etc... but also included a comb, shaving material and even a tooth brush and paste. The bathroom was small and crowded. The layout made it tight. Again, the age of the property showed here as newer places would have larger bathrooms. There was a shower massage shower head and the towels were fluffy and clean. A safe was available in the room and when I was checking out I noticed I was charged a dollar a day for it's use....but then on the bottom of the invoice the front desk agent had already credited the charge off my invoice. She noted that the charge is automatic during the posting process and that most of the guest ask for the credit as not many use the safe anyway, so they automatically credit the safe charge off the bill.

I did notice that the hotel was popular with young people, no doubt due to the affordable rates and also the area has many clubs and bars with live music etc... I saw a number of people with instruments in the hotel so I assumed there were preforming in the local venues.

Ample free parking was also an attractive bonus as most other hotels in Denver charge for daily parking. However there were a number of burnt out lights in the parking lot which I did bring to the attention of the front desk employees.

Across the street is a coffee house and down the road, within walking distance, is a wonderful breakfast place name Spices. Both were excellent. The location of this place is great. They have a shuttle bus where they will bring you to any place downtown and pick you up too. This saves on parking and the hassle of driving downtown.

One item not to my standards was the service in the Restaurant. I went in for breakfast one morning and waited and waited for a staff member to great me. I heard them in the back talking but no one was coming out front. After a few minutes I decided against dining at the hotel restaurant and went outside and down the street. So my recommendation is that the Restaurant either hire additional staff to ensure someone is always out front or have a bell of some sorts.

The hotel did have guest coin op laundry facilities, which was important to me as I was on a three week business trip and needed to do some laundry. The prices were most reasonable but the dryer was not working properly and did not dry all my clothing. I had to hang the clothing up in the room to air dry. Not a huge issue, but I did bring it to the desk clerks attention.

The hotel did not offer free coffee in the morning. Nowadays this is almost a given that all places will have free coffee in the lobby for the guest in the morning. So I would suggest they implement this benefit as it involves a minor cost yet is seen as a nice benefit.

I cannot say enough about this place. Yes, it is old and bit dated, but it was clean and appeared to be staffed by friendly and competent people. I would definitely recommend this Inn if you are looking for affordable accommodations in Denver. The value I received for my room was excellent. I will definitely stay here again when in the area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that the window faces the courtyard. Colfax Ave is a busy road with many local clubs...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Jim L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Korean first
Girdwood, Alaska
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Very pleased with this place. Great price, helpful front desk people, good location (there's a shuttle to the real "downtown." Good places to eat & drink nearby (Vine St. is awesome for beer). Great for the price overall.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Room was clean and comfortable. Bed was comfortable and had attractive red bedspread. A/C worked well, was in town when it was over 100 degrees, hotel was in a good location, staff friendly and helpful. We went in the swimming pool and hot tub at night and were the only ones there so it was nice to have privacy. The breakfast was good in the morning and hardly any people again. We had french toast and sausage which was very good. Good location, close to downtown.. The only complaint I have is I wanted to take a bath and the bath drain didn't work. I could have probably tried to just put a washcloth over it to stop the water but didn't. I think the shower worked fine since my cousin used it. I would stay there again and would recommend it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
München
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Thiss Hotel offers rooms in perfect value for money.
It´s ca. 10 walking minutes away from the center and scores thanks to its Western-Style.
Breakfast and dinner can be chosen in the hotel´s restaurant.
In addition, a small pool and a gym offer possibilities to work out.
Big parcs, golf courses and the zoo are close to the hotel.
Altogether, this hotel offers a nice starting point for travelers who like to see more of the city and who like to walk a little bit !

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Winchester, Virginia
Reviewed July 19, 2012

We stayed here overnight last night on family vacation and will not stay again.

In its favor, the hotel is clean and well maintained. It is in a pretty good location with interesting local restaurants nearby.

The hotel itself out of date in terms of the decor and the facilities. The restaurant is very poor with an extremely limited menu and uninspired cooking. Restaurant and hotel service were generally mediocre to poor, with one disastrous experience.

We decided to take advantage of the free shuttle service to go to the Nature & Science Museum. It departed at the arranged time. Fifteen minutes after the arranged pickup I called the hotel to be sure the shuttle was on the way and the clerk made excuses and told us to wait longer. Twenty minutes later (35 min late) I called again and pointed out that we were going to be late for an appointment and asked for clarification when we would be picked up. Again, excuses and no clarification. When I pressed the issue the clerk suggested I call a cab. I finally got her to agree to call the cab and pay for it. We then waited another 35 minutes with neither a cab nor the shuttle showing up. We then had to cancel our evening appointment and walked back to the hotel (30 - 40 min).

Not much to recommend here, unfortunately. It's a shame, as basic customer service would have made this a decent place to stay at no cost to the owners. Except, of course, the cost of putting effort into what you do.

Stayed July 2012
1 Thank WincVaLocal
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 19, 2012

My personal experience wasn't going to warrant such a negative review - although the front desk staff member (Jason, I think) does have a poor attitude towards the guests. But something I saw on my last day made me write this. I was sitting in reception waiting for my taxi to the airport, when I witnessed what was essentially an altercation between a guest and this member of staff. The guest was clearly not impressed about something, and instead of being treated with decency, as a polite customer (particularly as, from what I overheard, the guest had a point), this Jason started shouting at the guest and telling him to get lost! It really was appalling, I have never seen guests get treated so badly. Combining this with the poor state of the hotel (as others have alluded to - dirty rooms, a funny smell in the corridors), and the location (it's close to the centre of town, but getting there you have to negotiate with several shady characters) - I would conclude AVOID AVOID AVOID!! PS to the request for a plate and fork (given they offer room service), instead of explaining why he couldn't provide us with these simple items, we got told "sorry sir, that's just not how we do things here".

2 Thank Neeraj S
Paw Paw, Michigan
Reviewed July 18, 2012

We stayed here for one night... the hotel rooms were adequate for the price paid. There was a great Irish restaurant/bar across the street from the hotel. We arrived at 1:50 pm and were informed that check in was at 2pm so we would have to wait... When checking in, we were informed that they did not have our reservation that had been prepaid with travelocity... it turned out to be in another travelers name. There were many homeless people asking for money around the hotel...

Room Tip: We had a rook on the courtyard and it was quiet and good for sleeping.