“The Westin made my birthday celebration absolutely special!”

The Westin Denver Downtown
Ranked #29 of 157 Hotels in Denver
GreenLeadersBronze level
Denver, Colorado
“The Westin made my birthday celebration absolutely special!”
Reviewed February 27, 2011

From the moment we arrived to check out the following day, this gorgeous Downtown hotel exceeded our expectations! I felt like a princess in a fairy tale! A beautiful view of the city from our walk-out balcony, impeccable decor, unbelievable pristine cleanliness, friendly, polished & poised staff, a relaxing breakfast experience, service beyond compare - all made for a truly memorable birthday weekend with friends.
And, that Heavenly Bed? Yes. Yes, it was.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
Washington DC
Reviewed February 14, 2011

Location is fine, centrally located, but this large Westin is showing its age and is "nothing special", hence the poor to average rating. The room had been updated to Westin standards of about 4 to 5 yrs ago and is consequently OK, but showing its age, but the bathroom had original, aging tile at the tub. New vanity and lav, but oddly out of place in an otherwise older bathroom.

For the rate, valet parking was pretty much a mess, with overwhelmed staff, cars piling up, and a sense of disorder. I would guess this property gets by with what it has based on large group business.

The rate I paid was competitive with the Ritz and Browns Palace (OK, maybe I am a chump and paid too much), which seemingly are more updated, modern properties. Just FYI.

I am a Starwood points accumulator, hence my choice of this property, but given the Ritz and their rates, I would likely consider some refresh on my Marriott Rewards points and stay there. Sorry Westin Denver. Time to renovate and take things up a notch to stay competitive.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
ChuckShruringa, Manager at The Westin Denver Downtown, responded to this review, February 16, 2011
Dear rowingman,
Thank you for your feedback. While we did recently complete a full rooms renovation in March of 2009 I can understand your concern with the overall impression with the bathroom fixtures. Without knowing which room you specifically stayed in I cannot comment on the condition, but I have asked our Director of Engineering and Director of Housekeeping to increase their vigilance and focus on the condition of our bathroom tile. We will certainly keep your comments in mind for future renovations. Please feel free to contact me personally if you wish to discuss this subject further or have additional insights. Thank you again and I am truly sorry you did not enjoy your experience at our hotel,
Chuck Schuringa
Director of Operations, Westin Denver Downtown
chuck.schuringa@westin.com
Reviewed January 15, 2011

Biggest complaint is paying for wifi and not able to use it the hotel. Spotty and no access in the breakfast area.
Guestroom bathrooms are weak, need some punch to meet min westin experience guest expect.

Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank califp
Dear califp,
I appreciate and thank you for your feedback from your recent stay at our property. While I understand that you feel that wireless internet should be free to all guests, we remain within Westin guidelines in charging for this service. Wireless internet is complimentary throughout our Lobby and Entry Level common areas but not in our meeting space or guest rooms. Not knowing your specific situation, we do attempt to respond to all concerns regarding internet service and provide technical support to those who require it whilst they are on property. I am very sorry that this did not happen in your case. Please feel free to contact me personally should you wish to interact with me so that I might better resolve this issue.
Chuck Schuringa, Director of Operations, Westin Denver Downtown
chuck.schuringa@westin.com
Tempe
Reviewed January 8, 2011

The Westin downtown is an average hotel for the business traveler. The rooms are large and clean, and the bed is comfortable. However, the hotel's other amenities are lacking. Breakfast: coffee was cold and OJ was not fresh. Breakfast lounge seemed understaffed. The tables were not dining tables, more like oversize exhibitor tables. The breakfast space did not feel warm and welcoming. We stayed on 7th floor and the hallways smelled like food - maybe this was a function of 7th floor being one of the first floors with rooms. There is a seemingly temporary ice skating rink outside of our window, on the Palm Restaurant side of the hotel and the rink proprietors play extremely loud pop music. Even though the music stops before it is too late, it is loud enough to interfere with our restful time, work or conversation while in the room. The front desk staff seem nice. The hotel's common areas need some more personality - it is extremely generic. Also, hotel parking is very expensive for Denver, in my opinion. Downtown Denver is not really a happening place.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
nyc2hawaii
Reviewed January 4, 2011

If you're in Denver to have fun this is the PERFECT location!! Right on the best part of the 16th Street Mall in LoDo you are within walking distance to tons of restaurants, bars, shopping, etc. We almost stayed at the other end, but so glad we chose here instead - much better part of town. Would go back!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Hillsboro, Oregon
Reviewed December 27, 2010

Spiffy and clean as you'd expect a Westin to be. Right on the 16th street walking mall, loads of walk-to shopping and restaurants. Awesome roof deck pool with a great view, but the hot tub should be...hotter! Fitness facility is decent sized with real cardio machines and nice weight equiment.

The lobby level lounge is a great place to chill with family and friends. Andrea was incredibly gracious with our group!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed December 21, 2010

My stay at the Westin was absolutely wonderful from Check in to Check out. The front desk staff is very pleasant and full of smiles. My room, which was very spacious for being downtown overlooked Union Station and was phenomenal at night. I moved away from downtown several years ago and miss the great views of the mountains and attractions that my room afforded. The door staff was very courteous and helped me with a taxi.. My room was very clean and airy and I appreciate the "green choices" the Westin is making. I love that Heavenly bed!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends