“Great Property - Very Few Problems”

The Westin Denver Downtown
Ranked #29 of 157 Hotels in Denver
GreenLeadersBronze level
Huntington, West Virginia
“Great Property - Very Few Problems”
Reviewed May 19, 2007

I stayed at the Westin Tabor Center for three nights as part of a corporate meeting. The hotel was selected and arranged by corporate travel. Documents indicated that the room rate was $119 per night for a king room, but this may have been a special rate given the number of rooms purchased.

The property is located in a clean, safe area of Denver. It is located within easy walking distance to many restaurants and attractions. The exterior is well maintained and appears secure.

The lobby is a little complicated. It is a two-story affair with the main entrance and a Starbucks on the ground floor with the check-in area; concierge etc. located one level up.

Check-in was flawless with everything ready upon my arrival. A bellman was happy to move luggage to the room where it was waiting following check-in.

The property has obviously been remodeled and has a modern, attractive interior. The hallways are a little dark, but are easy to navigate. The room was spacious with a king bed, sitting area, work desk, wet bar and large bathroom. The room was well stocked. All room lights, and appliances worked well. Close attention had been paid to cleanliness as the room was, and continued to be, spotless.

Bedding was typical for the Westin chain but I found the mattress to be too firm for my liking. The bathroom has received the upgraded dual showerhead feature, which was a nice touch.

I did experience intermittent problems with the hotel’s internet system. For $11 per day on top of room charges, I expect better. In a great customer service “save”, the front desk assisted me in contacting the Help Desk. While helpful (and obviously not in New Delhi), they were unable to correct the issue. I promptly received a full credit for the length of stay. This being said, internet service at this level of property should be included. If the Holiday Inn Express can do it, surely Westin can.

Food service for our entire meeting was above par for this level of property. I was pleased with the service, selection and quality of each meal. I must assume that the hotel restaurant offers the same.

Check-out took thirty seconds and was just as organized as the check-in process. This area of the hotel is staffed with friendly, competent employees.

This is a quality property in great town. I would recommend it.

• Liked — Room cleanliness.
  • Disliked — Poor internet service and pricing.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank cburley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
MD
Reviewed May 9, 2007

I stayed at the Westin Tabor Center for one night on a business trip and was not impressed. I'm pretty sure this is the worst Westin I've ever stayed at.

The employee at check-in was neither personable or helpful. She took about 15 minutes to check me in which should really only take up to 5 minutes. She also didn't have anywhere to recommend for dinner. I don't know if I got stuck with a room that has yet to be renovated or if they just did a shabby job at renovating my room. There were stains on the furniture and all sorts of hair on the bed when I arrived. The hair was definitely not my own! There was trash throughout the room that was presumably left by the person(s) who stayed in the room before me which housekeeping overlooked before I arrived. It is not very welcoming to arrive in a hotel room that is more or less dirty. My coworker also stayed at the hotel and that room was cleaner and nicer than mine.

On the plus side the room was spacious as was the bathroom. The hotel is situated downtown near restaurants and shopping. There were lots of dining options. I was at the hotel for less than 12 hours so I didn't experience the rest of the hotel. This hotel really made me not want to return to another Westin for a while.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — My room was dirty!
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
4 Thank ATR25
New York City
Reviewed April 22, 2007

Here for a conference. Very bad room service food and extraordinarily overpriced. Slow "high speed" internet and a charge of $11 for 24 hours. Most hotels have free wireless anymore, so why are they so out of touch? Told me there were no alternatives to a taxi for a late night trip to the airport , which was incorrect. There is a super shuttle for 1/3 of the price. The heavenly beds seem to be a thing of the past. Mattress is hard. No thanks.

• Liked — big room
  • Disliked — internet,
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank UWSall
Lafayette, Colorado
Reviewed January 28, 2007

Stayed with a friend on a Friday night. Lobby is a little empty with just a Starbucks and then an escalator up to check in.
Rooms are very comfortable with nice bedding if a little firm. Double headed bathroom shower and curved curtain rod is a nice touch but a little in need of upgrade and maintenance. Amenities and towels all very nice, lovely ice bucket and wine glasses and nice flat screen T.V.
The Palms restaurant is FABULOUS if a little pricey, but atmosphere was laid back and service and food was first class!
Great location next to the 16th Street Mall and ESPN fun center.

Stayed January 2007
2 Thank Scotty-TA
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed October 12, 2006

I stayed at the Westin over Labor Day and I LOVE Westins however the hallways were a little worn out considering it was "just remodeled". The rooms were comfortable and we were woken up in the middle of the night, early morning from some loud guests. We called immediately and the situation was taken care of in minutes. The waitress in the restaurant was HORRIBLE, not customer service I expect at Westin considering you pay $50-60 for breakfast. Great food and generally great service. AWESOME location to LODO and all the shopping, drinking and eating establishments. This is definately where you want to stay. The Palms is good and a fav of a friend that lives there but I thought so-so for the price. Overall great hotel in a great spot!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — don't eat in the restaurant.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
5 Thank sparky1978
Overland Park, Kansas
Reviewed October 8, 2006

The rates are high, and then they charge you extra for high speed. The rooms are nice, but they should be. The front desk is efficient, but it should be. They are living off the Westin name, but not doing any thing to justify it.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
2 Thank Bill F
cleveland, oh
Reviewed October 7, 2006

Stayed at the Westin for the annual conference and the hotel showed its worst when it had to do with our personal needs and very good when it had to show its quality vis-a-vis conference attendees. I would not recommend this property as there are too many attributes that simply make Westin in Denver a non-heavenly experience. To start with, bookings were all messed up and I did not get a room I booked. I supposedly got upgraded but I am already a preferred Starwood member so it was not much my wife and I got for having to sleep in two beds (my king bed reservation was not honored). It took 3 phone calls and 25 hours to have the safe in the room fixed. The hotel dry cleaned my jeans (and ironed them) contrary to my written cold wash only laundry request - and then I had to ask them to remove the charge after they said they would and did not do so. I had two bills on the checkout and had to call to have it rectified so that I could check out. The maid took unread publications and threw them away and the the porter upon our arrival had no interest in helping us check in. Even though the outside temperature was 79 the pool was not clean not warmed so that we could use it. So on a personal note this is an F.

On a corporate note the conference was great and the hotel was very accomodating and addressed my dietary needs (vegetarian).

I guess the above pushes the great to F+/D- still - a kind of grade that makes you want to book another property next time I am in Denver.

• Liked — Room on the 17th floor was great!
  • Disliked — Service
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't be overly optimistic