“Not up to par - nickel & diming”

The Westin Denver Downtown
Ranked #28 of 157 Hotels in Denver
GreenLeadersBronze level
Chicago, Illinois
“Not up to par - nickel & diming”
Reviewed September 22, 2006

I've stayed at the Westin Tabor Center for business a handful of times, and I can honestly say I would never stay there by personal choice.

I will start with the pluses:
-Very friendly and capable desk staff
-Nice lobby
-Most beds are comfortable
-Great showerheads

Now the minuses:

-The Westin will nickel and dime you at every opportunity. Want internet in your room? That will be another $10.60 a day. Even a Holiday Inn Express will give you free wireless! Room service prices are extortionate-around $18 for eggs and a side, and there is no continental breakfast provided by the hotel. Bottled water-usually provided complimentary at a hotel of this class-will run you $4.

-The airport shuttle they advertise is just a run-down SuperShuttle that you will be paying for (if it even shows up).

-Interior decor outside of the lobby is poor. Wallpaper in the hallways is covered with nicks and scrapes. The color scheme throughout the hotel is a dull brown/beige which is very unappealing.

-Every time I've been there, the service carts have just been left sitting in the hallways. Unattractive and a hassle if you are trying to squeeze by with rolling luggage.

-Stocking of the rooms is poor. Each time I've stayed there, a different thing has been missing from my room (bath towels, robe, soap, the "heavenly" mattress top).

-The last time I was there, the cable TV was down for the entire hotel. No apology from the desk and certainly no rate concession.

The bottom line:
The desk clerks will treat you very well, but that is the only thing that is "four star" about this hotel. I don't see any way they can justify $280 a night (realistically more like $290-320 after you get internet and other services).

Stayed August 2006
5 Thank CoachZ

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed August 7, 2006

What can one say about a Westin? Every Westin I have ever stayed has been great. Clean room, very friendly and efficient front desk, always called me by name when I dealt with them. Very spacious lobby. The only reason I am not giving this an excellent mark is due to the door/doors to the room. The door was very heavy, hard to close and all doors when closed by guests were noisey. You could hear a guest clossing the door, rooms away as they slammed the door closed. I tried closing mine very quitely but due to the heaviness of the door it was still noisey. This seems to be a problem with most hotels, and it is usually the guest that creates the problem by forgetting that they are not at home. A little more courtesy by hotel guests would be much appreciated.

6 Thank yvr1
Chicago, IL
Reviewed July 26, 2006

Stayed one night in July after a backpacking trip.

Overall an excellent property. Very clean, bed was super-comfy, room was spacious and pleasant. Bathrooms and products therein very good. Staff were friendly and accomodating.

The price was a bit high I thought, and the doors could use a bit more soundproofing (or maybe just fit better). But those are my only complaints, and neither are big ones.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
2 Thank Migizi
Grand Junction, Colorado
Reviewed June 27, 2006

Thank You SO SO much. We were scheduled to stay at the Warwick which is a nightmare. We left and went directly to the Westin and were treated like royalty. Marianna at the front desk was our angel. We were booked immediately without any hassels. The rooms which we have stayed at before were still wonderful and the service is beyond what you would expect. I will always stay at a Westin no matter where we are. Again I thank you and the staff for a great save to our vacation.

Stayed June 2006
5 Thank GJNative
Rochester, NY
Reviewed May 1, 2006

My wife and I stayed at the Westin Tabor Center for 3 nights at the end of April, 2006. The hotel is in a great location in downtown Denver on the 16th street mall, which is a pedestrian street lined with shops and restaurants. It is also adjacent to LoDo, the cool district of Denver with many good places to eat. Also within a block are Writer's Square and Larimer Square, which is the super-trendy block of yet more shops and restaurants. Coors Field (baseball), Invesco Field at Mile High (football), and the Pepsi Center (hockey and basketball) are also within walking distance. Our room had the Heavenly Bed and Heavenly Bath, which meant a fluffy duvet and pillows on the bed and a good shower with 2 heads that had good pressure. The towels were touted as Heavenly, and I found them to be pretty good as far as hotel towels are concerned. The room was clean and updated, and I felt comfortable there. The room was quiet too, which I appreciated because I am a light sleeper. We only split an order of chicken fingers and fries from room service, so while that was good, I can't comment on the dining choices at the Westin. Also, this was the second time we stayed there, and both times visiting NBA teams were staying in the hotel (for what that is worth). In short, the Westin Tabor Center is a great choice when visiting Denver, and we'll stay there if we return to Denver.

• Stayed April 2006
14 Thank CosmoC
North Carolina
Reviewed April 12, 2006

I stayed in this hotel recently for a convention. I stay in Westin's frequently and have always enjoyed them. This hotel is not up to the chain's standards (and is not even close to the level of a W).

Good items first - the location is great. The food was fine and the staff overall was very pleasant. The meeting rooms are excellent.

There is tons to do nearby. I wish I had had more time to walk around the 16th street mall.

The major issue has been alluded to in these posts before - the hotel does not consistently use "heavenly" products. In my room one of the 3 towels was a heavenly product. The mattress on the bed was not - it really was amazingly hard as several other posts have indicated. I asked the maid and she confirmed that "real" westin products were in short supply at the hotel and other items were being used. Very disappointing.

The rooms are also not that clean. Mine was well decorated in "Hello Kitty" stickers from a previous guest. The outdoor pool (which I had looked forward to) was too disgusting to even consider swimming.

I did speak to the front desk folks about this and got a blank stare. They appeared to have not been trained at all.

I am going to another meeting at this hotel in a few months. I plan to stay at another hotel and take a cab over. Others from my group are planning to do the same.

Properly managed, this could be a nice hotel. The core facility and location are excellent.

But right now - you can get more for your money.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business
7 Thank JD_Traveler
Hermosa Beach
Reviewed April 12, 2006

Stayed for just one night in March, the hotel was very nice and clean, the staff very friendly. All linens very clean and bed was comfy. Location was great, an easy walk to the Pepsi Center (10-15 minutes). Hotel has inside walkway to small shopping center with ESPN Zone, Cheesecake Factory, and a couple bars it was nice to be able to walk over without going out into the cold. Service at front desk very friendly, concierge was helpful with map; housekeeping was prompt with extra towel request. Also, I had left some personal belongings in the room – I called when I returned home, all items where found and mailed to me the following week! Would stay again next trip to Denver.

• Stayed March 2006