“Amazing location & Great staff”

The Westin Denver Downtown
Ranked #29 of 159 Hotels in Denver
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 2, 2009

I checked into the hotel under a corporate rate on a Thursday afternoon. Check-in was smooth and the staff was very, very friendly.

I was on the 18th floor which is their Starwood Preferred Guest floor. Not sure if the rooms are any different though. The room was spacious enough, clean and had excellent views. They have flat panel TV's which swivel wherever necessary. The chair at the desk is NOT comfortable. First, no arms which I personally hate and then if you leaned back you felt like you would tip over. The bathroom was clean and spacious. Not the largest Westin bathroom I had ever encountered but still a good size.

The hotel's location is one of it's best features. You can walk to Coors Field, down to Market & 16th, up to the Capital area, etc. Down by the Capital Grille there are great independent restaurant with outdoor seating and with the temperature in the 60's on the day I arrived I took full advantage of this.

The fitness center has a few elliptical machines and 3x as many treadmills. They also have some nautilus machines and a full set of free weights. Plenty for a hotel gym. There is also a 1/2 court basketball court off the fitness center which was great. The pool is an indoor/outdoor pool separated by a "car wash" (plastic strands dangling like you see in a car wash). There is also an outdoor whirlpool and a very, very large space outdoors which I assume are filled with chairs and chase lounges during the summer.

With so many great food options in the area I didn't eat one thing in the restaurants but there is a bar/restaurant on the 1st floor, ESPN Zone attached off the same floor, and a Palm restaurant on the lower lobby level where there is also a Starbucks.

Valet parking is $26/night during the week and $23/night on the weekends and provides in-and-out privileges. The self-park was $17 but with the need for my car a couple of times per day I went with the valet.

Every staff member I encountered was overly friendly and had I needed their service I got the impression I would have been more than satisfied.

On my next trip to Denver I wouldn't think once about staying anywhere else than the Westin Tabor!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed January 24, 2009

Getting to this hotel is tough. The parking garage is very unsual and narrow so it is not easy to find the Westin spots. The hotel itself is modern and a little funky with great views of downtown. The halls are very dark.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled on business
Reviewed January 21, 2009

Great place for a fun overnight. The rooms are big, the roof top pool is awesome, and the service was excellent when we had several requests for knives and bottle openers to make our wine and chees girls night complete! Hint to concierge though - don't tell your guests there "is no such place" when asked about a bar only two blocks from your hotel!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 3, 2008

I stayed for one night at the Westin Tabor Center in Denver for business. We got in late and the front desk was nice and efficient. I was acknowledged as a a gold SPG member, no mention of an upgrade but I had a lovely room. Corner room with a beautiful view of downtown Denver. Bed was comfortable, and the heavenly bath was great. Dual shower head and large tub. Had I more time, I would have loved a soak in the tub!

I had room service breakfast and the delivery was on-time and the guy was very nice and helpful when bringing in the food. Food was hot and tasted very good.

I would definitely stay here again for business or pleasure. The location was good, even though I did not get to experience the area given my schedule. Solid, reliable Westin!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed October 15, 2008

I booked this trip through hotwire and got a great deal of under a $100 a night. Although there were many negative reviews I think that they are unfounded. I thought that the location was excellent, right in the heart of downtown. I also thought that the room was spacious and updated. Their heavenly towels were great. Also, this hotel has a great indoor/outdoor pool and hottub. I found everything to be quite nice.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 14, 2008

There are many finer choices in downtown Denver. Don't waste your money at this hotel!

Where to begin........I checked in on Wednesday, August 13th and stayed for one night. The hotel itself is in a convenient downtown location. You can walk 5 blocks to Union Station, you can walk 1 block to the free 16th Street Mall bus stop, and you can walk 2 blocks to the Market Street bus plaza where you can catch the "AF" bus to Denver Airport. The "AF" bus is a great way to get to DIA. Check Denver RTD's website for pickup times. Travel time is one hour, and cost is $9 payable in cash to the driver (exact change required). Super Shuttle also serves the Westin Hotel, and the cost is $19 to DIA. Super Shuttle picks up in the lobby of the hotel every 20 to 30 minutes all day long.

When I checked into the hotel, the process was smooth with no problems. However, when I got up to my room (Room #1714), I could see that I was put into a handicapped room. The room is slightly larger, but the bathroom is setup much differently than the non-handicapped rooms. I called down to the front desk to ask if this was a handicapped room to see what I would be told. The gal I spoke to said yes, this is a handicapped room. I asked her why she didn't tell me this when I checked in. She then told me that the room is identical to all of the other rooms except it is a bit larger to accommodate wheelchairs, and the shower has a metal grab bar in it. I told her that I thought all Westin rooms had the "Heavenly Shower", and she said this is correct and my room has this featured shower. I told her no, this is not the case, as my shower has a special detachable single shower head (not the dual-jet Heavenly Shower head), and there is not one grab bar in the shower but three! She was unaware of this, and did not offer a change of rooms (and I did not ask, either, as it was late and I just wanted to get some sleep). Also, the entire shower/tub/tile and the bathroom counter are all original and were NOT refurbished when this hotel had all the rooms redone. It looks the same as it did 10 years ago. Why did the Westin Tabor Center not refurbish the bathrooms in the handicapped rooms like they did all of the other rooms??? You can also see from the photo of the tub that the base of it has brown, ground-in dirt from years of use. This is not acceptable.

As you can see from my pictures, the shower itself is very "industrial" and is not to my liking at all. The toilet is obviously a different model for use in this room because it is extremely low to the floor. I'm not sure how well it shows in my picture, but I am six feet tall and when using the toilet, my knees are almost up in my chest because of this thing being so low to the floor. I felt like John Candy in the movie, "Uncle Buck" walking into the little boys room at the grade school of his nephew where everything is down-sized. I felt ridiculous sitting there trying to use this "different" toilet!

Moving on to room service......I can only describe the room service menu as "weird". If you are looking for normal American breakfast (eggs, toast, hash brown, etc), you will not find it on this menu. Instead, their breakfast offerings consist of items such as:

Spicy smoked turkey taco
Organic eggs benedict with salmon
Egg white scrambled, oatmeal-crusted chicken
Smoked salmon, silky tofu and avocado
Granola yogurt and orange pancakes

Yes, those are actual items on the breakfast menu!!! I called room service (called "Service Express" here) and asked if maybe there were two menus, and I was looking at a special menu since I was in the handicapped room? She told me no, there was only one menu. Hmmm....okay, so I asked if they had anything such as an American Breakfast like all other hotels seem to have, and she then told me yes, there is an American Breakfast available but it is not listed in the room service menu. To find the American Breakfast, you have to look at the card that you would hang on your door at night to schedule a morning breakfast. Are you confused yet? So was I. So if you stay at this hotel (but I recommend that you do not), just remember that the room service menu does not list all of the options. You have to locate the door card and see what's on there. I find this very strange----why don't they just list what's available in the regular menu? Very frustrating.

When the food arrived, the gentleman was pleasant enough and it was delivered in a timely manner. However, after he left the room, I sat down to eat and noticed that there was no salt and pepper and no ketchup for the hash browns. I've never stayed at an allegedly "nice" hotel where they don't put these condiments on your table. I did not call downstairs to have it delivered as I just did not want to hassle with another issue.

As you can see from the photo attached to this review, the window in this room has a jam on the top latch that does not allow the window to close. Because of this, you can not block out all of the noise from the street below (cars, trucks, sirens, etc).

There was a used plastic grocery bag on the shelf of the closet in this room, which of course is no big deal, but it does show the lack of attention by housekeeping staff.

It's no wonder that the Westin Hotel Tabor Center does not even rate in the top 25 hotels on TripAdvisor. I do not recommend this hotel, as there are much better options within a few short blocks of here. Give the Hyatt Convention Center a try---it's a very nice place.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
4  Thank smitty195
Reviewed July 31, 2008

Wonderful stay for me, my husband and daughter. Convenient to everything and it is on the 16th street mall. Beautiful views, excellent service and helpful staff. Starbucks and lounge in building as well as an excellent restaurant on site and room service. Would definitely stay again. Very clean, beautiful property. What is to be expected by Westin properties.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family