“Great hotel, love the location!”

The Westin Denver Downtown
Ranked #29 of 160 Hotels in Denver
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We just stayed here over the labor day weekend and it was a great stay. All of the staff here is very friendly. The hotel is very nice. I read in a couple reviews that it was beat up but it must have been renovated recently because it was beautiful. The rooms were nice a clean. You do have to pay for parking here($25/night self, $32 valet), something I was trying to find out before hand. The Westin is located right on 16th street which is very nice, lots of restaurants around and you can always hop on the 16th st. bus to head to many other places in Downtown Denver, we never had to use our car. The pool here is great! cool place to hang out but nice if you have children too. They do serve food and drinks by the pool. I will definitely return to the Westin when we are in Denver.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed September 2, 2013

We booked with Cash & Points for 1 night in late August. Since we were there just 1 night, my SPG Platinum Status got us upgraded to a "luxury" room on the top floor (19th floor).

Which wasn't a suite, but a massive room with 2 beds. The room itself was very convenient for 3 adults and 1 toddler. The bathroom was massive as well (see in the photos), with a separate rain shower and double sinks. The room also had a small kitchenette area (small sink, empty mini fridge) which came in handy when traveling with young kids (see photos).

The view was great and the location perfect. We were right on the 16th Street Mall and a 10 minute walk to/from Coors Field to watch the Rockies game. We couldn't have picked a better location in all of Denver.

Parking was located beneath the hotel, but run by a separate company. However, if you brought the parking ticket at check in, they would take care of it for you and just charge you on your hotel bill. I've heard reports that the $25/night they charge is higher than if you paid yourself, but I can't verify that. Valet is $32/night and might be worth it because we got lucky that we found a parking spot in the "Non-Valet" section. I could see it being very difficult to find a spot at a busy time.

The pool is rather large for a city hotel and has both an indoor and outdoor section, though the indoor is quite small relative to the outside section. There's a lot of rooftop for sitting/tanning as well. However, the pool isn't heated if that matters to you.

The only major negative was that the room connected to the adjacent suite, which happened to have a big group of people in it that night. They weren't doing anything obnoxious (their group talking in a normal volume at 11PM on a Friday night), but the connecting door was letting EVERY sound through.

Had I known in advance, I would not have accepted the larger room with the connecting door to a suite. But it was already late on Friday night and my family had settled in. It was too late to switch rooms, so we just dealt with it.

Wifi was about $11/night, but it was free for Starwood Gold/Platinum members. However, it did show up on my folio so I had to ask to remove it. Not a big deal, but just a reminder to check your bill before you check out.

On the positive note, the Platinum amenity choice we selected was free breakfast for 2 people in their lobby restaurant. You need to get a voucher from the front desk at check in to present to the server. We were only entitled to continental breakfast (cold) but we were also offered hot food (eggs, bacon, sausage, waffles, etc). 100% no charge. Not even presented a bill, but we did tip as if we did pay. The servers were great.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
JulieR1012, Manager at The Westin Denver Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2013

Thank you for your kind words regarding your recent experience at the Westin Denver Downtown. We share these comments with our staff to motivate them to continue to exceed the expectations of our guests so we can replicate your experience. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed August 31, 2013

we celebrated our daughter's wedding at the Westin downtown Denver. The experience was wonderful. Johnny was our server during dinner, very attentive and his care for us was exemplary. Ryan also made sure the whole event ran smoothly and perfectly. Thank you for a great celebration at the Westin Downtown Denver.
Debbie, Mother of the bride

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Thank you so much for your encouraging words! We have passed on the kudos to Johnny and Ryan, as well as posted your comments for the rest of the hotel staff. We are happy to have been a part in your daughters special day and hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed August 31, 2013

I visit Denver about 6-8 times a year on business and try to stay at the Westin as often as possible. The hotel is in a great location as it is steps away from the 16th Street Mall, close to LODO, the museum, most businesses and sporting venues. Downtown Denver is not very big when you compare it to say Manhattan so you can walk to most everything from the Westin or take the free bus that rides up and down 16th St. Being an east coast person I often get up early and run 16th street which can be a little strange at night or in the early morning hours as the Mall attracts the homeless and the young adult skateboarding types.

The Westin is nice enough and has everything I look for as a business traveler. Its convenient, the room is sizable and clean, the bed is comfortable, the gym is bigger than most hotel gyms, and the staff is friendly which why I keep coming back.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 30, 2013

The service I receive from Mi Ok and Theresa is exceptional. They get to know the regular customers and what they order that my order is ready by the time I pay for it. They always smile and chat and still get the orders processed in a timely manner. I hope that their service to the customers is appreciated by their employer as much as we the customer appreciate them. They are truly exceptional people and makes my visit a very pleasant experience. Anna

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I was so excited to stay at this "nice" downtown location, but I was not really impressed at all. Our room felt worn out. The furniture was a bit shabby and scraped up. The room was huge and could easily fit queen beds, but the double beds they put in the rooms are extremely small. Do not count on a good night sleep if you have to share the bed with someone. The pool was a great setting, but the water was cold. The thing that irked me the most was the self parking. We were told to return the parking pass to the front desk to get it validated and have the charge added to our bill. I noticed that they charged more for this than if we were just to pay as we exited. When we inquired at the front desk, they were very coy about answering the question about paying more for doing the extra work and having them validate the pass. The front desk staff told us that we would save money, but not sure how much and that we would have to locate the lost ticket button if we wanted the charge off our room bill. We did this and saved some money. Not sure why they are charging more for their guests to park?? Overall, there are nicer options downtown than this hotel.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

Let me start by saying how extremely accomodating the staff at this hotel was. My husband and I were traveling with our 18month old daughter so we had a few extra requests to ensure we could make HER stay easier as well. All requests were responded to quickly, efficiently, and with a smile.

Location is great! There was some outside street noise, but nothing that couldn't be muffled with a little music in the background. There does seem to be a picketing "homeless" problem outside of the hotel, however, noone bothered us and they were just wanting to be heard.... no issues.

Hotel was a nice wide open and clean feel. The rooms are large and didn't feel cramped. Hallways were quiet with the exception of an occasional slammed door. NEVER heard hall conversations. Starbucks in the lower lobby was a bonus to not have to stumble too far out for a caffeine fix.

3 items that weren't all that impressive:

1) the Heavenly bed.... wasn't so Heavenly. One side of the mattress was rather soft and "broken in", while the other side seemed to have some coils that were no longer in place and made for a lumpy bed. As we had 2 beds in the room, this wasn't a huge issue because we had options to rotate.... but certainly wasn't what Westin is advertising.

2) the Heavenly crib. I'm not sure I understand why this is referred to as a "Heavenly crib". (what was I expecting?) Plain small metal white crib with a mattress and a sheet. Not any different that any other crib I've seen in hotel rooms and if the mattress was anything like that mentioned above, then it is no wonder that my daughter refused to stay in it. I will say the rug they brought with the crib (nice and fluffy ...blue with white clouds) was quite soft and kinda cute. However, I don't understand why I needed a rug with my crib. Appearances? Again, didn't make a case for my daughter to stay in the crib.

3) Water leak in bathroom under sink..... that ran out in floor..... and around toilet. Really? Wouldn't the maid notice this? Apparently not as she kept stacking fresh towels directly under the leak. It wasn't a flood... and really just a minor annoyance but still something that should have been addressed before assigning the room to a paying customer.

All in all it was a good stay. I stay in a lot of hotels and found the small inconveniences to be somewhat typical of a hotel room.... though not necessarily a Westin. I would definitely recommend a stay here. ... Just be willing to live with a little wear and tear in the room.

1  Thank Momspeed12