“Nice Stay”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Atlanta, Georgia
“Nice Stay”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Let me start by saying how extremely accomodating the staff at this hotel was. My husband and I were traveling with our 18month old daughter so we had a few extra requests to ensure we could make HER stay easier as well. All requests were responded to quickly, efficiently, and with a smile.

Location is great! There was some outside street noise, but nothing that couldn't be muffled with a little music in the background. There does seem to be a picketing "homeless" problem outside of the hotel, however, noone bothered us and they were just wanting to be heard.... no issues.

Hotel was a nice wide open and clean feel. The rooms are large and didn't feel cramped. Hallways were quiet with the exception of an occasional slammed door. NEVER heard hall conversations. Starbucks in the lower lobby was a bonus to not have to stumble too far out for a caffeine fix.

3 items that weren't all that impressive:

1) the Heavenly bed.... wasn't so Heavenly. One side of the mattress was rather soft and "broken in", while the other side seemed to have some coils that were no longer in place and made for a lumpy bed. As we had 2 beds in the room, this wasn't a huge issue because we had options to rotate.... but certainly wasn't what Westin is advertising.

2) the Heavenly crib. I'm not sure I understand why this is referred to as a "Heavenly crib". (what was I expecting?) Plain small metal white crib with a mattress and a sheet. Not any different that any other crib I've seen in hotel rooms and if the mattress was anything like that mentioned above, then it is no wonder that my daughter refused to stay in it. I will say the rug they brought with the crib (nice and fluffy ...blue with white clouds) was quite soft and kinda cute. However, I don't understand why I needed a rug with my crib. Appearances? Again, didn't make a case for my daughter to stay in the crib.

3) Water leak in bathroom under sink..... that ran out in floor..... and around toilet. Really? Wouldn't the maid notice this? Apparently not as she kept stacking fresh towels directly under the leak. It wasn't a flood... and really just a minor annoyance but still something that should have been addressed before assigning the room to a paying customer.

All in all it was a good stay. I stay in a lot of hotels and found the small inconveniences to be somewhat typical of a hotel room.... though not necessarily a Westin. I would definitely recommend a stay here. ... Just be willing to live with a little wear and tear in the room.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Momspeed12

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I am writing to express the wonderful experience that I had at The Westin in downtown Denver. The staff and management Nicole Pelham and the wait staff at The Augusta Room were so nice and helpful that I wanted to let you know...Kathy Williams Hostess and Matt Latham wait staff could not have made me feel more comfortable and at ease. I was staying there because it was our anniversary and our house was having some work done and we were not able to sleep there. If I ever have to stay in Denver again I would certainly stay at The Westin in downtown Denver.
OH, I can't forget about the really beautiful pool where you feel like you are on top of the world what a beautiful view!!
Sincerely
Kathy Squadra

Room Tip: I would suggest a mountain view, but we didn't have one and it was still AWSOME.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
JulieR1012, Manager at The Westin Denver Downtown, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
We are glad to hear that your anniversary celebration at the Westin Denver Downtown was memorable. We love when our guests provide us excellent reviews such as yours! I will be sure to share this review with Nicole, Kathy and Matt, as well as our entire staff. We hope to welcome you back soon.
Denver
Reviewed August 24, 2013

This hotel is in an excellent location of downtown - countless restaurants nearby to satisfy even the most picky diner in your group, lots of shopping and all within an easy walk. This Westin is nice enough but has to be one of the older in their fleet. It is in need of a little TLC. The room was clean but hotel bathrooms are still difficult to perfect. The beds are quite comfortable but not very large. Wifi is $10/day! The parking garage, (which is shared by the Tabor Center), smells like an outhouse. And one last gripe: it would be nice to be able to use the mini fridge for our own supplies, not just for the hotels overpriced snacks. They give you the option of having a separate fridge delivered for that purpose. Who is going to go to that trouble? The staff here are friendly and eager to please though and that makes a return visit a possibility.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent experience here. I agree; we have the best location of any hotel in the Denver area with easy access to the sports arenas, theatre and restaurants. We do offer complimentary internet in our Lobby and Entrance Level Lobby near Starbuck’s, but do follow Starwood and Westin standards of charging for this service in our guest rooms. The company that owns and operates the parking structure (not affiliated with our hotel in any fashion other than offering our guests the opportunity to park in proximity to the hotel) has made the necessary repairs to the garage. Thanks again for staying with us and I hope to see you soon.
Lafayette, LA
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Quick business trip to Denver, great room on the 4th floor. Quiet but near the pool area. Thought breakfast was included but a business associate picked up the tab. Clean room - told me I had to pay for internet????

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent experience here. We do offer complimentary internet in our Lobby and Entrance Level Lobby near Starbuck’s, but do follow Starwood and Westin standards of charging for this service in our guest rooms. Thanks again for staying with us. We look forward to seeing you the next time your travels bring you to Denver.
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed August 23, 2013

The service delivered by Claire, Mi Ok, Teresa and Adam in the Starbucks located in the Westin Denver Downtown is excellent. They care about the clients, and they remember the regular clients. They provide conversation, make suggestions and they always have a smile, even when they are busy. I noticed that not only me appreciates them, but the rest of the clients. I hope someone recognize their outstanding service they provide.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed August 22, 2013

My room was one of the Westin Workout rooms. I had a spin bike, stability ball, mat and weights. This is a brilliant idea, as hotel fitness centers can sometimes be creepy and/or outdated. The exercise shoes and clothes they provide (for just $5) are in great condition.

One downside - the workout rooms are in the corners of the hotel, which apparently means access to their wifi is iffy. Despite very helpful IT support folks, I never had a wifi connection. Not a big deal since I could work off the 4G on my phone.

The hotel itself is beautiful. Friendly and helpful staff. Starbucks at street level if you don't have time for a sit-down breakfast. Easy walk to many downtown offices so you can skip the rental car. I'd definitely stay there again and again.

Room Tip: I got lucky with the workout room. Front desk said you can request a workout room online, and if it...
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

We have stayed here in the past and during our most recent visit at the end of July, we noticed the service has diminished significantly. We arrived on a Monday night, and as we approached the front desk, the only person staffing it nervously looked around and avoided all eye contact. Check-in was slow but fine, but when we asked for the concierge, we were informed there wasn't one that day. So we made our inquiries to the front desk person whose reply was "I wouldn't know." And during check-out, even though we called ahead to have our car pulled up well ahead of time, it was not ready and someone had to go get it. We were the only ones leaving at that time so no rush hour excuse we could detect. We are staying there again (SPG membership points) and hope that the hotel management pays some badly needed attention to guest services, please!

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
I am so sorry your recent experience at our hotel did not meet your expectations. At The Westin Denver Downtown, we strive to exceed the expectations of our guests and we did not do this in your case. Should you wish to share more specifics with me, please feel free to contact me directly at julie.rhodes@westin.com. We hope to exceed your expectations on your next trip to Denver!