“Great Location, Beware of Parking Fees”

The Westin Denver Downtown
Ranked #29 of 157 Hotels in Denver
GreenLeadersBronze level
Roanoke, Virginia
“Great Location, Beware of Parking Fees”
Reviewed July 17, 2013

My friends and I stayed at the Westin Downtown Denver for one night. The Westin is centrally located, easy to find and positioned right on 16th Street. Once you park, you can walk almost everywhere or ride the free mall bus up and down 16th street. Upon pulling into the Westin, the valet service was very helpful and asked if we would like to use valet or self park. Since we were self-parking they showed us where exactly to go. The parking garage seemed safe enough, although the old bed sheets that were hung to cover up machinery or whatever was a little weird. From the parking deck, you can take the elevator up to the main lobby. The staff was very accommodating and there was no wait to check in. They even had a room available right away. The room they offered us was a handicapped room, which turned out to be quite roomy for 4 friends sharing the room for the night. The room itself was very large and clean and offered a nice view of the city buildings. The bathroom was also large, as to accommodate a wheelchair. However again, this offered a nice place for changing, especially when sharing the room. I did see a few issues with the bathroom, however. Because of the handicap accessories, they did not feature the heavenly shower head (2 shower heads), which I actually look forward too. Also, on a more important note, the towels needed to be thrown away. One towel had a yellow spot on it and a torn frayed edge and another towel had a tiny blood spot on it. The heavenly beds were not as comfortable as I remember from other Westin's. Although the feather blankets and pillows were very soft, I could feel every spring in the mattress. I feel like I needed a hip massage in the morning. A few other minor issues were there were not enough outlets in the room. Traveling with 4 friends, each needing to charge phones and cameras, this room did not accommodate. We especially needed the outlets near the bed, where we can plug the phones in at night and be able to see the phone in the morning. The iron was working, but the base was basically melted and broken off. Not impressed. Also, there should be a refrigerator available for use. Apparently you can request one, however, the minibar fridge should not be on lockdown. Also, there needs to be free WiFi. These are all just minor things, but standard items in less expensive hotels like Marriot's and Hampton Inn's. The hotel lobby was very open and clean. The hotel pool was quite small, but kids seemed to be having fun in it. I ventured out there to check out the view to see fireworks and it looks like a restaurant bomb had gone off. There were plates, napkins, towels and old food scattered everywhere. I guess the pool area was understaffed that evening, however, I was unimpressed. Checking out was easy, however the self-parking lot was not so hassle-free. The parking meter machine is not very intuitive. Use your room key to get out. If you don't follow directions, you will be charged atleast $38 for parking overnight from the city. After looking over my credit card bill and noticing the charge, Westin rectified the situation, however, they should let you know upon check-in, how to pay at the parking lot when leaving. Overall, if I were to stay in Denver again, I would give the Westin another shot due to it's great location, but overall it was not as top notch as other Westin's have been.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed July 16, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at the Westin for a weekend trip. We had a great experience here, the hotel is located in such a great area with lots of restaurants, bars and shopping. The room itself was large and comfortable. We did have an issue with the thermostat, even at 64 degrees it was very warm for sleeping. Not sure if the fans weren't working properly or what it was. Otherwise, we liked the room--the bathroom was a little dated but very clean. All of the staff were very helpful and kind. We spent a couple afternoons at the pool and loved it. It was a great space, although I would suggest more lounge chairs for people to sit over couches. I don't think people seemed to mind it, it was a nice gathering space, it just got a little crowded in the afternoon. As a whole, we had a fantastic experience and would absolutely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We had our family reunion this year with the Westin in downtown Denver. The group booking was a breeze and I was helped at every step by Carli Bach. I would definitely recommend requesting her. They worked with us on a great price $119 a night in prime season compared to the Priceline rate of $189. They sent me a link and the whole family was able to reserve their rooms online. Our room had a specialty beer and snacks to welcome us with a personalized note from Carli.

The hotel is beautiful. The location is a half block off of the 16th street mall, making it a prime location. The whole family was able to either walk or take the free rail to tons of shops, restaurants, attractions and bars. The pool is beautiful as it overlooks the rocky mountains. It is a little small but they make up for that in the amount of seating/lounging area they have.

This hotel is top notch and the location is superb. If you can afford to snag yourself a night here, whether passing through or during a stay, I definitely recommend it. I couldn't imagine experiencing downtown Denver any other way. Enjoy!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 8, 2013

From arrival, my stay was launched in the best possible way. Blair- who has a name tag declaiming her passion: football- was the epitome of the perfect welcome. She was smiley, professional, and courteous while still maintaining a down to earth air. She offered the perfect food recommendations and made me feel from the start that this would be the best way to end my vacation in Denver. She was neither rushed nor slow about our conversation- conveying she both valued me and my time.

The room was also exceptional, but a "good morning" from housekeeping as we walked down the hall, a "hope you're having a great night" from the bartender as we passed by, and a generally uplifting spirit in the lobby makes this a place I would come back to in a heartbeat.

I'm so grateful that my last two days in Denver could be launched off on the right foot. Thank you, Blair!

• Stayed July 2013
JulieR1012, Manager at The Westin Denver Downtown, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
We love when our guests provide us excellent reviews such as yours! I will be sure to share this review with Blair and our entire staff! We hope to welcome you back soon.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed June 30, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for one night recently to catch a couple of Rockies games. The location is absolutely perfect - right off 16th Street Mall, walking distance to everything. Service was great. I ended up getting a basic room for $112.00 for a Friday night stay, but it took quite a bit of effort with Westin to get it. I did quite a bit of research online for pricing to get a good deal and found significantly cheaper rates on other booking websites. The rates I found on the Westin site were much higher. I tried to contact the Denver Westin directly to compare rates, but was told that the hotel does not handle any direct reservations, I had to go through the main 800 Westin to book. My first call quoted me rates higher than the Westin website! When I told the reservationist this, and that I was looking at other booking sites that were upwards of $80-100 less than what she was quoting, she didn't do anything with any of the rates to encourage me to book directly with Westin, so I ended the call. I tried again and got a different agent who again quoted rates substantially higher than what I was finding and higher than the Westin website. She did however, make the extra effort when I pushed the pricing difference issue, and suggest that I look into the "Best Rate Guarantee" on the Westin website. I did and filled out the claim form before I booked anywhere else, just provided the multiple websites that were offering a $125.00 per night rate. I heard back fairly quickly, they confirmed my lower rate and dropped it by 10%. So, I ended up paying $112 for our one night at the Westin. It was worth the extra effort to get this great deal. I was just really discouraged that the 1st Westin phone agent was so non-responsive to the fact that I was looking at a rate $90 less than what she was telling me was "her best deal". Anyway, we self-parked in their garage and that was about $25.00 for the night - not a bad deal for overnight, garage parking in a city. The room was fine - spacious, well appointed and clean. No complaints at all on our stay. My one issue would be to have the Westin site and reservationists be a bit more competitive with rates when a potential guest makes an effort to book directly with the facility.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
JulieR1012, Manager at The Westin Denver Downtown, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear that your first attempt to reserve a room didn’t go well, but I am happy you tried again. We agree that this is a wonderful hotel with a great location close to many of the restaurants and attractions Denver has to offer. We hope to see you again the next time you are in Denver.
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Stayed 4 nights.

Everything was great about this hotel. First go up the escalator to find free apples, then walk up to the smiley, cheery people at the front desk. I had reserved 2 rooms, which each got upgraded to mountain view SPG floor (great rooms). To my surprise, room 1722, the room I stayed in, had the mountain view, clock tower view, city view, stadium view, every view imaginable in Denver. I was super surprised we got such a beautiful room on 5,000 starpoints + $60 USD a night. After check in and admiring the beautiful views, we went downstairs to the concierge to find things to do. He gave us the name and phone number to this wonderful driver, who I highly recommend due to his more than reasonable prices, the cleanliness of his Chevy Suburbans, and his really great personality that you choose him for any transportation you need around Colorado, even to the airport at the same price as the taxi!

Chris: 720-939-7692 ; denvercityelite.com

So Steve, the friendly concierge who really knows his stuff, had Chris take us to Colorado Heli Ops, in which we were taking a helicopter tour, and then picked us up right when it was over. He then took us on a tour of the downtown/Cherry Creek area and spoke of some of the history of Denver. He then dropped us back off at the hotel and I decided to check out the pool area/workout room. It was very well equipped, brand new equipment, and a basketball court, which was a huge plus. Beautiful locker rooms too. Pool area was great too, with outdoor and indoor seating, and a "passage way" in the pool that connects the indoor and outdoor pools. At night, it was even better, with spectacular views of Denver and the pool was lit up with cool, relaxed purple lighting.

Inside the room specifically, it was comfortable with the Westin Heavenly Beds. Shower had a good amount of pressure, bathroom was spacious, but the mini bar was WAY overpriced compared to other hotels in major cities. Free bottles of water were provided daily because of my Gold Status at SPG.

Location is the best in town. Starbucks in on the Lower Level (one of the best I've seen, more like a full service Starbucks), Palm restaurant on Lower Level as well. Right when you walk outside, you are in the heart of the tourist area of downtown Denver, the 16th street mall. If you walk up to 16th Street from the hotel, hang a right and Cheesecake Factory is right there, one of my favorites. Also, if you go out the back door of the lower level (by the bank) and hang a right and Starbucks isn't your thing, Corner Bakery Cafe is right there.

Also took a tour of the ballpark, which was really cool. Highly recommend if the Rockies are not in town.

Another great restaurant to visit is Venice. If you take the 16th Street free mall ride down, you will find it. Ask Steve about it at the Concierge, he can book you a reservation and give you specific directions.

Lastly, want to give a shout out to Tom, one of the front desk associates. At the fitness center, they had a little "fitness bar" with water, protein drinks, protein bars, snacks, etc. which closed before I could buy something after my workout. Tom went above and beyond and gave me 3 free Power Bars, even though I was more than willing to pay for them. That is an example of someone who should be promoted up the the managerial level.

Room Tip: Mountain View rooms on the SPG floor are the very best in the hotel.