“Charming & Romantic”

Ranked #4 of 157 Hotels in Denver
Denver, CO
“Charming & Romantic”
Reviewed January 29, 2010

My husband and I stayed here for our wedding anniversary, and he surprised me so I had no choice in where we stayed - but I was very pleased with the Oxford Hotel! It's charming, well kept but old {those who appreciate antiques will be in heaven} and has an amazing western art collection in the lobby. The staff was friendly and easy to work with. Our room was very nice, clean, well stocked with amenities, and comfortable.
We especially loved the large claw-foot tub in the bathroom. This hotel is just a couple blocks from the free 16th street mall shuttle, so it's very conveniently located. We also can highly recommend the Cruise Room martinis and McCormick's for dinner, both located on the first floor, connected with the hotel lobby.
This hotel is wonderful for those who like a sort of early 20th century charm & class.
Like other reviewers have mentioned, simply keep an eye on your bill and make sure to bring up questionable fees when checking out. They did charge us a bit too much on the Sunday night valet service.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hkatee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
Denver, CO
Reviewed January 21, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Oxford for my birthday. We decided to upgrade the room since it was a special occation. Though everyone seemed very polite, we must have arrived at shift change because we could not find anyone from valet to park our vehicle (parking is otherwise non-existent). We found the room quaint but for the price, not worth it. The windows have never been upgraded over the last 100 years so the rooms are very cold. The staff was nice enough to leave complementary chocolate covered pretzels in our room for my birthday but we were pretty disappointed with our service after we checked out. My husband and I are both non-smokers so imagine my surprise when I found an added $250 fee for smoking in our rooms. I have no idea what basis they used to charge us this as we absolutely did not smoke in the room. I had to call four separate times to get the fee removed after having been told each time a "manager" would call me back but never did. Finally when I did get someone who would help me, it took over a week for the refund. Based on my horrible experience with the bill, I would not recommend this hotel...or if you do go, make sure you check your credit card bill closely after you check out. There are better places to stay in the same area for the same price.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Orinda, California
Reviewed December 19, 2009

We stayed at The Oxford for one night for my birthday. The service was excellent. The room was sparkling clean. The room was on the small side, but nicely appointed. We had a drink and an appetizer in The Cruise Room. The martinis and calamari were excellent. The bartender was efficient, but unfriendly. The location is perfect for a stroll to our favorite restaurants and bars. We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Amarillo, Texas
Reviewed December 17, 2009

Staying in this late 1800's hotel provides a great connection with people a century ago, looking forward to a relaxing night after a harrowing travel. The rooms are nice sized, the beds comfortable, and the bathroom spacious. However, watch out for extra charges. We didn't use the mini-bar, but were charged. Our bank account was also charged multiple times by the hotel, which led to an annoying call to the bank to have the extra charges taken off.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank TrueTexasTraveler
Crested Butte, Colorado
Reviewed November 15, 2009

On a busy weeknight we waited 2 1/2 hours for our room to be ready, missing the "guaranteed" check in time and without a single staff member updating us or checking if we needed anything. The room was large but faced the busy street with only heavy drapes or full exposure choices--no blinds or sheers. Turndown service was nice but revealed holes in the very worn sheets! Beware the "Bed and Breakfast Package" will give you only a fixed dollar voucher which will not cover two breakfast meals. There are many fine other choices nearby.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank A-Pittsburgh-native
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed November 14, 2009

Historic hotel in downtown Denver, super friendly, beautiful amenities. Would definitely go back!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Norwich UK
Reviewed October 10, 2009

The Oxford is a very good quality hotel and we were very happy with our choice for two 2 day stays. The service was excellent throughout, helpful front desk and useful town car service. As it was our 30th wedding anniversary we were given upgraded rooms on both occasions with champagne and rose petals on the first occasion. Rooms are furnished with antiques or old style furniture. The in house restaurant was very good, we also ate in the cruise room and the bar.

The hotel is very convenient for downtown, within yards of the free bus on 16th street, it is also close to the Amtrak station and Coors Field baseball stadium

The hotel may not be as glitzy as some upmarket chains but the overall quality is definitely there.

Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple