“Nice hotel near sporting areas”
Review of The Oxford Hotel

The Oxford Hotel
Ranked #4 of 157 Hotels in Denver
Johnstown, Colorado
“Nice hotel near sporting areas”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Wife and I spent Labor day weekend after seeing a show in Denver and had a nice experience at hotel. Large rooms and well kept up for hotel over a hundred years old. A historic hotel. Friendly staff and helpful. No complaints, Nice touch is the carpet in the elevators changes daily with the name of the week noted as you get on.
Close to sports venues for baseball, basketball, hockey, and could have hotel SUV take you on the short hop to the football stadium.
Also near some very good restaurants and 1 block to get on shuttle for 16th st Mall that gets you to most places in downtown Denver

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Brandon H, Director of Sales at The Oxford Hotel, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for joining us! It sounds like you had a fantastic weekend of leisure, culture, and recreation. It’s true: each night at midnight we switch out the mats in the elevators to match the day of the week. Whether you are here on business or pleasure, a hot cup of Oxford Blend coffee and a reminder of what day it is will help you start your day! We would love to have you return so let us know when you will be visiting Denver again!

Brandon Hendricks

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
Brisbane
Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

We only stayed for 18 hours and needed to stay there between transport options. The hotel is very attractively furnished and staff were very welcoming. We chose it because we needed an efficient transfer and a good nights sleep. Failed on both counts. The hotel has a courtesy bus which was one reason we chose it. Called them when the California Zephyr arrived. They told us 5 mins. 20 mins later still not there and we were waiting on a street at night with few people around. Could have taken a cab. Then when we needed a sleep in, the alarm in the room went off at 5:30 from previous customers. Come on housekeeping...basic stuff to turn off alarm after each tenancy. To top it off in response to the "Hope you enjoyed your stay" I informed the tall cleanly shaven gentleman that we did not appreciate the alarm going off at 5:30. No response. No apology comment or anything. Didn't help much. Small problems but annoying. To be fair. It is a very nice hotel and this was possibly out of character.

Stayed August 2013
Scottsdale, AZ
Reviewed August 28, 2013

This is a great historic hotel in the heart of LODO. We thoroughly enjoyed happy hour at McCormicks and the Cruise Room was perfect for a late night snack.

We had a mix up on our room which resulted in our getting an unsatisfactory room, however I received three phone calls from management. They were sincerely concerned and I was impressed.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear guest,

The truth is that we certainly do care! On rare occasions, we do come across a mistake on a reservation or a maintenance issue in a room. Our business and reputation depends not just on mitigating the frequency of errors, but also addressing them in a way that recognizes that our customers are the most important part of our success. We sincerely hope you do return to have an experience at the hotel that matches your experience with the bar and restaurant!

Best regards,

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Our leadership team decided to have an offsite meeting in Denver and I was asked to make all the logistic reservations. I contacted 3 hotels in Denver to ask for room rates and a meeting room for our day and a half meeting. I selected The Oxford Hotel and I am glad that I did. Everything went very smoothly and the staff could not be nicer. They were great to work with and our entire team was very impressed with this hotel. There is a definite charm to this property and I would definitely recommend anyone to stay here for business or pleasure.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Steven S
Dear guest,

We pride ourselves on providing fantastic experiences to all travelers. The Oxford Hotel is an ideal location for small groups and we feel blessed that your team selected our hotel! Please let us know next time your colleagues need a place to host a meeting so we can impress again!

Best regards,

Austin, Texas, United States
Reviewed August 22, 2013

I lied - I actually stayed at The Oxford Hotel August of 2012 and am heading back there next week (exactly a year later). I booked the Oxford via Hotels.com last year because of the price and it's location. Also, I like funkier hotels that might have more of a story.
When I got there my room was super-clean, pretty big for being a cheaper room, nicely appointed to match the style of the hotel and had an iPod dock that I could instantly rock out with. And I did!
The bed was awesome. Very nice bedding and extremely comfortable - almost too awesome.
The bathroom reminded me of something from The Shining but still had a modern edge to it. I didn't read the reviews online that discussed the possible hauntings before I stayed there, but I did experience some weird stuff, including the bathroom door swinging open and slapping me on my buttocks. (I was there alone.)
I requested a late check-out and was granted one, the desk folks held onto my stuff and even got me a ride to some places I wanted to check out since I had hours before I needed to catch my flight. The only downside I can think of was when I took the ride they offered me to the airport. It was $60...I won't do that again, but the ride was still better than a normal cab and I really enjoyed the driver and the guys that were driving me around downtown.

I didn't eat or drink at the hotel bar, so I can't offer you my valuable opinion on that part. I am looking forward to my stay again next week.

Room Tip: The concierges at the hotel will drive you anywhere in their vehicle within a short radius. Consider...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank April D
Brandon H, Director of Sales at The Oxford Hotel, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear guest,

I hope we have the pleasure of having you return next August, too! It is a great honor to have any guest, but it means something grand to have a guest return to our hotel. It means we have created an experience worth repeating by making sure that our hospitality extends beyond the walls of our historic building.

The bed, alone, is worth it! If you have time, definitely visit the Cruise Room martini bar or McCormick’s restaurant. Their breakfast is as fantastic as the lunch and dinner they are known for. We will see you again soon!

Eatonton, Georgia
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Beautiful hotel with friendly people. Great location near a street with many shops, restaurants and free bus rides. The hotel provides free shuttle service to the Amtrak station and other areas downtown.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

We are very happy you stayed with us! Our staff and location are, no doubt, two of our greatest assets. It’s no wonder we are a favorite for staycations, vacations, business travel, and special occasions! Let us know next time you will be in town!

Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed August 16, 2013

My wife and I stayed here the night of our wedding before heading to Key West. This was the best service I have ever experienced starting from pulling up to the curb all the way to leaving the next morning. I was given a great price when I called in and mentioned that we were going to be there for our wedding night. We were given a turn down service with rose petals and a bottle of champagne. The bell hop and attendant at the front desk were extremely polite and helpful. We were given a discount to McCormick's restaurant at the hotel. There was also a really cool bar at the restaurant. Our room was spacious, the bed was comfortable, and the room was extremely clean. We will definitely be back in the future.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dunl1122
Dear guest,

Firstly, congratulations! We hope your entire wedding getaway was amazing and look forward to seeing you two again! Just remember: any time you visit is a special occasion. Best wishes for you and your wife!

Until next time,