“Old-fashioned Hospitality”

Ranked #4 of 156 Hotels in Denver
Colorado
“Old-fashioned Hospitality”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

These days, travel has a tendency to be impersonal. We make reservations over the internet, and never actually have to speak to a human. From the minute we walked into the Oxford Hotel, the staff made us aware that they were there to make sure we had a wonderful time. The friendliness of the desk clerk, room service, parking and restaurant cannot be understated, in this age of computer-processed travel. The rooms have been beautifully updated since our last stay, as well. You can't go wrong with the Oxford.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Afsi B, General Manager at The Oxford Hotel, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Dear EKK Colorado,

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback with us! It is wonderful to read your comments and we will be sure to share them with our team. Thank you again and we look forward welcoming you back to The Oxford Hotel.

• GENERAL MANAGER •
1600 17th Street • Denver, Colorado 80202
abird@theoxfordhotel.com • theoxfordhotel.com
p: 303.628.5401 • f: 303.628.5413

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
Denver, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2012

I treated my husband to a weekend at The Oxford for our anniversary & was really blown away by this small luxury hotel! Patrick at the Front Desk & Stewart (Stuart?) in Valet were both super courteous, but the entire staff never missed a beat. We were upgraded into the Corner Room, which was so lovely! We especially enjoyed the giant clawfoot bathtub. This is definitely the place to stay for couples looking for a romantic staycation in the city. The towncar service is awesome & will take you anywhere in a 2 mile radius - which is pretty much anywhere you'd want to go in Downtown Denver. Did I mention the pillow menu, yet?! For anyone not crazy about feather pillows, not to worry there are 5 other types that can be delivered to you! Thanks to The Oxford team for helping us make wonderful memories on our anniversary - you rock!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Afsi B, General Manager at The Oxford Hotel, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear Marie C,
I am happy to hear that you and your husband had an enjoyable stay at The Oxford Hotel . We think we have a special hotel and it's always nice to hear that others think so, too!

Please know that I have shared your comments with our entire team in particular with Patrick and Stewart and we all look forward to your return.

• GENERAL MANAGER •
1600 17th Street • Denver, Colorado 80202
abird@theoxfordhotel.com • theoxfordhotel.com
p: 303.628.5401
Annapolis, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

Highly recommend this historic hotel in lodo section if Denver. We stayed over holidays so gorgeously decorated. Staff at front desk and concierge were wonderful. Very friendly helpful and always welcoming. Town car service is nice extra. Location was great for restaurants etc. and within walking distance to several attractions.

• Stayed December 2012
Afsi B, General Manager at The Oxford Hotel, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Dear Susie A,

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback with us! It is wonderful to read your comments and we will be sure to share them with our team. Thanks again, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Florianopolis, SC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

First place I stayed over when I arrived in America, and I was very surprised about how cool the people at front desk were with me even though my English were not that good. They were very pacient and tryed to understand what I was asking for and serve me in the best way.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time and acknowledging our team, and we are all very happy to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us at the Oxford Hotel in Denver. We look forward welcoming you back in the near future.

Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

First, I would like to say that my stay at The Oxford was great. The staff members were all incredibly friendly and helpful and the room was nice. The location was perfect. The one star rating is because of the sanitary conditions of the room I stayed in.

Now, I know what I am about to say could hurt this hotel's business so I do not write this review carelessly but I have to inform others who may consider staying here about my experience to hopefully prevent this from happening to someone else and to make this hotel aware of the seriousness of this situation.

After staying at this hotel for 5 days, both myself and my friend who was sharing a room with me developed a rash which was later diagnosed as Scabies. This is a very contagious skin mite that can live in bedding and mattresses and is commonly contracted at hotels. I would not point the finger at the hotel if I was not 100% certain that this is where we contracted the mites. My friend and I flew in to Denver from separate cities, both of us were symptom free for the entire 5 days we stayed at the hotel and then we both developed symptoms at the same time (in our separate cities), 3 days after our stay. This is all in line with the typical timeline of a Scabies infestation.

As soon as I discovered that what I had was Scabies I contacted the hotel via email. After a couple of days with no response, I emailed again. The purpose of the email was to inform them of the infestation so that they could treat the room and take whatever other action would be required. Finally, a week after my first email, I received a call from the General Manager. She informed me that they ran tests on the room but did not find any mites and therefore the hotel could not and would not accept responsibility for our infestation. The Scabies Mite cannot live without a human host typically for more than 48 hours so if no one else had stayed in that room, finding any mites 2 weeks after our stay would have been impossible.

Scabies is a pretty awful experience which can leave you with symptoms for months and sometimes years after exposure. Not to mention the cost involved for medications, sprays for your house and the loads and loads of laundry. The hotel did not offer to reimburse me or my friend for these expenses which I feel would have been the very least they could have done.

If you do still plan to stay here, please stay here with caution as the mites that we contracted could have stayed on the sheets if they were not washed properly to kill the mites and then put onto another bed in another room where the mites could have found another human host and the cycle then repeated.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
10 Thank AAA-WestCoast
Afsi B, General Manager at The Oxford Hotel, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Dear guest,

After multiple attempts to contact you following your departure we finally talked over the phone on 12/15/2012. In our discussion you revealed that you had traveled overseas and elsewhere in the United States before coming to The Oxford Hotel. It was determined after a thorough investigation from an outside company that there was not an infestation in your room and furthermore there were no pest issues found at The Oxford Hotel. As I mentioned in our call the Oxford has never experienced an issue like this before. We pride ourselves on our strict housekeeping standards as cleanliness is paramount to the success of our business.
Please contact me directly should I be of any further assistance.

Nashville
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2012

First, the Oxford deserves praise for preserving this historic building in LoDo and offering a European-like hotel experience. The staff was friendly and efficient, and the car service to sites within a 2 mile radius was useful. The Cruise Room lounge was a real treat too. However, there's some tweaking to be done. Free internet is available in the rooms, but in mine there were no easily available plugs for charging laptops or smartphones -- I had to use a plug by the sink. The room was filled with "shabby chic" furniture, yet seemed to lack surfaces to spread out one's things. The tiny bathroom especially lacked space -- and didn't even have a towel rack. Attention was spent on giving one an old-timey feel, but for the price a little more modern amenity would be nice. Coffee was available on each floor, but not everyone wants to venture forth in PJs to get that cup so nice to have while dressing. And for those wanting to show affection during your stay, be aware if you are highly vocal or vigorous in your embrace, your neighbor will hear it all -- 3 people from 3 different rooms told me of sound problems from other rooms. Valet parking is $28 a day, but across the street on Wazee between 16th and 17th is a parking garage (used by the hotel) for $12 a day. Easy walking distance to 16th Street Mall and free mall bus there.

Room Tip: Ask for room with few shared walls. Park at Wazee garage.