“Great place to stay”
Review of The Oxford Hotel

The Oxford Hotel
Ranked #5 of 160 Hotels in Denver
Reviewed November 29, 2007

We wanted to stay near to Amtrak station as we were taking Train #5 to Salt Lake City. Could not have been closer, about 50 yards. Easy walk to Coors field, 17th street mall and LoDo. Staff were extremely friendly and helpful - one insisted on taking our luggage to the station. Quiet rooms even though in a downtown location and on a night of the baseball playoffs.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ChessiePeake
Write a ReviewReviews (1,123)

Reviewed November 14, 2007

I travel freqently & prefer to stay in historic hotels that have character. The Oxford Hotel has been the best location that I have stayed at in a long time. The lobby & entire hotel is filled with antiques that are beautiful- but are still comfortable (not like some that you are afraid to sit on). The bed was super comfortable & I enjoyed the chocolate & weather report that I received each night on my pillow & the slippers & robe. The best part of the hotel (other than the terrific service!) was the extra thought that they obviously put into the experience. They had LOTS of power outlets easily accessible and modern TV, BOSE Ipod radio with all the extra connectors in the room. One my floor they served coffee each morning- much better than an inroom machine which I hate to use! Had a printer & fax machine & PCs in the public office area & FREE WIFI throughout the hotel! I loved it! It really is important to the business traveler to have these amenities.
I hope I get to come back to Denver soon for work!

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank rhill639
Reviewed November 12, 2007

I have stayed in classic, older hotels before never felt quite so geriatric myself until I stayed at the Oxford. The lobby itself was very nice and the front desk clerk greeted me warmly - too bad he couldn't give me the room with the king size bed that I had booked. I took the extremely small and creaky elevator to my room with 2 queen beds and immediately had flashbacks of my grandmother's vacation house when I entered - unmatched wood dressers, loud chintz bedspreads with frayed edges, and a full length standing mirror that I couldn't use because it would only tilt toward the carpet. I almost fell over when I walked into the bathroom. There sat a toilet surrounded by huge metal support bars - the kind that one would use to take themselves from a wheelchair to a toilet. Interesting. The bathroom, though large, also had a few other problems. There was zero counterspace on the pedestal sink and only a tiny shelf for soap above the sink. I had to place my toiletries and make-up on the floor while trying to get ready - no easy task with the extremely dim lighting. The shower also was a bit creaky and alternated between hot and cold with no discernable pattern, maybe people in the other rooms were flushing toilets.

Besides the room's appearance, my lovely view of the air conditioning units on the rooftop below also added their loud and constant electrical buzzing to my sleep challenges. The hard mattresses were no help either. After my restless night, I woke at 7:00 to get ready for a business meeting and was greeted about 10 minutes later by banging and hammering sounds in the room next to mine. What fun. My breakfast arrived on-time but unfortunately cold. And I don't mean less than hot - I mean COLD. The potatoes were almost raw, but I did somewhat enjoy the frittata - saved from the bin by a healthy amount of very fresh veggies.

On a positive note, I thoroughly enjoyed the "Cruise Room" bar which was very lively for a Monday night and the complimentary coffee and tea in the lobby was a lifesaver!

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank marsmc888
TimelessOxford, Director of Operations at The Oxford Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2007

Thank you for your candid feedback. We are in the process of an ongoing renovation in our pursuit of addressing any physical deficiencies. Our goal at the Oxford is to embrace our rich history and past and blend that with 21st Century luxury service, amenities and technology. For this reason we are working to improve the hotel from a physical perspective and have recently added flat screen televisions and Bose Wave radios with iPod docking stations. We are required and fully desire to offer certain amenities and features in a few bathrooms to accommodate guests with disabilities and it sounds as though we inadvertently checked you into one of these rooms. We are sorry for this oversight.

I truly appreciate your willingness to share feedback and would love the opportunity to show you the capability of our team. Feel free to contact me personally as we would love to host you as our guest again.

Happy Holidays,

Reviewed October 31, 2007

My husband and I stayed here in mid-October for 4 nights. I have mixed feelings about the property. Some things we liked a lot, others not so much. Adam at the front desk was the best - very helpful and friendly, he always made us feel welcome -- he even checked us in early the day of our arrival - we did not expect our room to be ready and it was. Another employee who's name we did not catch was great when we called for an ice bucket. The lobby is warm and welcoming and they had a fire going in the fireplace the day it snowed (yes, in October) which was nice. We liked amenities such as the coffee service in the hallways in the morning, free wireless internet, proximity to the Oxford Spa (Allison's facial was the best), and use of the fitness center at the Spa. The location in downtown is optimal, which leads to a negative - noise. Some traffic noise, but very loud, drunk people walking the streets at night made it hard to sleep, not the hotel's fault, obviously, but something to consider if you are a light sleeper. Things we didn't like: $25 for valet parking! - ouch; we asked for a ride in the hotels car service and got an attitude; the mildew on the ceiling of our bathroom, and the extremely worn out carpet. If management is reading, please please please replace the torn, stained carpet in room 514. It was nice, but I am not sure if we would stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank VAbeachgirl
TimelessOxford, Director of Operations at The Oxford Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2007

We apologize that you encountered a staff member who was not friendly. We appreciate your candid feedback and will incorporate it into our ongoing service training. Encountering mildew in a bathroom is unacceptable to us as well. We have addressed this deficiency with our housekeeping staff. We also recognize that at times there exists distracting "urban noise" and we will continue to work through our security staff to address noise issues that are within our control. We would love to have you as our guests again. Please contact me directly to experience all our lovely property has to offer.

Reviewed October 29, 2007

We booked what was supposed to be a suite for $300 for 4 adults. It turned out to be just a room with a couch/hideabed that was very hard. The view out the windows was only of rooftops and brick buildings. There was no privacy, and the bathroom was so small that you could barely get undressed in there!!

This is a beautiful, conveniently located hotel, but it was ridiculous what we were charged. They had all the amenities, but I'd rather the skip the bathrobes and $5 bottle of water and give me a view and a larger room. The TV faced a wall - what's up with that? No chairs could go in front of it, and if you turned it, only 2 of us could watch the TV. Strange setup. Trying to make it work, but it didn't!!

Stayed: September 2007
1  Thank maxieVancouver98683

We have a wide range of rooms and room types and apologize that the one we selected did not exceed your expectations. We do not feel any guest should have to pay for an experience that does not meet his or her expectations. Please contact the hotel and ask to speak with Tina Moodie at 303-28-5400. We would love the opportunity to serve you again and would personally select a different room should you give us another chance.

Reviewed October 26, 2007

I really didn't expect to like the Oxford. It's obviously an "old school" hotel and I prefer the smell of new paint and freshly cleaned carpet. However, it was just for one night and it was close to the train station that we would be heading to in the morning. Despite the age the place is well maintained and the room was fairly large and comfortable. Outside noise was minimal and the front desk staff was above average. Check out my pics.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank otownrob
Reviewed August 16, 2007

On the last night of a family trip centered around seeing Mount Rushmore, we wanted to be in the heart of Denver. On the positive side, the Oxford is ideally situated one block from the 16th street Mall (a very nice fifteen-block promenade). It has some wonderful restaurants nearby (Gumbos was a treasure) and is perfectly located for access to the river trail, the performing arts center, and the various sports complexes. On the negative side, there is the snootiness of select members of the staff, a wretched cover-up smell of the room (aimed at hiding tobacco remnants), and a general lack of customer service.

When we first arrived, the curbside parking for the hotel valet had five cars occupying the entire section. After circling for roughly twenty minutes, the same five cars were there, including a van for a vendor in their lobby promoting their service. We eventually found metered parking. Upon entering the double doors to the lobby with our bags, we literally bumped into two employees on their way out the doors who rather than offer to assist, instead barreled right past us, not even noticing we were there. Perhaps they were on their lunch break, but the basic courtesy of yielding right of way to people schlepping bags or at least holding a door open as a nice gesture would have been appropriate, not as an employee, but a basic rule of etiquette.

While waiting for our turn to check in, two people popped behind the counter to collect documents from a printer. Neither took even a second to look up and at least acknowledge that they were not a desk clerk and that the one desk employee would be with us soon. This set the tone for nearly the entire stay (sans the valet at checkout, who was wonderful).

What perhaps is most vexing is that while we waited to check in, we were asked if we needed a house pet by a vendor in the lobby. While we are animal lovers, it felt a bit pressured to be hustled a dog or a cat while on vacation and checking into a hotel. Once in our room, we got a telemarketing call from their spa pushing us to make an appointment. This was after we already mentioned to the clerk at check in that we weren’t interested in the spa service.

If they would put half the effort they put into selling you more services while on site into making the stained plastic bathtub and ugly caulking a bit nicer, the rooms would be magnificent. The room itself is very well appointed, except for the bathroom. The psychotic temperature of the shower water is to be expected in an old building, but be prepared for a hot-to-icy-back-to-hot ride in the shower.

The only issue we have with the hotel itself is that we reserved a non-smoking room that they deemed to be tobacco-free after unloading enough “air-freshener” to kill any and all insects that may have been living in the room. The fact that only one of three windows opened (the other two were painted shut) didn't allow the fragrance to vent as it should have. All-in-all, it was a very below-average experience. We did have a great experience at the other two Denver area hotels we selected during this trip, but they aren't as ideally situated as the Oxford.

Be advised, this is NOT a place to stay with kids. They don’t promise to be, so it’s no fault on their part. If you wish to stay here with kids, plan many off-site activities (which there are several within walking distance).

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank Casualfamilytraveler
TimelessOxford, General Manager at The Oxford Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2007

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent experience at The Oxford Hotel. I apologize that you encountered so many problems that made your stay less than enjoyable. I am embarrassed by our poor service.

The Oxford Hotel is 100% smoke-free and when this policy is disregarded, we utilize a process to return the room to a safe nonsmoking status. Thank you for the feedback that the deodorizers we use are offensive. We will evaluate the chemicals and air purifier we use to explore alternatives.

As an organization that desires to support our local community, we do have partnerships with a wide variety of community based programs. As a pet-friendly hotel, The Denver Dumb Friends League is one of these organizations. On the day you arrived, we had granted space in the front of our building for them to park a van in an attempt to facilitate the adoption of several animals. Unfortunately on this day, the van experienced mechanical difficulties and lost the function of its air conditioning. We allowed the staff to work from our lobby due to the warm temperatures outside that day. After receiving your feedback, we have since communicated with the Denver Dumb Friends League to ensure they only operate outside of the hotel. We agree that such aggressive solicitation is unacceptable and appreciate your feedback.

The spa staff makes contact with our guests to make it easier for our guests to enjoy the many services we offer. We will work with the leadership team to ensure their verbiage is appropriate.

We have recently renovated the bedroom area of each room and are currently in the midst of a full scale bathroom renovation which is addressing the concerns you raised. This work is improving the aesthetics and functionality of the restrooms by changing fixtures to ensure even water temperature.

The issue of our poor service is of greatest concern to us. We strive every day to deliver world class service in an environment that embraces our historic character and charm while delivering 21st century service, amenities and technology to our guests. For you to have encountered “snootiness” is an embarrassment to our entire hotel and we believe was our worst offense. We are using your candid feedback as a training tool with all of our staff and will continue to strive for a greater level of consistency.

I trust you have received a personal response to your feedback from Tina Moodie, Director of Operations, with an invitation to return to The Oxford Hotel as our guest. We hope you will give us a second chance. I am certain you will experience a level of service that far exceeds your expectations. A level of service that is more representative of The Oxford Hotel.

Thank you again, for your candid and helpful feedback.

Ed Blair