“Problem after Problem”

GreenLeadersGold level
Kansas City, Missouri
“Problem after Problem”
Reviewed February 2, 2011

First off I saw a coupon on TripAdvisor for Brown Palace and tried to use on their online reservation (which is nothing but complicated). It refused to take it so I called the desk and they said they would charge my card full price till the day I got there to make sure it was legit. Honestly I would think if you were putting offers out there your management would know about all offers at the time. It was a real discount, but I was not about to chance it. Then I finally got another deal off their website but not as good as the first one. We arrived and was greeted by the valet which it was a whirlwind to get us out and to help the billion other cars. Needless to say we left some necessary items in the car. We arrived up in our room and it was beautiful. The view was looking at this shed of a place.... but honestly it didn't bother me. So we were settling down to go to bed and we wanted a bit more air conditioning... and it did not work. The desk said they were remodeling some rooms and ours was one to be remodeled. So they moved us to another room which the air worked fine. During that time my partner went to get the stuff from our car which happened to be in that shed. It took him an hour to get there and get back. So don't forget anything! I am pretty certain the valet service is not connected with the hotel but just contracted. I wanted our last night in Colorado to be a relaxing event and if anything it was the most uncomfortable of all of them. I am torn not to recommend this to anyone, it was beautiful but such a hassle.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
BrownPalaceHotel, Front Office Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, March 4, 2011
I apologize that you had difficulty booking with the TripAdvisor coupon. I can assure you that it is highly unusual for our team not to be versed in our specials and promotions. We appreciate your feedback and have taken immediate action to correct any future issues. In regard to your frustration with valet, our team is trained on five-diamond standards and our covered parking garage is just one block from the hotel for convenience and prompt delivery. We apologize for any disappointment you may have experienced and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back for a future stay.

In the Spirit of Hospitality,

Ryan Pratt
Director of Front Office Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (379)
  • Polish first
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed February 2, 2011

Friends and I have come to the holiday "high tea" every December for over 20 years. The ambiance, service, foods and tea, harpist and pianist and Old World charm keep us coming back year after year. It is magic!

And my husband and I enjoy having lunch or dinner at the Ship Tavern. It also exudes Old World charm with its antique collection of tall ships. Service and food are perfect.

ashleypeyton
Reviewed February 2, 2011

Our stay started out a little rocky because the room we were initially given had a runaway thermostat that was up to 76 degrees when we called the front desk. Neither of us can sleep when we're hot, so we asked to be moved and were given a "Top of the Brown" suite on the 9th floor. Probably the nicest hotel room I've ever stayed in. The bathroom had a huge soaking tub and separate shower. I think I took 3 baths every day we were there.

I cannot say enough about how beautiful this hotel is. The lobby is open to the first seven stories, and they had huge, gorgeous chandelier that was probably 4 stories tall. My only regret is that we didn't try the high tea, which is supposed to be fantastic and looked great. The valet service was good and didn't appear to be an additional charge on our bill when we checked out, which is unusual. They also have a Mercedes courtesy car that will take you anywhere within, I believe, a five mile radius.

Bonus Recommendation: I highly, highly recommend Carmine's on Penn in Cherry Grove if you like Italian food. It's family style, but there were just two of us and we split a couple of appetizers and it was just the right amount of food.

Colorado Springs
Reviewed January 9, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Brown Palace as part of a promotion to see the King Tut exhibit. Our room price included a corner king, Tut tickets, and valet parking. This is a classy place where most folks are either passing through on their way home from work or are there for some special occasion (like high tea). So most people are dressed nicely. Although we were in jeans we were treated like royalty from the minute they took our car. The hotel is beautiful with all the Mexican onyx, antiques, and stained glass ceiling. Our corner room was huge and has a very nicely updated bathroom. We had a great dinner and drinks in the Ship Tavern and a great breakfast the next morning. The only negative I might have was that the bed was a little hard for my liking but otherwise it was truly an exceptional mini-getaway!

Pearland, TX
Reviewed December 29, 2010

My husband and I stayed here for one night and we absolutely loved the experience! The hotel was so immaculately decorated for the holidays, it was breath taking! The staff were all very helpful and friendly! The bathroom in our room was gorgeous lol! Glass shower with the hotel logo etched in the glass, marble and granite floors and counters...it was great! The hotel is located next to 16th street which is a hotspot during the holidays for shopping, lights, etc. The next morning before checkout, we walked to Starbucks just a block away and took in some of the sights of downtown Denver (most notably was the church located near the Brown Palace...Gorgeous!) All in all, we had a wonderful time and hope to return some day!!

Virginia
Reviewed December 18, 2010

I prefer to stay at local, special hotels when I travel. Hence, the Brown Palace. I did not enjoy my stay at all. The hotel has an atrium bar that is extremely loud all day long and into the night until 8pm. It is flanked by Broadway, a major Denver thoroughfare and another busy street on the opposite side. After a fitful, in and out sleep, I was awoken at 4:00am by the lift they were using to hang the Christmas decorations. I checked out that morning. Not a biggie, but the TV signal was analog with a poor picture. Otherwise, no issues, room was clean and large, staff were fine. Location is great. I moved on to the Sheraton which has interior rooms at the Plaza Building and slept like a baby, highly recommend this alternative if you need a good night's sleep.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
BrownPalaceHotel, Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, December 22, 2010
Dear RobertM,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are glad you enjoyed your room, location and service and sincerely apologize for your disappointments. If I may clarify a few of your comments: Our lobby actually does not begin serving afternoon tea until 12 p.m. and then offers cocktails from 4:30 – 8 p.m. Guests enjoy complimentary internet access in our lobby, or our time honored tradition of tea, accompanied by house made scones, savory tea sandwiches and decadent pastries. The comfort of our guests is a top priority and in an effort not to disrupt our guests, holiday décor installation did not begin until nearly 9 a.m. Attracting visitors from around the world, the hotel is at its finest during the holidays, adorned with a 25-foot chandelier, 100,000 lights and more than 2,000 bulbs throughout the hotel. In regard to your comment about televisions, just this past weekend, we were pleased to install new HD flat-screen televisions in all of our guestrooms. I truly hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back for a future stay.

In The Spirit of Hospitality,

Hotel Management
Fort Collins
Reviewed December 7, 2010

Canceled my trip after they realized that the price that they originally gave me was not correct. They said there must have been a "computer glitch." They lost a customer that wanted to visit the Brown Palace for years.

Following was an email that I sent at: Tue, December 7, 2010 8:23:10 AM

Could you knowledge that you received my cancellation from Sunday?

By the way I am not impressed with your customer service. Reservations never called me back from when we spoke last Friday morning.
I even left a message for the reservation manager to call me back Friday afternoon. Still have not heard back.
You all quoted me the pricing and then tried to change it on me. Really. Is that how you do business? For years I was really looking forward to staying at the Brown Palace. You all took that thought away for me. NOT IMPRESSED.

Stayed December 2010
BrownPalaceHotel, Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, December 8, 2010
Dear n_rieger,

Thank you for your feedback. I am disappointed to hear your experience with the Reservations Department did not meet your expectations. I personally want to apologize for the delay in our response to your request for assistance. I received the email posted here and a member of our department contacted you to ensure your needs were met. I understand the reservation was changed for a future date and we do look forward to welcoming you then. In the meantime rest assured that I will be following up on the comments you have shared and taking appropriate action. Should you require further assistance please contact me directly.

In The Spirit of Hospitality,