The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection
GreenLeadersGold level
NYCity
“Full of Itself”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2007

My business travels take me to Denver at least once a year. I had always looked forward to staying at the Brown Palace and finally stayed there on my last trip to Denver. To call my stay disappointing would be gross understatement and give too much credit to management.

From the moment I walked into the hotel, I was treated rudely and felt any request was an imposition. I had to change rooms twice because of the lack of usable space for business. Room service should be called room delivery because there was no service, only a delivery person bringing food. I had the impression that, if possible, they would have preferred to slip the food under the door. In addition, housekeeping, when it did show up, came in mid-afternoon.

As for their famous afternoon tea, I sat for almost 1/2 hour before being asked if I wanted to order. The servers' ability to walk by the table and look through others as well as myself was almost superhuman.

Finally, at the end of my stay, I told the front desk staff how disappointed I was and they promised me that the general manager would contact me. I am still waiting.

As a postscript, I forgot a few items in my room. When I realized this, I called the hotel and was told that they knew that I had left these things, but had no intention of returning them to me until I called and gave them my Federal Express account number. When the items finally did arrive, they were simply thrown into a box, again giving the impression that they were doing me a favor.

Unless there are significant upgrades in physical plant, service and management for this historical place, this hotel should be history.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — service
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
7 Thank JHS153

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (359)
  • Polish first
new jersy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2007

By all means, book a few nights at the Brown Palace. Don't be scared away by the negative reviews. My husband and I book a few nights there with the kids every time we go skiing as an apres' ski trip treat. We will be stying there again in a few days. I am a tough customer, and easily jaded, however, the Brown Palace is one hotel that is just an oasis of elegance and graciousness. Please understand that this is coming from someone whose husband refuses to unpack on the first night of a trip, because he knows that I will be demanding a better room because _______________, (fill in the blank) Well, this has never happened at the Brown Palace. The place is a delight. The Sunday brunch is fabulous, and the service impeccable. (and I am not paid by Brown Palace) I can hardly wait to get there on Monday. In this world of Hoiday Inn type conformity, The Brown Palace is a welcome exception. The only possible complaint. I wish they would bring back the lovely gift shop that was there and deep six the crass and ugly magazine and junk souvineer shop that replaced it.

Stayed April 2006
4 Thank camillle
San Diego
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2007

The Brown Palace has so many issues. The GM of the hotel cant even run his property correctly. He is over staffed and is unable to keep with in the budget. I was recently a guest there and for some unknown reason this information fell into my lap. The name of the GM is Marcel Pitton and his mingions, Juan Pinada, Jeff Burrel and the rest of the EC. The hotel is a historical site and is far from being kept that way. It is sad to see such a great thing go to waste because of poor managment. If you stay at the Brown Palace, all you have to do is complain and they will practically give you your stay for free. There are too many things to list, but if I am going to list any, I must start at the top! There must be a change, to rekindle the reputation of this fine hotel. They are the lowest paying hotel as well in the Denver city, It truly is sad, and I will be for sure to pass on this horrible information to my fellow friends and co-workers. Becareful when you walk outside the hotel, you may be struck with a peice of sand stone that is falling from the sky, or should I say the roof and structure of the hotel. Like I stated before, there are too many falts to list. So if you must experience the Brown Palace, be caustious as to waht you are getting your self into, and try and imagine what it could be like, under proper management!

• Liked — Churchills
  • Disliked — The Brown Palace as a whole
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank SSdoc
New York, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2007

Stayed here for a night on business. This hotel is Old. Real Old. The bathroom, while perfectly clean, has not been renovated since literally 1940. There is limited water pressure in the shower, and the hot water in the sink or the shower takes forever because of how Old the building is. The mattress on the bed is very hard and the pillows are hard also - not what I am used to and not very comfortable (at least for me). Also, when I was there, only one elevator was working, so it was usually a long wait to get in the elevator, and folks would be packed in the elevator like sardines. Presumably, they are fixing the second elevator soon to somewhat ameliorate this problem. I prefer modern, so I will not stay at this hotel again. On the plus side, the food from room service is expensive but spectacular. Also, the hotel staff is exeedingly friendly and helpful, with one major exception.

When I was checking out, the lady at reception said "ok, 2 nights?" "No, just one night." "Oh, okay, you're right. Let me take this charge off." Then, she hands me a bill for $600. "Huh? I only stayed for 1 night! Why didn't you take the charge for the 2nd night off?" "Oh, I didn't? Let me check with the manager." It took literally 15 minutes to get the charge corrected, and the initial $600 charged removed from my credit card. This occurred while I was in a rush to leave for my business meeting. I'm getting angry just thinking about it right now. With that kind of experience as my parting gift, I was going to give this hotel a 2, but now I have to give it a 1 and warn anyone who ignores my advice and stays at this hotel to meticulously review their bill when they check-out.

• Liked — Food from room service
  • Disliked — uncomfotable bed, old bathroom, incompetent reception
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank MakeYouHumble!
Vancouver
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2007

This Hotel only cares about getting your money after that they could care less about the customer.

Very rude managers with a very poor idea on how a paying guest should be spoke too. I have stayed in this hotel twice but will never spend another day at The Brown Palace!

Waste of money!!!!!!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Poor Service. Rude Staff
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
BrownPalaceExecutive, Executie Assistant Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, February 25, 2007
The Brown Palace Hotel & Spa takes the utmost pride in our customer service and goes to whatever length necessary to reach complete satisfaction by our guests. This incident was thoroughly investigated by our staff and while the phone was not found, we agreed to replace his phone at full cost as a gesture of goodwill and hospitality.

wgc
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2007

Stayed her for a single night in September 2006.

This was the final hotel. We had extreme difficulty getting parked up to register at the hotel and must have gone around the block 3 times. Something to be aware of – this is valet parking, so everything needs to be out of the car as soon as you arrive.

The concierge at the hotel was extremely helpful, and managed to sort most stuff out for us – the noisy fan (though it was left with a slight hissing noise), the storage of our cases etc. whilst we went off sightseeing.

The hotel itself can be quite noisy, both with the atrium, piano playing and additional dining on the second floor. I would recommend a room further from the atrium. We were quite close, but the noise was only heard just inside the door in our room.

Also the hotel is quite old, and as such has a number of odd features – you have to step up into the bathroom – be aware of this.

There was also a business centre that you could use as a resident, which had access to the internet, and could be used to print off directions etc.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Parking and registration
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank joychild
Boston, MA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2007

The Brown Palace is a nice place but nothing special. The staff was very friendly and helpful but the rooms need updating. My shower was tiny as was my bathroom. The bathroom also had a step down which caused me to trip a few times. The bed was very comfortable however. Overall just average.

• Stayed January 2007, traveled on business