“Great Historical Place”

GreenLeadersGold level
Grand Junction, Colorado
“Great Historical Place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2010

Not only is the Brown Palace a great historical Place, but the service and accomodations are wonderful. My room was so comfortable and homey, I did not want to go to business meetings, just stay in the comfy bed. I am so sorry I did not get to take advantage of the "high Tea' in the afternoon. It looked so regal and the music was soothing.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (359)
  • Polish first
Avignon, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2010

1. Room safe was placed on the floor of a closet into which one has to crawl like a lizard in order to use it;
2. Coffee maker provided with coffee doses of wrong size and no place to plug it in;
3. Hotel operator called twice when I was in the shower to say that housekeeping wanted to deliver laundry but there was a "do not disturb" sign on my door!
4. Restaurant hours are short and inflexible;
5. The Ship's Tavern restaurant had grandiloquent descriptions of food choices, which only exaggerated further the mediocrity of the food.
6. Reception and concierge staff were invariably pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
BrownPalaceHotel, Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, August 26, 2010
Dear Davthor,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I am glad you found our reception and concierge staff pleasant and helpful and sincerely apologize for your aforementioned disappointments. If I may address a few of your concerns. I am regretful you found Ship Tavern to be mediocre as it is a local favorite known for the region’s best prime rib and lively piano entertainment, but we are we are proud to offer our guests six unique dining experiences. Our restaurant hours range from 6 a.m. to 11:30 p.m., consisting of three restaurants serving lunch and dinner, one serving breakfast and Sunday champagne brunch, traditional afternoon tea daily, a coffee shop offering beverages and pastries, and 24-hour room service. Concerning the call you received for laundry delivery – we make every effort to ensure delivery of dry cleaning by the time you have requested so as not to inconvenience you and we are not able to do so if there is a “do not disturb” sign on your door. I am very sorry if you found our attempts to deliver to be unsatisfactory. Again, thank you for sharing your comments and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2010

I stayed here for 5 nights. It's ok. It is clean, and the pianist is a nice touch. But the charges for everything are unreasonable. I found out on the 5th night of my stay that the wireless code that is suppose to only work in the lobby, works in my room. I'm actually using it now. I called to complain, because I feel as if I was deceived. The manager was rude, and talked down to me. I think he could have at least offered to comp 50% of the charges. That would have made me feel better.

I wish I had figured this out the first night I was here, and I could have saved money. They charge $9/day. I have a very demanding job that requires me to stay "on the grid". It's hard for me to concentrate in a lobby.

Get the code the first night, and save your money.

I'll be back to Denver, but not this hotel.

Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
BrownPalaceHotel, Front Office Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, July 12, 2010
Dear FloridaNASAgirl,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We make every effort to provide our business travelers with exceptional amenities including a 24-hour business center, complimentary Mercedes, on-site concierge and five distinct restaurants ranging from a casual pub to contemporary fine dining. Additionally, we perform ongoing research to offer competitive internet rates with several other luxury hotels in the area and apologize for your disappointment. After viewing your experience, we are currently in the process of updating our system for complimentary access in the lobby and assure you that this has been resolved. We sincerely apologize for any confusion or inconvenience that may have occurred and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Ryan Pratt
Director of Front Office Operations
ZP83
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2010

I thought for Valentines Day and my one year anniversary with my partner we would splurge and stay at the Brown's because of its historical appeal. I wanted to stay in the Teatro however, I thought I would give this a shot because I ALWAYS stay at the Teatro in Denver. However, my heart still stays with the Hotel Teatro. It is simply not up to par with the Teatro at all. The service does not feel as personalized. The Sunday brunch was mediocre at best that we attended. The room was huge however, just very very dated compared to other hotels in the area. The car service was not very well organized compared to the Teatro. The furniture in the hotel lobby was embarrassing because some of the legs were missing off of the chairs. The beds were not very comfortable I found. The sheets were too scratchy for me and the bed cover generated so much static and often shocked me. I think the Brown's has appeal to another generation, just not my style at all. A little too old and not up to par with other hotels in Denver. Overall to be honest it is a FAIR hotel nothing very special.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
BrownPalaceHotel, Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, June 29, 2010
Dear ZP83,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. Our sincere apologies for your disappointment. The Brown Palace Hotel and Hotel Teatro were actually both recently included in the 500 World’s Best Hotels by Travel + Leisure 2010, and were the only two Denver hotels to achieve this. To clarify a few points you mentioned, as Denver’s only hotel to receive both the prestigious Four-Star and Four-Diamond ratings for more than 30 years, we adhere to a high standard of quality and take great pride in providing our guests with attentive service. In order to achieve these ratings we follow strict standards and missing legs on furniture in our lobby would not be permissible. While we are a historic luxury hotel, we are pleased to offer our guests modern amenities such as LCD flat screen televisions, iPod docking stations and wireless Internet, as well as stunning new marble bathrooms and a luxurious spa. You also mentioned attending our renowned Sunday Champagne Brunch, which features cooked- and carved-to-order items, a large salad and seafood presentation, chef-prepared desserts, and three choices of champagne as well as live music. We are sorry you did not find it more than mediocre as it is consistently awarded one of the best brunches in Denver. We believe that our historic charm, superior service and modern amenities provide our guests with a unique and unparalleled experience and we are regretful you did not enjoy your time with us.

Anoka, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2010

We spent 5 days in Denver visiting our son and future daughter-in-law. For Mother's Day, they booked us a room at the Brown Palace, which is a fantastic facility. And it is within walking distance of great shopping, eating, and entertainment venues.

Our favorite part of our stay was a visit to the Ship Tavern where visiting and local singers often stop in to entertain. Shortly after we arrived, two performers sang show tunes to the guests--one singer used to perform at the Met in New York --wandering around the tables sharing their beautiful voices! A wonderful surprise!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Bangor, Maine
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2010

This is actually a pretty tough review. There is so much about the Brown to admire. The original architectural details (the atrium, the amazing woodwork, the exterior of the building - check out those antique floor dials above the elevator doors) are outstanding. The service is absolutely marvelous - attentive, professional, just really above and beyond. Some places just manage to exude a certain charm - a kind of well-preserved bonhomie. The Brown sure does. You WANT to love it here - they clearly work so hard and take enormous pride in their hotel. They say the devil is in the details - and the Brown gets all the details right.

Well, the devil may be in the details, but the comfort is elsewhere...and here, the Brown is a mixed bag. First, though I know this chalks up a lot to personal taste - the beds are insanely firm. I found mine quite uncomfortable: I've slept on futon mattresses that had more give than this. The pillows are also surprisingly meager (though a quick call is all it takes to get more). Preserving the building's original architecture also makes for some unusual rooms. Mine, for instance, had a spacious entryway and a VERY generously-sized bedroom, but only one small closet and a bathroom that was, frankly, not much bigger. I mean, the bathrooms...yikes. Don't get me wrong, it was scrupulously clean, and what there is of it is nice enough: nice fittings, terrific toiletries. But my room had a stand-up shower only; the shower head looked like a detachable handheld one, but wasn't; the water took quite a while to warm up; and, oddly, the shower curtain had about a half-inch gap at the bottom where it should have met the floor, so water got everywhere when I took a shower. Also, the whole bathroom itself was raised up a step from the bedroom, so I kept tripping on the way in, and falling on the way out. I see from previous reviews that management says they're nearing the completion of a lot of bathroom overhauls: mine wasn't hit yet, I don't think, because I certainly didn't see any marble, and there were a few broken tiles.

And, I'm sorry, but $8 a day for wi-fi??? Give me a break. This is 2010, not 1996.

I really almost feel bad pointing these things out. I do. The Brown is just so...gracious, overall. It's a magnificent property, it really is. And I'm not saying, "don't ever stay here" - not even close. But a little of this being off, and a little of that being off, and suddenly instead of old-fashioned charm, you get a sense of a grand dame desperately clawing to keep pace with the times. It's like visiting your grandparents: it's a comfortable enough place to have tea or dinner, but spending the night there can be a bit depressing. Nostalgia is a bitter mistress.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank sbutterfield207
BrownPalaceHotel, Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, June 18, 2010
Dear sbutterfield207,

We truly appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback about your stay and thank you for all of your kind comments regarding our service, cleanliness, architecture and charm. As you mentioned, we are near the completion of an $8 million guestroom renovation, which has included new flat screen televisions, new carpeting, wall vinyl, tiled entries and crown molding as well as beautiful new bathrooms. In deed, it sounds as though your room did not have an updated bathroom quite yet. Our new bathrooms do not have a step and are adorned with sophisticated silver fixtures, marble tile, granite countertops and dual showerheads. We make every effort to provide our guests with modern amenities and accommodations amidst the elegance of our historic architecture and it is through these updates and consistently high levels of service that we have maintained our Four Star, Four Diamond rating for more than 30 years and were recently chosen as one of the Top 500 World’s Best Hotels by Travel + Leisure, 2010. Thank you again for sharing your experience and we hope to welcome you back to experience these luxurious additions.

Fort Collins, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2010

I spent one night at the Brown Palace as part of a small group of people attending an awards ceremony at the Brown Palace's Ballroom. I found the hotel to be overrated and not worth the expense. Perhaps I was expecting too much due to the "hype" I had heard, but I have stayed a better Holiday Inns as far as the room is concerned. Positive: Beautiful decore in the lobby, great location, extended check-out time available, friendly and helpful staff, delicious food. Negative: Overpriced, small stuffy rooms, room cleanliness was sub-par, bed was too firm, valet has no room (you must park in the street and block traffic), you can hear doors slam out in the hallway as you try to sleep, toilet flushed poorly, water temp in shower varied throughout bathing.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
BrownPalaceHotel, General Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, June 10, 2010
Dear Haystack3001,

Thank you for taking the time to provide a summary of your experience. We are delighted that you had a positive experience with our service, décor, location, food and check-out time, and apologize that you were disappointed with your room. We take great pride in providing comfortable accommodations for each guest and are near the completion of an $8 million guestroom renovation, having recently installed new flat screen televisions, new carpeting, wall vinyl, tiled entries and crown molding, as well as stunning new marble bathrooms, which are nearly complete. We truly value your feedback and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back.