The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection
Ranked #23 of 160 Hotels in Denver
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 15, 2008

My Husband and I spent 3 nights here during August. We enjoyed our stay. The Hotel, according to the locals is steeped in History.

Our Room was spacious, Clean and Comfortable.
The downstairs area had a real ambience about it. Staff were Friendly and Helpful.

We dined in two of their Restaurants. Ellyntons, where we had Breakfast. The food and service was great.
and Ships Tavern where the food was also good. However the airconditioning was very cold.

Although this hotel is reasonalby pricey, you do get value for money.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (1,807)

Reviewed October 8, 2008

The Brown Palace used to be one of my favorite hotels—a place where I could count on the rare combination of historic charm and excellent service. A recent weekend visit was marred, from beginning to end, by a series of service problems. I would like to think that we just had a run of bad hotel luck, but the fact that the problems occurred at every juncture in the stay suggests there may be systemic management problems at this hotel. I have never written a negative hotel review before and it pains me to do so about the Brown Palace, but our stay was so completely disappointing that I think it is fair to share the details.

Although no one else was checking in when we arrived, the two desk clerks seemed uninterested in assisting us. Our online request (made through the hotel’s website) for a room on a high floor away from an elevator produced a room on a low floor next to an elevator. There was trash on the bathroom floor. The bathroom sink faucet didn’t just drip—it ran and could not be turned off. However, the sound of running water did help drown out the late-night noise from well-lubricated wedding guests reveling in the atrium. There were burned-out light bulbs in the bathroom and in the bedroom. The batteries in the tv remote control were so low that it was difficult to operate the television. Turn-down service never made an appearance.

Dinner at the Ship Tavern was not pleasant. It was a busy Saturday night; the restaurant was under-staffed and service, though very friendly, was painfully slow. A draft beer had to be returned (after a 10-minute wait), because the keg had not been properly maintained and the beer had spoiled. The food was mediocre and overpriced to the point of what can only be called arrogance.

When we were ready to leave the hotel, valet parking had “misplaced” our car and a 20-minute search, perhaps understandable at a busy time of the day, but not at 5:00 am, was necessary.

Had we complained, some of the problems with the room could have been solved. From my perspective, however, when you stay at an iconic hotel and pay commensurate prices, management’s attention to detail should mean that when you check into your room, it will be clean and free of the types of problems we encountered.

If this had been my first visit to the Brown, I would certainly not return. As I’ve had a number of pleasant visits there in the past, I may give it another chance. However, I do find it worrisome that so many different aspects of service failed to measure up to acceptable standards during our stay. Think carefully before booking a room at this hotel. Its glory days would appear to be part of its glorious past.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank fulmar
Reviewed October 1, 2008

The Brown Palace is always an incredible experience. The service is exemplary at all levels, the hotel itself is beautiful and well-kept, the rooms are exquisite and comfortable. This time we availed ourselves of the Spa, which was also a treasured experience. Cocktails at Churchill's is always a delight.
Kudos, as always, to the staff and management of the hotel. Well worth the money.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 19, 2008

I have stayed here the past several years traveling on business for a conference. I love this hotel.

The location is fantastic - walking distance to both the 16th St mall and Denver Convention Center. They also have a concierge car that will take you places downtown for free (for tips). The lobby is quite beautiful, as is pretty much the whole hotel. Due to it's historic nature, I have to say the rooms are smaller than you would expect, especially if you are in a Queen room, but this did not bother me at all. I think they also allow dogs, which I thought was pretty cool.

In response to some of the other review saying they felt they were treated snobbily, I have to disagree. I am a 25 year old female who travels on business fairly often. When I fly, I don't dress up and I look young for my age anyway, so when I check in, I often look like a teenager coming in alone. I have always been treated very well and respectfully by all the employees, just as if I was a middle aged businessman with an expensive suit. I have never felt out of place at the Brown Palace, even though much less expensive hotels have indeed made me feel this way.

The hotel itself is quite expensive -- wireless internet has a daily fee (though they have a free business center), and room service or the restaurants are pricey. For such an expensive place, I kind of think internet should be included, but that's just me. I found the food to be quite good. I also went to the spa, which was also on the pricey side, but was one of the better spa experiences I have ad -- very professional and luxurious.

In general, I find the luxuriousness and especially the location of this hotel to be quite worth the price and I have really enjoyed staying here.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed September 14, 2008

This hotel was a wonderful nights stay. The staff was consistantly attentive and friendly. I felt like I a Queen! The hotel spa was a relaxing retreat. And, again the staff was attentive and friendly. The common areas were always checked and kept in clean tidy order. We had dinner in the Tavern, again - perfection! On Sunday morning they serve a fabulous champagne brunch in Ellington's. It was fit for a King. In closing I would recommend experiencing any portion of what this hotel has to offer - you will not be disappointed. Whether it be just a mani-cure / pedi cure to a full night stay with dinner and breakfast.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 5, 2008

They were great! Awesome service and great facility! I will def. go back again and spend more time at the brown palace. I fell asleep 3 times during the massage...the perfect get away!

Stayed: July 2008
1  Thank relax123
Reviewed September 4, 2008

My friend and I stayed for three nights in a Top of the Brown room with two Queen sized beds. Well worth the slight cost difference. Lovely room, fabulous service, absolutely the most comfortable beds, daily complimentary spa gifts...just amazing. This hotel is so beautiful, it was fun to walk around and just look at everything. Turn of the century elegance with up to date amenities. Completely top of the line.
We had room service for dinner twice and the food was excellent as well.
The 16th street outdoor mall was close walking distance, and St. Lukes(reason for visit) was very close by and an easy drive as well.
I'm trying to make a reason to come back and visit soon!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with friends