“Beautiful hotel and great service” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection
Ranked #26 of 154 Hotels in Denver
GreenLeadersGold level
Dallas, TX
“Beautiful hotel and great service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2014

I stayed two nights at the Brown Hotel and attended a conference there last month. The hotel itself is historical and beautiful. My king room was spacious and the bed very comfortable. I loved having a ceiling fan in my room as well. Housekeeping also did a fantastic job each day. The doormen and front desk personnel were always helpful with anything I asked. The one issue I have with the hotel, and what kept me from giving it 5 stars, is that the hotel charges $13/day for internet service. I find this ridiculous when I'm already paying $270/night for a room. No hotel in this day and age, especially one that hosts conferences, should be charging extra for internet service.

I had one lunch in the Ship's Tavern which consisted of crab cakes and seafood chowder. Both were delicious. Lunchtime was busy and since I was by myself, the waiter even thought enough ahead to try and get my order in ahead of the other larger tables in the restaurant. Great service!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank zihuatcat

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2014

I just got back from my most recent stay at the Brown Palace, and it never fails to make me leave with a smile on my face. I have been staying here for a little over 13 years now and won’t even consider staying anywhere else in Denver. Of course it’s an amazingly beautiful building, with all of the perks one would expect with a hotel of this caliber; however it’s the staff that truly sets The Brown Palace apart from anywhere else I have ever stayed. From the moment of pulling up in front and seeing Leroy out front it just feels like home. He always greets me with a hug and a smile and that just sets the tone for the rest of my stay.

I have always stayed on the 8th and 9th floors, as they are a bit larger, and have a bathtub that I can actually stretch out in. The bedding is amazingly soft and beds are very comfortable. The rooms on these floors have not been re-decorated at least in my time staying here, however they have taken extra care to make sure that everything is very clean and nothing looks too terribly warn. I needed some help finding a couple of restaurants downtown as well as to get some info on local events and Vince at Concierge was amazing. After first meeting him every time I saw him the rest of the weekend he made a point to stop and say Hi with a smile. This is the type of staff that sets this hotel apart from all others.

I usually take advantage of room service, and this trip was no different. Anything you order off the menu will be amazing. The quality of food, even off of the late night menu is better than anything I ate all weekend anywhere else in Denver. I am usually tempted to just not leave the room between the amazing food, stellar staff, and beautiful surroundings. There are no words to describe the level of service and love that goes in to this establishment from all levels. This is why I will only stay at the Brown Palace when I am in Denver.

Room Tip: 8th and 9th floor have a little larger rooms
Green Features: Always feels good to support a business that is Eco friendly
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sean F
BPManager, General Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Dear Sean,

Please know that we appreciate your ongoing loyalty to The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa and are proud to be your destination of choice in Denver.

I was delighted to hear that our team always provides you with exceptional service and that they make you feel like a part of our family here at the Brown. Our employees are unquestionably one of our greatest assets and I will make sure I reach out to both Vince and Leroy and let them know how much you appreciated their service.

I know how precious time is and we value your insight and your willingness to share your hotel experience with others.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2014

We were in town for a conference and stopped by the brown palace hotel for dinner at the ship tavern. Dean was our waiter and was absolutely incredible! He knew the menu and was able to articulate the options wonderfully. He was so attentive and never let our glasses get half way down. He had a smile the entire time and made our meal so enjoyable!
Best server in Denver!!

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank jsgoebb
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2014

I stayed at the Brown Palace for a girls' night out due to the location of the hotel to downtown Denver. Turns out, it was perfect! Well within walking distance to the 16th Street Mall where all of the night life action is!

The room was clean, well lit and had great views. The bedding was soft and luxurious. I'm not sure what type of mattress but it was so comfortable!

The price is definitely expensive (around $470 with tax) but if you have the extra money to spend, I recommend it.

Room Tip: Valet is free is you are using the day spa!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Bmatt86,

Thank you for staying at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa. I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and that you had a good time downtown during your girl's night out. We appreciate that you took the time to write about your stay and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Johnstown, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2014

Have stayed several times at Brown Palace. Staff is always courteous and helpful, rooms good, and historic charm that this not left to deteriorate but is kept up and modernized as needed in rooms. Fun to play with the rotary phones that are located thru out the hotel that connect you to the front desk. Food and service as you would expect in upscale hotel, and piano player in bar on weekends.

Room Tip: Try a corner suite, very roomy
Green Features: take the historical tour of the hotel and see where the presidents stayed
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank William O
MusicTraveler2
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2014

First of all, the Brown Palace is an incredible romantic hotel, what a great place to go for a special occasion. Great staff, particularly Zak and Mike, and wonderful amenities. Rooms are nicely decorated while maintaining a historic touch.
Now i'll take them, and almost every other luxury hotel I've ever stayed in, to task. From our room when we checked in we could hear soft piano music drifting up, and looked forward to going to the piano bar later. ( I think every hotel of this caliber should have a pianist or other musicians on staff, it wouldn't be the same without it.) After a great dinner we sat down next to the piano in the Ship Tavern and though the pianist was excellent the piano was so out of tune and damaged that it almost ruined the effect. I have seen one hotel and restaurant after another that will purchase a piano and then literally never, ever maintain it. It is inexplicable to me how they can have a great instrument, pay an excellent pianist, and not spend a couple hundred dollars a year to maintain the piano. TUNE THE DAMN THING! It isn't the pianists job, it is the hotels. It is such an incredible boost to the ambiance, and for just a little bit of thought could be so much better. It is easy, and will keep your piano in good shape and playing well for decades. My one regret in writing this is some manager will read it and decide it isn't worth keeping a piano around, but it is! My two cents anyway....
Back to how great the hotel is now. It really is a place everyone in Denver should experience if they have a chance. And if you're traveling from out of town make sure not to miss it if you can. It is a Marriott Autograph property, so even you points lovers can enjoy it. Fantastic food and drink and wonderful amenities made for a great weekend.

Green Features: The hotel has recycling bins in the rooms in addition to trash
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MusicTraveler2
BPManager, General Manager at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Dear MusicTraveler2,

Thank you for staying at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa. I was delight to learn that you enjoyed most of your visit and we greatly appreciate the kind words and suggestions you have about our staff and hotel. I will reach out to both Zak and Mike and let them know about your gracious comments.

I will also reach out to our lead pianist about the piano in the Ship Tavern. We do monthly tune ups of all our pianos, but I will let them know about your comments in the hopes that we can do maintenance to them more often.

We truly are greatful for your willingness to share your insight and experiences with us and we look forward to welcoming you back.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

Hotel has great obeisance. Rooms are spacious. Hotel staff services were excellent. Restaurant service was slow. Took 10 min before the server came to my table. Valet was a savior for us... Definitely recommend to friend's.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends