“Nice Hotel With Character”

The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection
Ranked #23 of 160 Hotels in Denver
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 11, 2008

I recently stayed at the Brown Palace while on business. This is a nice historic hotel with a lot of character. The grand lobby takes you back to the turn of the century . Room decor is maintained for the period with comfortable beds, huge windows but updated with well-controlled central air and a nice large screen TV. The one downside was the plumbing. The bathrooms have been maintained with the original tile floors and walls, the tub is the original tub so, the bathroom is somewhat dated but large and functional. My bathtub had a drain problem with water not emptying out for quite some even after calling maintainence. Also had a problem with the sink (severely leaky faucet) but otherwise a nice room. If you need a modern bathroom this might not be the best choice for you. Staff were very attentive and helpful and the location is convenient to most downtown attractions. Free internet access as well as a nice bar and restaurant in the hotel. There is also a spa but I didn't utilize that. Overall a nice historic hotel, comfortable, with character.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (1,790)

Reviewed August 2, 2008

First Impressions not to be trusted! Stayed one night in Denver after a great vacation in Estes Park/Rocky Mountain National Park. Upon arrival at Brown Palace, was most impressed with the hotel and staff. Hotel was beautiful and staff was very nice, professional, welcoming.
Until 10 PM when we started hearing what sounded like a cross between an alarm going off and a truck backing up - an intermittant BEEP BEEP BEEP of varying lengths. Impossible to sleep. Called the front desk at 12:45 AM. Was told that they were cleaning the banisters and that it would only be a couple more minutes. Sound continued for another hour. Called front desk again at 1:45 AM. Again told it would be a couple of more minutes. Eventually, at 2 AM, we were moved to the top floor where we could not hear the cleaning machines. Finally fell asleep around 3:30 AM and had to get up at 6:30.

When checking out, we were asked how our stay was. When we said that we had a terrible night, had almost no sleep and that it was caused by the hotel itself, we were met with blank stares and a very weak, "Well, have a nice day."!! Not even an apology.

If you prefer sleep to ultra-clean banisters, do not stay here.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank RandLa
Reviewed July 27, 2008

I recently stayed at the Brown Palace with my husband and 2-year-old daughter. My husband was there for a short conference so we tagged along.

This hotel definitely has a charm to it. It has a very interesting history, which the bellman filled us in on while showing us to our room. In fact, there are tours of the hotel two times a week.

The room wasn’t large, but was well appointed. The décor and furnishings seemed to accurately reflect the historic aspects of the hotel as well.

We did not use any of the hotel restaurants so we can’t comment on that. The afternoon tea in lobby looked great and I would definitely give it a shot on another visit without a 2-year-old.

Only problem we had was with the lack of hot water. In fact, we never had hot water – only lukewarm.

The location is definitely a plus. It is right off the 16th street mall and is within walking distance of the art museum, etc. The downtown location makes it convenient to take the bus to various places as well. We grabbed the 32 bus to get to the zoo and the 20 bus to go to the science museum. Both picked up and dropped off right across from the hotel. The little one was free and adults are only $1.75 so it was a great deal.

There are a lot of places to eat within walking distance or by using the free shuttle along the 16th street mall. There’s a lot of chains, but there are some good local options as well. We tried Mici (Italian / pizza), Wynkoop Brewery and Apaloosa Grill, among others. All were very good. Also had cupcakes from Yum Yum bakery. OK, but I’ve had better “gourmet” cupcakes.

Tip: The hotel charges for Wi Fi access; however, if you cross the bridge to the Comfort Inn, you can get it for free in their lobby!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed July 15, 2008

The toilet leaked and the toilet tank would refilled in the middle of the nigh. The conceirge gave me incorrect directions and ignored me on another request. I was even charged me for a meal I never ate even though they said I would not be charged. The worst is when I wrote to the managing director to complain and received a form letter that never addressed my issues but thanked me for bringing my problems to his attention and assured me that my next stay will be better. Oh well, I guess some things do float to the top!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank Meathunter
Reviewed July 10, 2008

We spent a Saturday night at this beautiful hotel. Right in the heart of Denver and the outdoor mall, we had a wonderful time. I enjoyed a message in the spa and it was one of the best I have had. On our way out of town on Sunday, we had Brunch in the restaraunt at the hotel. I have to say that it was truly the best brunch I have ever had. I definatly will be back to the Brown Palace.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank donnapp
Reviewed July 8, 2008

The Brown Palace was absolutely fabulous! Everyone was very friendly, helpful and accomodating. Just before we arrived their computer system went down, and they handled it beautifully. Not many places could run that smoothly without the computers. Everyone was so wonderful, they made you feel like you had come home. I also strongly recommend the Spa, my massage was wonderful. I will definately stay at the Brown Palace the next time I am in the Denver area.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank SharonLP
Reviewed June 30, 2008

I can't wait to go back to the Brown. We did the Light Up The Night Package, which was delightful and a good deal for the level of service we received. The free car service, knowledgeable concierge and consistently helpful and friendly staff made our anniversary stay so memorable. Our room was small but cozy and authentic to a turn of the century style. The only down side was that some things in the room did not work properly (shower drain, clock radio,..) but we were having too much fun hanging out in the atrium and soaking in the history, so we didn't report it. I'm sure if we had, the staff would have remedied the situation promptly.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple